PDA

View Full Version : Need Help (Starter Solenoid bad?)

SleepeR/T
09-17-2008, 11:54 PM
I bought my truck last April with roughly 82k on it. It now has a little over 85k miles and has developed a starter problem.

When the truck is cold it usually starts just fine. Once it is warm and turned off it has problems when I go to restart it. It sounds like the solenoid is clicking and then the starter will turn and start the truck. If I run the truck for about a half an hour down the highway, pull off and try to start it, it won't do anything like the battery is dead.

I pulled the starter, and autozone tested it good. The guy working there said he couldn't diagnose if the solenoid was good or bad.

Has anyone run into this before? Is it worth spending $130 bucks on a starter to find out it was something else? Does anyone know if it could be a ground somewhere? Do these trucks have a coil pack or something similar that could be going bad?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

perfinj
09-18-2008, 02:42 AM
I would say it is most likely a starter. It souds like a bad bushing in the starter. It gets heat soaked after a while. I would check the grounds first but I would lean toward the starter.

uwntsumrtII
09-18-2008, 03:02 AM
also check the connections on the short wire that goes from the selenoid to the starter. may have some corrosion on it.

Nolan
09-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Have you tested the battery? If you are sure the battery is good, check the battery terminals and cables.

Nolan

SleepeR/T
09-18-2008, 11:44 PM
Hey thanks for the suggestions. I cleanned up all of the terminals on the starter, the wire coming from the battery and that seems to have fixed the issue. At least for now.