PDA

View Full Version : head, cam swap now no spark?

99408kotar/t
02-26-2009, 12:58 AM
i unplugged the connector on the bottom of the coil and ran a test light on it. at first it would light up when the key was turned on but wouldnt light when i cranked it over. then the light wouldnt light up at all. Bad relay possibly? or bad crank sensor which i hope it isnt because that is a beotvh to get to. any suggestions?

dakotapimpc
02-26-2009, 05:55 PM
either a bad cam or crank sensor i have changed both in mine they arent to bad the cam sensor is under the dist cap you can do that one by just removing the cap and rotor i did mine withouut even unpluging the plug wires the crank sensor i broke wen i did the 408

99408kotar/t
02-26-2009, 10:10 PM
thanks for the ideas. i had a buddy bring a scan tool and it was throwing a P0320 which was ignition and crank related. we unplugged the crank sensor on my dads 5.9 ram and it threw the same code. the scan tool could check for engine rpm and while cranking we got nothing. we also found out that my dad was probing the wrong side of the plug for the coil. i did it today and it checked out fine. so im 95% sure its the crank sensor now

jkcomp
02-27-2009, 12:52 AM
i unplugged the connector on the bottom of the coil and ran a test light on it. at first it would light up when the key was turned on but wouldnt light when i cranked it over. then the light wouldnt light up at all. Bad relay possibly? or bad crank sensor which i hope it isnt because that is a beotvh to get to. any suggestions?

Is the rotor turning when you crank it?

bad360rt
02-27-2009, 12:57 AM
If it is the crank sensor, it's easier to get to if you pull the passenger side tire and fender liner, then it's right there. :biggthumpup:

Lederip
02-27-2009, 02:11 AM
If it is the crank sensor, it's easier to get to if you pull the passenger side tire and fender liner, then it's right there. :biggthumpup:

Its an easy swap--you can even do it in a hotel parking lot:D

mtlcafan79
02-27-2009, 02:38 AM
Or better yet, get your buddies to rewire your truck for you!

99408kotar/t
04-22-2009, 03:57 AM
thanks btw it was the crank sensor