PDA

View Full Version : ABS/Brake light????

chadrt99fr
12-17-2008, 10:19 PM
both the abs and E-brake lights are coming on... checked all the fuses and wire connctions and all is good. seeing as my r/t does not have ABS what the heck is the deal???? e-brake cable is also free. any one have any ideas?
thanks- chad

Nolan
12-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Rear wheel ABS is standard on Dakotas.

Sounds like the rear axle speed sensor. Does your speedometer work OK under 20-30mph?

Nolan

chadrt99fr
12-18-2008, 04:04 AM
actually no! i just noticed that the speedo doent work under 30mph.... rear wheel speed sensor... tell me all you know!

Nolan
12-18-2008, 07:26 AM
tell me all you know!

That would take a long time!

The search function is your friend!
Search Results "rear speed sensor" (http://dakotart.com/forum/search.php?searchid=273961)

Nolan

razman131
12-18-2008, 01:29 PM
rear wheel speed sensor... tell me all you know!

very very common problem on all Dodge trucks and vans. suprisingly, Dodge did not publish any TSB or recall(??) on this prob. if it happened under your warranty, maybe they would fix it otherwise its a ~$69 part at the stealership (tho recently i saw it on rockauto)

BluRT00
12-18-2008, 04:50 PM
both the abs and E-brake lights are coming on... checked all the fuses and wire connctions and all is good. seeing as my r/t does not have ABS what the heck is the deal???? e-brake cable is also free. any one have any ideas?
thanks- chad

Rear speed sensor has gone out, as Nolan stated. Pretty simple, order the sensor from Rockauto.com.. Enless you need it ASAP, than locally should have it. Rock auto seems to be the best price, as I bought from them 4 yrs ago my same sensor. Jack rear of truck up, put on jackstands, than slide under. Its on the top left of the differential housing if you are looking at it from the front. One bolt is all that holds it in, not a hard fix at all. Good luck. Dan

razman131
12-18-2008, 08:32 PM
One bolt is all that holds it in, not a hard fix at all. Good luck. Dan

one bolt with two nuts on it. PITA as its not very ergonomic to work in that area.

chadrt99fr
12-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Thanks guys that is actually alot of help! i appreciate it and will let you all know how it goes!:woot:

Rick Adams
12-19-2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks guys that is actually alot of help! i appreciate it and will let you all know how it goes!:woot:

When you get the nuts off be careful removing the sensor! It's plastic and can break apart; you don't want te be removing the rear cover to retrieve the broken pieces!

BluRT00
12-19-2008, 01:52 PM
one bolt with two nuts on it. PITA as its not very ergonomic to work in that area.

I didn't have any issues on the swap, guess I was blessed. :jester:

PeterO
02-22-2009, 10:54 PM
I have a '93 V6 5 spd with rear ABS. I just changed the speed sensor to fix ABS and brake light on the dash. My speedometer was working fine. As I have almost never done any work on vehicles I found it a very easy (15 minute) job after researching on the net. The sensor is slightly towards the front of the rear differential. Contrary to many posts I found, I had only 1 bolt and no nuts to remove as shown in the diagram below. Here are the steps I found most useful slightly modified for my experience:
1. Disconnect negative battery terminal
2. Remove 1/2" bolt top using deep box wrench. Remove the cable bracket attached at this point and move out of the way slightly.
3. Press connector with thumb and pull connector off sensor (2 clips on the side)
4. Wiggle sensor out of hole in top of differential.
5. Dip finger in hole and put differential oil on O ring on new sensor
6. Push new sensor into place and bolt in.
7. Put ignition key in and turn to on position for 30 seconds. Step on the brake pedal at this point to put a current drain on the computer system (assures a reset condition)
8. Reconnect negative post of car battery
9. Start truck to test.

Here is a diagram I found on the net showing where the sensor is:

http://arrc.epnet.com/autoapp/8847/8847R09_RWAL_Speed_Sensor.htm

I bought the part at NAPA for $32cdn + tax. Dealer price was $117. OEM part #4485161. Napa part #530000 available in Canada and U.S. I also found the part available on EBay and many online parts stores. Search on the OEM part #.

Hope this helps someone!

r/t_Rash
04-06-2009, 05:08 PM
my ABS/BRAKE lghts act up too. they only come on when the weather is warm and go off when its cold. i've changed the rear sensor my speedometer is fine. Can anyone help with this problem?