PDA

View Full Version : Overheating problems

Slowkoda
07-08-2016, 04:30 PM
So my truck has been getting pretty hot lately and im kind of at a loss for why.
Some additional info.....Ive changed the thermostat and upper radiator hose. No visible leak or smell of burning attifreeze. Clutch fan or fan clutch witch ever you call it is kicking on at high temps like usual. Its full of 50/50 and ive tried draining it and running strait water and even 25/75 and water wetter. It only started doing it after i got the truck painted and i have a sneaking suspicion that over spray my be clogging the radiator. Any ideas???:idunno:

whRT03
07-08-2016, 04:36 PM
water pump goes at any time....when was that replaced?

Slowkoda
07-08-2016, 04:58 PM
Also just did that to sorry forgot to list it.:dumbass234:

must396
07-08-2016, 06:08 PM
try flushing out raditor with prestone rad flush,if that doesnt work might need new rad i bought one from auto raditor outlet here in okc.they have a website think it was 150 l5 yr warranty.you shure paint shop didnt cover up rad with paper or plastic to keep off over spray,and forgot to remove it? might also check for blown headgasket before u buy rad.

must396
07-08-2016, 06:08 PM
5 year warranty not 15 dam fingers

Slowkoda
07-08-2016, 06:20 PM
Im not sure they covered it at all. I know there no paper or plastic. Rad has been flushed. Head gaskets are good too. I just think its over spray because it literally started the day after i got it back from the paint shop.

must396
07-08-2016, 06:32 PM
man they would have had to blast it with paint have you tried air or water thru the cooling fins front side to the back see if water or air blows thru? what did they do paint the truck and rad with bedliner spray lol

9t9-5.2
07-11-2016, 12:59 AM
If the fan clutch is good, it should roar for about 30 seconds or so at cold start-up. Give the fan a spin by hand after the truck has been driven, is up to temp (and turned off) to see if it freewheels.

Kingst3r
07-11-2016, 12:29 PM
Overspray isnt clogging the fins in the radiator. I've painted my radiator with regular old black spray paint and it cools just fine. Does it overheat where you are shutting it down or its just running hot?

Filthy Filbert
07-11-2016, 01:01 PM
unless they used your engine fan to suck all the dust out of the shop...they didn't cause this. I also have painted my radiator directly and it's not clogged up or not cooling.

gotta start troubleshooting stuff. Check water flow to ensure pump is working. Check the thermostat to ensure it's not stuck closed (put it in a pot of boiling water to see if it opens) Check the radiator to make sure it's not clogged up. Check the fan to make sure it's pulling adequate air through the radiator. (it should suck a piece of paper up and hold it against the radiator) etc.

RC Kota
07-11-2016, 02:43 PM
is your e fan working? Im running with ONLY the e fan and I know how quick the temps can spike when it doesnt work

Corey
07-12-2016, 12:38 PM
Check to see you don't have coolant in the oil. This was my overheating issue, as I found coolant entering from the timing cover. Pull a valve cover and hope to see black oil, not grey.

Top radiator and bottom radiator hoses feel the same temp? Could be a plugged radiator or stuck closed thermostat.

Remove the cap when cold and look for bubbles, as this could be a head gasket. Is your overflow full?