PDA

View Full Version : Hellcat Dakota

Wiggsy72
01-29-2018, 02:55 AM
Not sure if Greg Snider is a member on here or not but I know his name has popped up here from time to time. I have him on Instagram where he has already done a successful 392 Hemi swap and is currently installing the Hellcat power plant in his Dakota. So far it looks awesome and I can hardly wait to see the finished project.

This link may or may not work https://instagram.com/p/Begb8ZahsJ4/

GoFastGray
01-29-2018, 05:10 AM
Yea, this will be a wicked truck. Who's buying his older hemi?

Wiggsy72
01-29-2018, 05:52 AM
He mentioned he already sold it and its gone.

Adobedude
01-29-2018, 01:50 PM
I think Rob Rohe bought it.

slammedR/T
01-29-2018, 07:46 PM
Greg is a member here, he just doesn't visit much.

BIGROB
01-30-2018, 02:15 AM
Holy smokes. That's awesome. I hoped someone would shoehorn a Hellcat into one of these bricks.

Wiggsy72
01-30-2018, 07:52 AM
I’ll nudge him and see if he’ll chime in here about his latest project.

BlakDak71
01-30-2018, 10:44 AM
ayyyyy that's me

Wiggsy72
01-30-2018, 07:21 PM
ayyyyy that's me

Hi Greg,

So tell us what your up to these days. How’s that new project of yours coming along?

Wiggsy72
01-31-2018, 01:33 AM
Announced by Official Mopar today that you can purchase the Hellcat crate engine.

BlakDak71
01-31-2018, 01:12 PM
The Hellcrates were announced back at Sema 2017. I ran my 392 all last year and loved it, got impulsive last week and bought a low mileage take out. Waiting on the oil pan to show up and I hope to have the motor dropped in this weekend, maybe running by the end of February. It really just depends on how the plumbing for the blower is. Everything should be relatively close to what the 392 was - I'll have to upgrade my fuel system and clutch pretty substantially though lol.

99dart
01-31-2018, 05:42 PM
The Hellcrates were announced back at Sema 2017. I ran my 392 all last year and loved it, got impulsive last week and bought a low mileage take out. Waiting on the oil pan to show up and I hope to have the motor dropped in this weekend, maybe running by the end of February. It really just depends on how the plumbing for the blower is. Everything should be relatively close to what the 392 was - I'll have to upgrade my fuel system and clutch pretty substantially though lol.

Nice! Awesome build!! Make sure you share your experience to help boost readership here. I miss coming here for the good tech info. It seems we are all pitted against each other. :(

TurboJoe62
02-01-2018, 12:08 PM

Great to see someone take on such a cool project! Look forward to the progress and results.

BlakDak71
02-01-2018, 12:09 PM
Trying to figure out where I'm going to mount the oil cooler and auxiliary low temp radiator for the blower. I'll still have to fit the main low temp radiator as well, which will be about the size of an a/c condenser. Along with this, I've got to figure out where to mount the low temp radiator pump to circulate the coolant. Definitely going to be more issues with this than there was with the 392. I wanted to use the air ducts from the donor car, but with the core support there's simply no way to use them. The coolers are a little bigger than I thought, but I think mounting them up front like this will be fine for what I do. Michigan summers? This will be fine...climbing up Davis Dam in July...not so much. And no, the zip ties aren't permanent lol.

I'll try to remember to update this thread regularly to help increase site traffic, but like most I've basically migrated to Facebook. For regular updates, follow "The Hellcat Dakota" page.

Osee
02-01-2018, 04:12 PM
Maybe just mount the coolers so de by side centered in the lower bumper, it'll probably look better, and it won't effect cooling much, they're not right against the rad

9t9-5.2
02-01-2018, 09:31 PM
You could do similar to this, behind the fog light/bumper, or under the truck.

1FstHemi
02-02-2018, 03:51 PM

What oil pan are you using im dropping a 5.7 into my dakota, just wondering if there is something diffrent out there besides the mildon

BlakDak71
02-02-2018, 04:47 PM
What oil pan are you using im dropping a 5.7 into my dakota, just wondering if there is something diffrent out there besides the mildon

I used the Milodon on my 392 and I'm going to use the same pan on the Hellcat. Waiting on the pickup tube currently. I've been told that there are two bolt holes that are located in a slightly different location though so I'll have to drill and fill them.

1FstHemi
02-02-2018, 04:53 PM
I used the Milodon on my 392 and I'm going to use the same pan on the Hellcat. Waiting on the pickup tube currently. I've been told that there are two bolt holes that are located in a slightly different location though so I'll have to drill and fill them.

The pick up tube is what has me confused rite now, I have a pre vvt 5.7 I dont know if these have the issues with the pick up tube not aligning also thanks for the reply.

BlakDak71
02-02-2018, 05:07 PM
The Milodon tube works fine for Pre-VVT Hemis. To use it on 09-up model motors you have to cut the flange off and reclock it about 25° and reweld it.

1FstHemi
02-02-2018, 06:13 PM
Ok thaks can wait to see yours run:biggthumpup:

Adobedude
02-03-2018, 01:00 AM
Damn....I have a problem hooking 500 RWHP. :idunno:

Wiggsy72
02-03-2018, 06:06 AM
Trying to figure out where I'm going to mount the oil cooler and auxiliary low temp radiator for the blower. I'll still have to fit the main low temp radiator as well, which will be about the size of an a/c condenser. Along with this, I've got to figure out where to mount the low temp radiator pump to circulate the coolant. Definitely going to be more issues with this than there was with the 392. I wanted to use the air ducts from the donor car, but with the core support there's simply no way to use them. The coolers are a little bigger than I thought, but I think mounting them up front like this will be fine for what I do. Michigan summers? This will be fine...climbing up Davis Dam in July...not so much. And no, the zip ties aren't permanent lol.

I'll try to remember to update this thread regularly to help increase site traffic, but like most I've basically migrated to Facebook. For regular updates, follow "The Hellcat Dakota" page.

Thanks for sharing with us here on the Club site:biggthumpup:

Osee
02-04-2018, 01:50 AM
Damn....I have a problem hooking 500 RWHP. :idunno:

Maybe some of us like doing burnouts at 60 mph :biggthumpup:

BlakDak71
02-05-2018, 10:37 AM
Burnout machines are more fun anyway. I go to the track once or twice a year.

slammedR/T
02-05-2018, 08:44 PM
Running trucks are more fun no matter what they have for a power plant or transmission.....

1LoudRT
02-07-2018, 05:22 PM
Running trucks are more fun no matter what they have for a power plant or transmission.....

True story, mine has been sitting for so long it's beginning to look more like a park monument than a project

BlakDak71
02-08-2018, 05:16 PM
Why did the weather here have to get so cold? The day I picked up the motor a few weeks ago, I worked in the garage all weekend with the door open. Since then it hasn't crested 20 degrees and they're calling for 5-9" of snow tonight. :dumbass234:

98Dak408
02-08-2018, 05:28 PM
Why did the weather here have to get so cold? The day I picked up the motor a few weeks ago, I worked in the garage all weekend with the door open. Since then it hasn't crested 20 degrees and they're calling for 5-9" of snow tonight. :dumbass234:So much for global warming. :idunno:

Osee
02-08-2018, 08:33 PM
Why did the weather here have to get so cold? The day I picked up the motor a few weeks ago, I worked in the garage all weekend with the door open. Since then it hasn't crested 20 degrees and they're calling for 5-9" of snow tonight. :dumbass234:

Try living in Canada dude... :jester:

98Dak408
02-08-2018, 08:37 PM
Try living in Canada dude...:jester:
My father and his second wife were both from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada. They said it was colder there temperature wise than Michigan but Michigan feels colder from the amount of humidity being surrounded by the great lakes. :drums1:

Osee
02-08-2018, 08:43 PM
My father and his second wife were both from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada. They said it was colder there temperature wise than Michigan but Michigan feels colder from the amount of humidity being surrounded by the great lakes. :drums1:

yeppers!

Kingst3r
02-11-2018, 06:36 PM
Thats gonna be badass Greg. Are you going to be able to keep the feature where it uses the air conditioner to cool down the intake air for the SC?

blackknight
02-14-2018, 02:44 AM
I have an issue keeping mine running ! :hail:

BlakDak71
02-14-2018, 11:15 AM
Thats gonna be badass Greg. Are you going to be able to keep the feature where it uses the air conditioner to cool down the intake air for the SC?

Thought I replied to this the other day - that feature is only on the blower on the Demon. I don't have A/C on the truck and I'm not even sure I could rig up a controller for that to work right at this point. I don't see them coming out with a Mopar Demon kit any time soon though.

Kingst3r
02-16-2018, 06:46 PM
Thought I replied to this the other day - that feature is only on the blower on the Demon. I don't have A/C on the truck and I'm not even sure I could rig up a controller for that to work right at this point. I don't see them coming out with a Mopar Demon kit any time soon though.

Ahh thats right.

BlakDak71
02-22-2018, 10:51 AM
Fun fact, the Milodon swap oil pan will not fit a Hellcat without modification. The front timing cover is different due to the blower drive, so you've got to cut the pan and move the front pan rail back about 1/2" in order to clear said blower drive.

BlakDak71
04-12-2018, 12:37 PM
Slow going lately.

Cowl had to be trimmed to clear the supercharger just a bit. Had to use some plumbing to angle the blower coolant temp sensor a bit differently so it would clear the firewall. Body harness is run, just needs to be spliced into the factory ignition switch. Started running the main harness last night, couldn't fit it between the blower and firewall so I had to pull the blower and see what I was doing. Hoping to have the wiring done this weekend, and then it'll just be plumbing fuel, coolant, and oil lines. One good weekend of work and it could be driving I believe.

The hard part is getting that one good weekend of work lol.

Wiggsy72
04-12-2018, 01:45 PM
It’s a snug fit for sure. I can only imagine that will be even more tight with all the finishing components. Nice project and kudos to you for such an undertaking :hail:

BlakDak71
05-15-2018, 01:02 PM
It runs.:finger:

https://youtu.be/QTFGUEbZO2k

Wiggsy72
05-15-2018, 03:51 PM
Yeah man! :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::hail:

krs1r/t
05-15-2018, 11:31 PM
That is awesome
My shop owner just bought a track/hawk. It is a wild ride. Your dakota is gonna be awesome

niebs
05-16-2018, 01:13 AM
Hell yeah. :rockwoot:

98Dak408
05-16-2018, 01:16 AM
Very cool! :biggthumpup:

y2krtaf
05-16-2018, 01:26 AM
Love it!!!

BIGROB
05-16-2018, 10:24 AM
Awesome:rockwoot:

blackknight
05-16-2018, 08:12 PM
Wow! Sickkkk! :rockwoot::hail:

Doc
05-17-2018, 07:26 AM
bada$$...well done sir :notworthy:

Wiggsy72
06-23-2018, 02:51 AM
He’s got a sweet little video clip on Instagram ripping down the street with the hood off. You can hear that supercharger whine as he bangs through the gears in about 4 seconds, so rad :rockwoot:

grdeclipse
01-03-2019, 04:21 AM
This thing is bad ass. Any new updates? I've been watching the YouTube vids for motivation even though I haven't found the right truck yet lol. It would have been a awesome build thread on here.

DakRT360
01-04-2019, 06:44 AM
this is insane! congrats! what transmission setups are you guys going with in these high HP builds?

Facesturbo
10-04-2019, 01:04 PM
Not sure if Greg Snider is a member on here or not but I know his name has popped up here from time to time. I have him on Instagram where he has already done a successful 392 Hemi swap and is currently installing the Hellcat power plant in his Dakota. So far it looks awesome and I can hardly wait to see the finished project.

This link may or may not work https://instagram.com/p/Begb8ZahsJ4/

My R/t is the 03. Last year for the 5.9. But she’s got 153.900 on her and sat for a long time before I found her. I had no clue that you could get a Dakota with a V-8. Naturally, because of the miles I’m looking at what comes next. This engine is past it prime as is. This one will have to be pulled and rebuilt or a 392 installed. I’m near Lakeland Florida and hardly know anyone. And I definitely don’t know any real muscle car guys. If anyone can point me in a direction I sure would appreciate it.

Wiggsy72
10-04-2019, 04:12 PM
My R/t is the 03. Last year for the 5.9. But she’s got 153.900 on her and sat for a long time before I found her. I had no clue that you could get a Dakota with a V-8. Naturally, because of the miles I’m looking at what comes next. This engine is past it prime as is. This one will have to be pulled and rebuilt or a 392 installed. I’m near Lakeland Florida and hardly know anyone. And I definitely don’t know any real muscle car guys. If anyone can point me in a direction I sure would appreciate it.

How much do you want to spend? There’s going to be more to it than just rebuilding the stock 5.9 if it’s been sitting for a long time. HEMI swap will be a lot more involved. Will you be doing the hands on work or are you gonna farm it out?

https://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsYear/9704Dak.html#head6

99dart
10-04-2019, 07:47 PM
The 5.2/5.9 motors can go a long way on the bottom end if taken care of. The heads can have issues with cracks between the valves. That said, If she runs pretty good and you want to drive it... go for it. If you want to follow the K.I.S.S. moto snag a another used 5.9 and start the rebuild process on it. It can take months to collect the parts you want and get the block/crank thru a machine shop.Buy some EQ heads and have them setup fresh to compliment the cam you go with. Welcome to the forum! :r/t smile:

Wideopen
10-06-2019, 04:55 AM
Check out the FTI performance trans it's a 2 speed but can be made for any HP and comes with Chrysler bell housing, I'm switching soon as my TCI 727 explodes Because really if you can afford 2000 HP a 6000.$ trans is nothing.