PDA

View Full Version : Surface rust, and general paint cost questions

ZenDak
05-18-2015, 05:06 PM
Hey hey... so my '00 has horrible paint. The worst on any vehicle I've ever owned, but it's a project truck, and I like to think of it as 'patina'.
It's a black rc truck (sorry I have no pics right now) - no dents on the body, everything is intact. I'm looking to sell one of my other cars to fund the painting of the RT.

The clear is totally gone - everywhere. No rust on the roof, but it's a gray color now.

Hood = has lots of surface rust, and very rough texture. I'm assuming this isn't worth fixing? Again, sorry for no pics at the moment, but while it's very light surface rust, it's everywhere. I can get a new black primered hood shipped to my door for $116 (sans the emblem). I'm assuming the amount of prep work for the original hood, would make getting a new one the most economical choice?

With horrible horrible paint - no bare metal showing, or rust anywhere else, but it's super 'textured' you might say in some areas - what kind of ball park price can expect from a body/paint shop to spray it back to factory black?

I know I can spend as much as I want,,, but lets say the truck was just a little faded, most of the clear was there and a shop quotes it at $2500 (just to give a number). If the paint is in horrible condition, how much more would be expecting the bill to be? $3500'ish - an extra grand or two possibly? (I know nothing about painting).

Thanks

stevenz1inoc
05-18-2015, 07:18 PM
I'm not a painter but I have the same issues as you, clear gone but my basecoat is checked now too. I think once the clear is gone it needs to all be sanded off and the paint under it scuffed and color re-shot. I think you're looking at a complete paint job no matter how faded once the clear is gone because the damage is done to the color under it now too. That's what I was told by a couple different paint shops here.