PDA

View Full Version : Sputtered and dies driving down highway...

Intense RT
10-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Any ideas? Acting like when my fuel sync was off last Feb. I was driving down the highway about 65 and sputtered every time I tried to give it gas and so I let the truck coast to the side of the road. No problems whatsoever since I had the fuel sync set to +1 last Feb. This is my daily driver and need to get this running. Oh, no cels either. Used my Lm-2 and it showed no DTC just to double check. thanks for any help.

Nolan
10-07-2008, 05:57 AM
Ignition coil or battery? Do you have fuel pressure?

Nolan

Intense RT
10-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Ignition coil or battery? Do you have fuel pressure?

NolanDidn't check that yet. I was going to check for spark today. If I pull the plugs and they are wet with fuel I should be ok on fuel is what I'm thinking, for now. I shoulda checked for spark yesterday but replaced cps for gp as some peoples symptoms seem to have pointed to that in some forums. Thanks for the help.:biggthumpup:

Addicted2Blue00
10-08-2008, 07:47 AM
turn the key over to the dash lights come on and hook up an ohm meter to the igniton coil to check voltage to spark, to check the fuel hit the purge valve on the fuel rail when the key is off and once drained turn the key over just like the spark check and cut back off and purge the valve again, if gas doesnt come out the 2nd time then its the fuel pump or close to it.

Shrek
10-08-2008, 12:44 PM
I had the same problem with mine a few years back. after a few hours of diag. it turned out to be the coil. Now is the time to upgrade to a MSD coil

Intense RT
10-09-2008, 02:43 AM
Well, Checked for spark last night and it turns out the bwd coil I got from O'Reilly's last Dec had to be warrantied. Put the new coil on and it fired right up!:biggthumpup:

I hope it was just ONE bad coil. Wouldn't want to have to carry a spare with me all the time.

Nolan
10-09-2008, 07:35 AM
I would stick with the OEM coil. The MSD and ACCEL coils seem to fail frequently and several people have posted here and on other Dakota forums about them killing their PCM.

Nolan

Intense RT
10-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Yeah, I had an Accel on it and it only lasted a year, so I went back to a stock coil. It's a BWD and I liked that it has a brass terminal.