PDA

View Full Version : Time to bring it back, another resurrection story

Gentleman Jack
04-23-2016, 09:32 PM
I don't know whether I should type out 10 paragraphs of back story, or nothing at all. 20 years This is my 3rd RT. I bought a 99 Black CC brand new as a 23 year old. It was awesome. Dodge bought it back from me. You all know that story. My second RT was a 00 Durango RT that I bought used back in 2006. That thing was flawless. Now I have the truck below. Bought it in 2013 with 125,000-ish miles for short money. The truck was ugly. I needed a medium size truck to renovate my house with. I put this truck through it's paces and it never once let me down. Now it's time to be nice to it.

I'll start simple:

2001 Dakota RT CC Red
Almost all original, second respray

Here is where I'm headed at this point:

1. fix the old tire suspension and bushings I thought there was a complete energy suspension kit that included every bushing, motor mount, body mount etc? but I can't find it anymore. I need to go nose to tail and replace everything. Is it easier to just buy new end links, ball joints, etc up front? What about A arms? I am not looking to make a show truck, but right now it's borderline safe to drive with how worn out the rubbers are.

2. need to replace the ?valve body???? in the tranny? (I think this is a common failure? it sometime hits the rev limiter on the 1-2 shift and won't shift)
I see references to MSaine something or others on here? Is this the consensus best replacement? If there are still new old stock tranny available is that the best option?

3. Rebuild the rear end. I'm pretty sure I've fried the post. Not something I think I want to undertake myself after reading the DIYs. Just not set up for that at the house. (yet)

4.. rebuild the 360. I'd like to get somewhere near 400 hp (350 at the wheels would be plenty for me) - is this achievable on a reliable set up? Any feedback from those that have done this would be great. I realize there are a million ways to get there. I'd like to keep the original motor and just go through it. In the GM world, the crate motors are so cheap that it almost doesn't make sense to rebuild, but the Magnum crate motors appear to be quite a bit more. Unless I'm missing something?

5. find any updated for the interior. Honestly, the interior is in fantastic shape. cloth seats, non power. I have some cheap aftermarket speakers in stock locations, so an audio upgrade may happen, but I want to get the above items first. If there was a nice set of Durango RT seats around, I'd consider those.

I know these questions have all been asked over and over. I have spend a ton of time reading through this and other forums. I'm hoping this build thread will be a safe place for me to ask questions and provide some details to those that have done or might do what I am doing. Sometimes forums can get quite ugly, but this one seems to be pretty even keel. I appreciate that, so THANKS!

Thanks in advance to anyone that can offer advice and assistance.

Gentleman Jack

Corey
04-23-2016, 10:46 PM
You have some good members in your area to assist if you ask, and if they want to help.

With your engine, are you planning on not going 408? I am not either, just 1st or 2nd overbore 360 keeping the modified kegger.