PDA

View Full Version : P 0174

Fltlander
10-04-2008, 07:47 PM
This is the code that just popped up on me today.
"P0174 (M) 2/1 Fuel System Lean A lean air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally rich correction factor."
Pulled up to a stop and the truck went sluggish and could smell the raw fuel then the code popped up.The only thing that has changed since I got back from Mich is that last weekend I had my downpipes redone and an x-pipe added.I have a 2001 R/T and have the first 2 02 sensors in the pipes but the last 2 strapped to the frame. Could this be causing my code.I have no 02 codes and no cats.Any ideas would help.

weaponx
11-19-2008, 05:10 PM
I would say that the 2 Downstream o2 sensors you have strapped to the frame would most likely be your problem. Even if you don't have any cats they should still be in the pipe. Whats happening is that the front o2 sensors are seeing a good mix, but the two downstream are seeing way to much O2 (oxygen) the the computer thinks its running lean and adds more fuel to compensate for the lean mix after the cat. hope this helps. you might try welding some bungs to your pipe and putting the o2 sensors back in.

Hugh Jassole
11-19-2008, 05:22 PM
This is the code that just popped up on me today.
"P0174 (M) 2/1 Fuel System Lean A lean air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally rich correction factor."
Pulled up to a stop and the truck went sluggish and could smell the raw fuel then the code popped up.The only thing that has changed since I got back from Mich is that last weekend I had my downpipes redone and an x-pipe added.I have a 2001 R/T and have the first 2 02 sensors in the pipes but the last 2 strapped to the frame. Could this be causing my code.I have no 02 codes and no cats.Any ideas would help.

you're good with the rear 2 sensors, they don't matter when it comes to a/f. that code is for upstreams, which do make the a/f adjustments. I believe that 2/1 means the upstream on the passender side. Bank 2, sensor 1.

Hugh Jassole
11-19-2008, 05:24 PM
I would say that the 2 Downstream o2 sensors you have strapped to the frame would most likely be your problem. Even if you don't have any cats they should still be in the pipe. Whats happening is that the front o2 sensors are seeing a good mix, but the two downstream are seeing way to much O2 (oxygen) the the computer thinks its running lean and adds more fuel to compensate for the lean mix after the cat. hope this helps. you might try welding some bungs to your pipe and putting the o2 sensors back in.

that's wrong. the rear sensors should only be in the pipe if there are functional cats ahead of them. If he puts those back in the pipe, he'll start getting 1/2 & 2/2 codes.

emwhiteR/T
11-19-2008, 08:05 PM
I got that the same code because my front O2 was dangling in the wind until I could get enough wire pulled out of the loom to attach it to my exhaust. The rear O2's on my truck are zip tied to the frame and no codes since I fixed the front one.

I am guessing you may need a new sensor?