PDA

View Full Version : Pies reply to 1st customer issue- Mark

perfinj
02-26-2014, 06:20 PM
First off I want to explain the time line of these events so it is known that they did not just happen back to back. The cam was just brought up and the head issue goes back to the early summer. I am going to speak on the camshaft issue with Axiom (Mark Kmapcik). Mark purchased the cam from me about two years ago. He claims that I okayed the use of a set of 1.7 ratio rockers. I don’t use 1.7 rockers much except on a few stock engines and if I remember the customers supplied these. I have found that the pushrod clearance becomes a problem and it makes no sense to me when you are running a cam that has lobe lift. I have always just ground the lift I wanted and done away with the pushrod issue. Not all 1.7 rockers are the same. The ones I have used have been Harland Sharps bolt downs and I never had a pushrod clearance issue with them. Not all rockers are the same some have a little different geometry, some use Ford rocker, some use Chevy rocker, and some actually use Mopar rocker. The point I am making is that there are many different types and brands so it hard to say what issue might pop up. This is why pushrod to tunnel clearance and piston to valve is important. I always run 1.6 rockers and don’t recommend the use of 1.7 ratio rockers with my cams. It has been said that I am at fault in this instance since I was trusted to provide the correct parts. In this case I sold a cam, Intake, and SCT. The customer provided the rockers and took all of this to a professional shop to have the parts installed. The cam card has been posted and the card has the max lift at .530" not .565". The cam company sometimes will list the card with 1.5 ratio which is stock LA style rockers. The cam is .565" with 1.6. However you would have to know to multiply the lobe lift by the rocker ratio to see it is .565".

My argument is that if the installer checked the piston to valve clearance he would have seen it was to tight and the rockers substituted with 1.6 ratio. All of this would have been avoided. I feel the installer is the one that is at fault. I spoke with the customer on this matter and he claims I said it was ok to run the 1.7 rockers. I know this to not be true. However I still offered to give him a cam at cost to try and help. He said "I don’t want your parts" then I said "well you have to purchase a new cam so how about I will give you $150.00 dollars toward a new cam. He was ok with this and the conversation was over.

Then I went onto the Racemagnum forum and saw that I was being mocked so at that point I contacted the customer via email and also left a message under his thread in my vendor spot. Some have said that the cam card is incorrect and that is why this happened. However we are not checking the cam card we are checking the engine. The card is a reference. I have received cards before that were not 100% accurate from all different cam grinders. I always verify the cam in the engine. I have also heard that piston to valve does not need to be checked if the lift is under a certain number. That is a stupid statement and that is how stuff goes wrong just like in this case. Just to recap this section If a professional shop installing these parts should have checked this clearance there would never have been a problem. I find it hard to believe I am responsible for this.