PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Vent Filter

98Dak408
09-20-2016, 05:56 PM
For those of you that have removed your charcoal canister that the fuel tank vents to, what type of filter are you using for the fuel tank vent in place of the canister?

Thanks in advance.

9t9-5.2
09-20-2016, 11:22 PM
I don't use no stinkin filter...

Adobedude
09-20-2016, 11:42 PM
Poor Polar Bears.

Sick 660r
09-20-2016, 11:43 PM
Filter? Ha

slammedR/T
09-20-2016, 11:56 PM
I bought cheap see through filter from the auto parts store that has a hose barb ends on it.

98Dak408
09-21-2016, 12:09 AM
I bought cheap see through filter from the auto parts store that has a hose barb ends on it. That's an idea. I'm just trying to prevent crap from getting in the tank.

slammedR/T
09-21-2016, 12:46 AM
That's an idea. I'm just trying to prevent crap from getting in the tank.

That was why I did it, to keep crap out my fuel tank.

Sick 660r
09-21-2016, 12:48 AM
I don't drive it so that's not an issue

mikset
09-21-2016, 01:08 AM
That's an idea. I'm just trying to prevent crap from getting in the tank.

I've just got mine coiled up on top of the tank, maybe should put a filter on it.

Adobedude
09-21-2016, 01:10 AM
I have a little k&n filter on my fuel cell.

KyleDedrick
09-21-2016, 02:00 AM
I just coiled up the hose away from anything and pointed it down

blackknight
09-21-2016, 02:16 AM
I'm also running a small k&n type breather , I'm thinking from AutoZone

niebs
09-21-2016, 04:43 AM
they do make filters just for that. But any small filter would work.

Kingst3r
09-21-2016, 05:57 PM
I don't drive it so that's not an issue

Haha.

Same here. No filter.

Filthy Filbert
09-23-2016, 04:15 AM
No filter. But I don't go mudding or drive off road, so not too worried about dust or dirt into the tank. I suppose I could be worried about it but cars had simple atmosphere vent for decades with no problem. I'd be more worried about moisture in the air introducing water into the tank than dust, but a filter won't stop that anyway

Corey
09-23-2016, 12:19 PM
Anyone care to share a picture of this? I guess is this needs to breathe in and out.

98Dak408
09-23-2016, 08:01 PM
Anyone care to share a picture of this? I guess is this needs to breathe in and out.

There is a check/rollover valve on top of the fuel tank with a hose going to the evap canister. With the evap canister removed, you have a choice of putting some type of filter at the end of the hose to prevent the possibility of debris getting in or to leave it open.

This is what the Humvee H1 uses. It is along the same lines as what slammed did with his set up. http://www.hummerpartsguy.com/FILTER-FUEL-VENT-MAINAUX_p_314.html

This is also a Hot Rod article in regard to the fuel vent filter:

"Always check and set the fuel pressure at the carburetor, and pay attention to fuel tank venting. For every gallon of fuel pumped out of the fuel tank, a gallon of air is drawn in through the fuel tank’s vent system. Always use some type of filter in the fuel tank vent system in order to avoid dirt and debris coming into the fuel tank. Place the vent inlet in a “clean” and dry area, not in the wheel well where water, rubber, and debris from the tires is always flying around. Often when taking a carburetor apart for a jet change, dirt and rubber are found in the fuel bowl. This debris may have gotten into the fuel system through the fuel tank vent.

A filter in the fuel tank vent system can help prevent a carburetor jet from becoming plugged by this debris, but always keep fuel safety in mind. Use a check valve in the vent line to avoid fuel spillage in the event of an accident. We have also seen many vehicles in which the vented fuel cap does not allow air into the fuel tank as quickly as the fuel is pumped out. Consequently, a vacuum was created in the fuel tank, causing the fuel pump to starve for fuel. The fuel pressure would then drop to less than 2 pounds under sustained high-load driving conditions. The cure for this problem was to add extra fuel tank venting."

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ctrp-0406-fuel-systems/