PDA

View Full Version : Tuning in Oklahoma

smax
02-26-2014, 01:39 PM
Is there anyone in Oklahoma that can tune these trucks?

DakotaNdaytona
02-26-2014, 02:07 PM
Is there anyone in Oklahoma that can tune these trucks?

FlyinRyan on this forum tuned my truck and many others I highly recommend him.

smax
02-26-2014, 02:16 PM
I am sure he is good, but if I can I would like to avoid mail order tunes.

dakrt23
02-26-2014, 04:54 PM
I am sure he is good, but if I can I would like to avoid mail order tunes.

This is 2014, there is no real advantage to in-person tuning versus email tuning unless its some monster crazy build then maybe. Whether the tuner has a laptop plugged into the truck reading parameters or plugged into his computer reading email files, he is going to read the same numbers.

Welcome to the future.

smax
02-26-2014, 05:46 PM
I am not planning to do anything major with the engine other than bolt ons, but I do want to swap a 5 speed into my truck. The thing I don't like about these mail order tunes is that you have to buy a $300-$400 SCT tuner and then spend that much more to actually get a damn tune. Maybe it is just the fact that I mostly mess with GM stuff and getting a tune for any of that can be had for a lot less, and you don't have to buy a dumb ass tuner that you will never use again(or be obsoleted before you need it again). It just seems rediculous.

I am sure the guys that do the mail order tunes do a great job. I would rather use someone close by if possible to avoid having to buy equipment I don't want and play the back and forth email game if things aren't right the first time. With tuning efi cars/trucks the tune is rarely 100% the first time and so there is the advantage of having someone tune it live. You see the problems and fix them then, not multiple email tries later.

Broo42
02-26-2014, 09:45 PM
Nobody in the OKC area has the licensing for the software. But they are willing to buy it. The only thing you have to consider is that these things are pretty finicky. And NOBODY around has any experience with them. I've talked to a few reputable tuners around here and they want at least $450(not including license cost). I had decided that Ryan was the way to go. You pay one price for unlimited changes(unless you go boost).

FlyinRyan
02-27-2014, 06:06 PM
These guys don't mess around, if there was someone closer/better, they would be using them as opposed to seeking me out. Just my .02

Broo42
02-27-2014, 06:56 PM
These guys don't mess around, if there was someone closer/better, they would be using them as opposed to seeking me out. Just my .02

All of this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I wish you could've heard the phone conversations I had with these local guys. I got a lot of "Uhhhhh ummmmmm wellll....." I've been extremely pleased with Ryan. More power AND better mileage. :biggthumpup:

smax
02-27-2014, 07:12 PM
Sounds like that's the route I will be going.

moparkidsrt4
02-28-2014, 12:20 AM
I have Ryan also tuning my truck if u need to borrow lm2 to data log we can work something out if your in okc Ardmore area

hskr
02-28-2014, 12:28 AM
Also, even with the local guys you will have to buy your own handheld and then pay them for the tuning time on top of it. If you need to get the tune tweaked later on, you will be paying them again to re-tune it.