PDA

View Full Version : Single stage paint jobs

ZenDak
10-12-2015, 02:38 PM
Just looking for direction. My truck's paint is gone, and I'm looking to respray the whole thing. Mostly to keep it from progressing to rust.

I found a shop down the street with decent reviews. I went in, and had the manager look it over with me. I was shocked when he told me it would only be $1400 for a single stage urethane job, or $2k for base/clear job (keeping black color). In both cases this includes him doing all the prep work (even though it' s a regular cab, he'll have his work cut out for him).

Should I run away?, is that too cheap? He showed me some of his work (all looked good to me, even the urethane single stage stuff). He even showed me his less than stellar work he did 'super cheap' he said, and showed me the dirt/crap that was left stuck in the paint. Minor, but I could see it all over this 'super cheap' paint job he did on half a car (he also said it wasn't polished yet)... His 'nicer' work looked good to my untrained eye.

I've seen some single stage come out nice with a little polishing (I was told it would take the urethane a month to cure before I could polish which i'm fine with).

Anyone have some 'cheaper' single stage paint jobs they could post pics of? Should I just spring for the $2k, or runoft to another place?

niebs
10-12-2015, 04:22 PM
guess it depends on your end goal for the truck... keep it as a truck and drive it and use it. or go towards more show quality. 2k for paint is dirt cheap. I had 2k in material when i did my older ford. but if you saw his work and it looks good then thats that. Biggest part of paint job is prep. How much prep is he going to do.

ZenDak
10-12-2015, 04:32 PM
He's going to do all of it. I've seen some people say they got their cars back from him in 2-3 days... He said it would be 7 days plus due to all the work he would have to do.
I'm in no rush whatsoever, he could keep it for a month if he wants. He seemed pretty interested in doing it, and making it look right.

I'm not going for show quality right now. I really want to keep the surface rust on the roof from getting worse, and really just have it as 'respectable'. I'm thinking of 'cheaping out' and going with his $1400 single stage (saving up for a house next year). I've been reading a bit more, and seems you can get a nice shine once it's polished.

rt dak
10-12-2015, 04:40 PM
Sounds too cheap to me. I would expect around $5k for that job. I don't know what paint system he is using but you can clear coat over single stage for better UV protection.

9t9-5.2
10-12-2015, 05:24 PM
I agree it is too cheap. materials alone can be several hundred $$, prepping the old paint, priming, masking, shooting, and detailing is time consuming and more $$.

If your expectations aren't high, and are willing to accept "you get what you pay for" it may be a cost effective way to make the truck look better than it does.

Mark
10-12-2015, 06:44 PM
single stage paint jobs can look real nice, the truck in my avatar is single stage enamel but it was a race car and was not subjected to the weather. When I can afford to paint mine it's going to be delivered to the body shop completely stripped including glass and motor/trans so I can have the underside of the hood and engine bay done. You have to understand all he's going to do is mask everything and do some da work and shoot it.
As said it depends on what is going to make you happy.