PDA

View Full Version : Ad banners

PeteRT
09-08-2015, 09:25 AM
When I log in here, I used to feel like I was visiting the F&B homepage. Now it's Flyin Ryan. What's the reason we give them so much ad space on the main page? The ads are literally 5 times the size of our club seal and are confusing. Why are the ads so big? so people see them? I'd rather see the forums, that's why we all come here.

krs1r/t
09-08-2015, 11:11 AM
Agree

Filthy Filbert
09-08-2015, 12:49 PM
I suppose we could just stop offering "supported vendor" status to anyone, and stop asking people to donate to our meet, and stop giving away prizes to our members???

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showthread.php?25163-Attention-Vendors!

krs1r/t
09-08-2015, 01:13 PM
Really dude?
All people are saying is it is a bit obnoxious.
You shouldn't respond to the body here like you are speaking g to your kids.

Broo42
09-08-2015, 01:35 PM
Why was there no issue when the F&B banner was there? Or did I miss it? :idunno:

madboy
09-08-2015, 02:03 PM
Really dude?

As an exec you could certainly offer a little more then "agree". Like maybe - I'll bring this to be board and we will work on it.

WhiteRT
09-08-2015, 02:16 PM
It was fine when the previous execs set it up but I am sure glad to see there has been what appear to be multiple issues with things they did over the last few months and also people who "agree" with that sentiment. You guys are correct imo. I brought up the f&b thing when I first got on board and was told they donated heavily to that meet and the banner will stay big, not open for discussion. Stay classy! I will just ask how big would everyone like it, I will open it for discussion.

Filthy Filbert
09-08-2015, 02:25 PM
Really dude?

Yea, really. The question was 'why is that big ad banner there'. The answer is because that particular business is who donated the most to the meet giveaways. The incentive to being the biggest donor is that your business is advertised at the top of the forum.

That was the agreement that this club made with all donating vendors. It would be a breech of contract if we changed it now. If the members don't want to see a banner at the top of the page then we need to make that change to next years agreement with donating vendors.

KTK00R/T
09-08-2015, 03:05 PM
Biggest supporting donation = big ass banner... worth it imo.. Heck, one of the only vendors still doing things for this club/truck/etc. imo.

PeteRT
09-08-2015, 04:37 PM
Glad to see some of you have your heads on straight… I'm a little disappointed by your responses though, Tom. I asked a pretty simple question, and if I'm not the only one asking it, maybe it's time to have an executive (and adult) discussion about it (thanks josh/todd). Instead of, "this is how it is, and that's that."

Perhaps it's time to reevaluate how much space our vendors are given in the future. I don't care how much they donate, or when the size or design was decided: The current space allotment is overboard and the executive board, whatever generation did it, gave away too much and I think we should take some back. Where is this "contract" by the way, and when do its terms expire?

Osee
09-08-2015, 04:58 PM
I don't see it as a huge issue. I think alot of it is that the banner just a big white box with black text, once he has a nice graphic it will be a little more subtle and less in your face.

Filthy Filbert
09-08-2015, 05:09 PM
Glad to see some of you have your heads on straight… I'm a little disappointed by your responses though, Tom. I asked a pretty simple question, and if I'm not the only one asking it, maybe it's time to have an executive (and adult) discussion about it (thanks josh/todd). Instead of, "this is how it is, and that's that."

Perhaps it's time to reevaluate how much space our vendors are given in the future. I don't care how much they donate, or when the size or design was decided: The current space allotment is overboard and the executive board, whatever generation did it, gave away too much and I think we should take some back. Where is this "contract" by the way, and when do its terms expire?

Shoot me a pm or a text when you have a minute. I think you mis-understood my tone. Your opening post was 'why is it there'. I answered it at face value-albeit a little tongue in cheek. This post has a LOT more to it, and I'm all for discussions on how to go into the future.

If you've lost my number: 937 594 3784

PeteRT
09-08-2015, 06:18 PM
I'm not butt-hurt if you're not. I don't do phones, but I'll send you a PM about a couple things later on. Thanks.

FlyinRyan
09-08-2015, 06:28 PM
The banner itself blows. Totally agree.
I will get with the execs asap about changing it.
As for the size, I trust the judgment of the execs to do whatever is best for the website :idunno:

I am open to whatever change(s) that are wanted/needed.

OldKota
09-08-2015, 09:19 PM
just trying to lighten things up.... I don't really care about the size or think its excessive, maybe a little bland but w/e

anyway heres my story...

my wife did an update to our notebook window microsft 11 or something dumb and ever since I constantly zoom in on pages when trying to
scroll, that was about the time this thread got started... the first time I saw it, it was so big it was going way off the page... i almost responded to this thread until i realized that i was just a dumbass....I just laughed and thought to myself mr flyinryan must have must have paid double for advertisement this month.... also i hate my computer now, the down button somehow fell off (wtf right??) and i cant move the mouse without zooming in and out ten times first....

that's all i got, carry on now :jester::jester:

hskr
09-08-2015, 09:30 PM
I already posted about this. I think the biggest difference between current and F&B is the colors used. Nobody really noticed it as much with the F&B banner because the colors worked with the background better and weren't just plane jane white background with black text. First time I logged on after the switch it was just a huge in your face banner than distracted from the rest of the forum. I don't think the size is as much of an issue as maybe the colors.

krs1r/t
09-08-2015, 09:53 PM
I just didn't like the....well we can get rid of supporting vendors all together answer. I took it as being rude to a long time member.

Dave3240
09-08-2015, 11:13 PM

spawn_x
09-09-2015, 12:02 AM
I prefer the big banner vs google adwords and shit. I am nobody but just a voice, but I am OK with banners from our personal vendors. :biggthumpup::biggthumpup:

ScojoDak
09-09-2015, 12:05 AM
May I suggest a random banner ad after a log on, or scrolling banners after the page loads.

Filthy Filbert
09-09-2015, 02:07 AM
I just didn't like the....well we can get rid of supporting vendors all together answer. I took it as being rude to a long time member.

you took it wrong then. but Like Pete said, "i'm not butt hurt if you're not" there was never any butthurt in this thread other than what you perceived as butthurt.:nana::finger:

MikeTR
09-09-2015, 12:09 PM
I already posted about this. I think the biggest difference between current and F&B is the colors used. Nobody really noticed it as much with the F&B banner because the colors worked with the background better and weren't just plane jane white background with black text. First time I logged on after the switch it was just a huge in your face banner than distracted from the rest of the forum. I don't think the size is as much of an issue as maybe the colors.

^^THIS^^

The size seems HUGE because of the colors. I bet just a color change would make all the difference.

Good ones!

Dave3240
09-09-2015, 09:00 PM

hskr
09-09-2015, 10:05 PM
There's just something about that symbol for the N that just doesn't look good, or professional.

Hugh Jassole
09-09-2015, 10:19 PM

I kind of thought that too, nothing against Ryan

PeteRT
09-10-2015, 12:23 AM
It goes without saying, this isn't about a particular vendor, it's about the space allotment. And it's still too big after the redesign imo, but looks better than it did.

FlyinRyan
09-10-2015, 12:26 AM
There's just something about that symbol for the N that just doesn't look good, or professional.

The banner dates back to when I used to do mostly porting- before I got into EFI tuning.
It is obviously dated now, but, it was what I had handy when Todd and co. requested a banner.

Lonesoldier79
09-10-2015, 12:31 AM
The banner dates back to when I used to do mostly porting- before I got into EFI tuning.
It is obviously dated now, but, it was what I had handy when Todd and co. requested a banner.

The new banner looks good and the hoopla should be over and done with. Back to business as usual :burnout:

98Dak408
09-10-2015, 12:25 PM
When I log in here, I used to feel like I was visiting the F&B homepage. Now it's Flyin Ryan. What's the reason we give them so much ad space on the main page? The ads are literally 5 times the size of our club seal and are confusing. Why are the ads so big? so people see them? I'd rather see the forums, that's why we all come here.

May I suggest a random banner ad after a log on, or scrolling banners after the page loads.

It goes without saying, this isn't about a particular vendor, it's about the space allotment.
I usually try to stay away from politics but this has crossed my mind more than once. Nothing against the top donating vendor, but I also felt I was logging in to the vendor’s website. I agree with ScojoDak: “May I suggest a random banner ad after a log on, or scrolling banners after the page loads.” Doing so allows the guest or member to see a variety of vendors…and it doesn’t seem so static. The various vendors also get some ad recognition which people might like to see. Maybe the top donating vendor gets additional recognition by the size of their banner, and the words: “Top Donating Vendor”, while the other vendors that couldn’t afford the top advertisement have a smaller banner, in such a random…or scrolling banner system. :idunno:

I suppose we could just stop offering "supported vendor" status to anyone, and stop asking people to donate to our meet, and stop giving away prizes to our members???

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...ention-Vendors!
That tiered vendor system/status seemed to fall apart when the website was updated some time ago. While it was in existence, it provided some incentive for the vendor to donate more if they could afford it. Now, there is only ad space for the top donating vendor. For example, with the status of a silver vendor, there was a space on the forum home page that showcased their banners. However, you had to search for it and it could be totally missed if the guest or member just logged into the main part of the forum as I came to do, thereby alleviating the extra step of going to the home page first. Regardless, this doesn’t exist anymore even though the tiered vendor explanation still exists. I may be somewhat biased being a vendor, but I think ScojoDak has a great idea.

PeteRT
09-10-2015, 02:17 PM
Excellent perspective and well said, Richard.

FlyinRyan
09-11-2015, 02:58 PM
I find it interesting that this is all coming out now. Honestly if I knew there was going to be this much bullshit over a banner, I probably would have never submitted one in the first place. :dumbass234:

I will see what the execs wish to do about it.

hskr
09-12-2015, 05:29 AM
I don't mind the current banner you have. Looks a lot better on my phone. Had it beeen used from the start, there probably wouldn't have been anything said.

KyleDedrick
09-12-2015, 07:03 AM
You guys are a bunch of fuckin pussies! Haha grab some sand paper, an wipe of your sloppy freshly raped vaginas and move the fuck along haha

It's a fuckin banner. A vendors banner.. That donated money! Fuuuuck off haha

ScojoDak
09-12-2015, 07:01 PM
You guys are a bunch of fuckin pussies! Haha grab some sand paper, an wipe of your sloppy freshly raped vaginas and move the fuck along haha It's a fuckin banner. A vendors banner.. That donated money! Fuuuuck off haha

I'm with you. Not so intense, but share your view.

Cheezie
09-12-2015, 09:53 PM
You guys are a bunch of fuckin pussies! Haha grab some sand paper, an wipe of your sloppy freshly raped vaginas and move the fuck along haha

It's a fuckin banner. A vendors banner.. That donated money! Fuuuuck off haha

Not the wording I would have chosen. But the point remains the same.

This is not some random google popup..... this is OUR CLUBS BIGGEST SUPPORTER!!!
Why in the fuck would we not want to show them the support they deserve! It's not even necessarily for you. It's for people who search "Dakota R/T" and click on our site.... not knowing anything about us, but they see Ryans banner, and get taken to Nicks site. Its a good setup!

Incentive like that advertisement space is what keeps the few hardworking, caring, supporting vendors (like Richard and Ryan) around and contributing.

The more money they make, the more cool stuff they can, and will do for us.

This is the reason that when someone asks for parts, I tell them to go to Hi-potek.com and not any of the other sites that sell similar parts, even some at lower prices.
It's worth it to me to spend 5 bucks more to support someone like Richard, or Ryan, who do so much to support us.
I can't fathom how you guys don't feel the same....

hskr
09-13-2015, 02:28 AM
And yet people talk down F&B all the time. Probably the biggest supporter of all time for the drtc.

PeteRT
09-13-2015, 03:26 AM
I don't disagree with any of you. Supporters should get their ad space, absolutely 100%… However, the amount allotted is obscene, when compared to the club banner. This isn't about trashing a vendor or saying any is better than another. I'm simply saying what I already said, that the scaling is bad. It looks funny and out of place. It looked funny when F&B had the space too. Why now? Why not?