PDA

View Full Version : 4.7 hard start issue

blk00rt
01-02-2009, 12:34 AM
On my dads 2002 grand cherokee.
It cranks and eventually starts but sometimes he has to hold cranking it for 10+ seconds to get it to start. It always does start.
He has replaced the following items
battery
crank sensor
cam sensor
fuel pump
Tune up
Our Mechanic connected to his drb and everything read fine. He is also stumped as to what it can be. The Jeep is factory so nothing has been altered.

Any Ideas?

thanks

emwhiteR/T
01-02-2009, 02:33 AM
Bad or failing coils? Spark Plugs?

I dunno but I am just throwing out random ideas...

DobaMark
01-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Is it every time or just if it's cold and sitting a while?

I've had two issues, one was a Dakota that bled back pressure when it set. If I cycled the key a couple times pressure built and it started right up. I don't know if the pressure regulator is separate from the pump in your design.

Also, I had a van with a bad coolant temp sensor. It was hard to start cold, even stumbled a little until it warmed up.

blk00rt
01-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Is it every time or just if it's cold and sitting a while?

I've had two issues, one was a Dakota that bled back pressure when it set. If I cycled the key a couple times pressure built and it started right up. I don't know if the pressure regulator is separate from the pump in your design.

Also, I had a van with a bad coolant temp sensor. It was hard to start cold, even stumbled a little until it warmed up.

its every time when it is cold. The fuel pump assembly is like the dak's with the regulator included. That is new too. The sensor is within range according to our mechanic. All sensors were checked with the drb.

blk00rt
01-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Bad or failing coils? Spark Plugs?

I dunno but I am just throwing out random ideas...

I thought the coil too but our mechanic said the drb claimed it was in range.
Plugs are new done during a tune up by me.

Fltlander
01-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Plugs are new done during a tune up by me.

Now we know the reason why you're having problems.......

JK.....LOL !!!!!!!!!

How ya been Rob?

blk00rt
01-03-2009, 12:52 AM
Now we know the reason why you're having problems.......

JK.....LOL !!!!!!!!!

How ya been Rob?

Good Jeff,
just picked up my new torque converter for the truck and tomorrow is engine pulling day on the dart. Getting it ready for the magnum 360 to drop in for spring time.

You guys doing ok?

Fltlander
01-03-2009, 01:01 AM
Ya we're doing alright...Been off since Oct. Hopefully will be able to find a job in the new year. Tell the wife and kids we said "hi" and hopefully we can make it to Woodward this year.

blk00rt
01-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Ya we're doing alright...Been off since Oct. Hopefully will be able to find a job in the new year. Tell the wife and kids we said "hi" and hopefully we can make it to Woodward this year.

will do, hopefully "Her" car will be driving by then. That way I can drive the truck for a while and she can bring out the dart for some fun.

llpoteat
01-06-2009, 12:56 AM
Check your fuel line for a small leak. My Dak started doing that and I just delt with it until I started to smell fuel and found out there was a leak in the fuel line. It lasted like that for a while before i could smell the leak.