PDA

View Full Version : rear end noise

03DakR/T
02-06-2009, 03:17 AM
ok i so bought my truck in september, with only 29,000 miles from an older guy. it was bone stock. bout a month later i was hearing a poppin noise in the rear, had to have the rear end rebuilt.

NOW..

i didnt notice this until about 1,000 miles after the rear end got built because i went easy on it. if i drive the speed limit, maybe up until 70mph, it sounds normal. if i get in the mood and lay into it, when i get to about 85 mph somethin sounds horrible back there. i cant really describe it, it sounds alot like a wheel bearing, but it doesnt do it all the time, just at high speed. i took it back to the dealership, and they said everything sounded normal. i brought it back home and put it on my lift and put it in drive and it doesnt do it just free spinning without pressing the gas, put if you give it some throttle it whines like crazy. i took it back up there and the dealership said if it whines while its in the air it is because the rear end has no load on it. that may be true but it shouldnt sound like the damn rear end is about to come out from under the truck. so basically idk what it is. the dealer says its fine but it definitly isnt. there is no play in the u-joint at all. i was thinking maybe a wheel bearing, but if it was a bearing wouldnt it be loud all the time? i only have like 2500 miles on the new rear end so i doubt it is that. any help?

and why the hell cant i make my signature picture any bigger.

Timmay
02-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Thats the classic sign of a rear end bearing going....

03DakR/T
02-07-2009, 03:53 AM
which one do you think it is? isnt there a bearing on each side of the differential? they told me when they rebuilt it they replaced everything inside there, guess not. the truck is still under warrenty. i think i will take it to another dealer and see what they say. i want this fixed before i start to add things to it.