PDA

View Full Version : Seeking engine build advice

Stroker408
01-01-2014, 11:26 PM
So, I recently picked up a complete/running 5.9 for cheap that I am going to be using for my 408 build. I have decided on the Scat kit 1-98111BI

Scat#942-1-98111BI
Chrysler 360 Series 9000 Cast Street/Strip Rotating Assembly
408ci
4.030'' Bore
Hypereutectic Dish Piston
9.9:1 w/62cc; 9.4:1 w/68cc; 9.0:1 w/70cc
4.000'' Crank Stroke
6.123'' Rod Length
Internal Balanced Assembly

There is a shop here in Spokane where I can have it hot tanked, magnafluxed, sonic tested, bored, mains honed, cylinders plate honed and surface decked for $345. They will only do machine work though, no assembly.

I'm pretty confident mechanically, but I've never assembled an engine and don't have the right tools. Does anyone have any advice or maybe know of a better shop on the west-side that could tackle this work without breaking the bank?

My second question...I've been kicking around some ideas for the top end but would like to hear suggestions on cam, heads, intake, etc. I'm keeping the fuel injection so running a carb is out. I would love to end up with something I can still drive around town but take to the strip and play on occasion.

I'm sure in the near future I'll be looking into beefing up the transmission as well...

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Cheezie
01-01-2014, 11:29 PM
Danno. Lol

Filthy Filbert
01-01-2014, 11:42 PM
If all the machine work is done, all you need to assemble an engine is a torque wrench and an engine stand.

Maybe a file for file fit rings and a ring compressor, but that's all fairly cheap stuff after you get a descent torque wrench.

blackknight
01-02-2014, 12:00 AM
Danno, or contact mikeset, i cant remember who built his

Edit: or pat-99dart

Danno
01-02-2014, 12:08 AM
I can certainly help you with it. I have a good machine shop here locally, and I would be more than willing to help you with the combo and specs for your setup.

I actually will be Driving to Montana on the weekend of the 18th to pick up a block for a 408 I am doing for a gentleman in Canada, and could easily stop by Spokane ( since I will be driving through it.. lol )

PM me if you would like to discuss it further. Dialing in your exact needs is one thing I am pretty good at ;)

Danno

Danno
01-02-2014, 12:08 AM
Danno, or contact mikeset, i cant remember who built his

Edit: or pat-99dart

Ernie,

I did Pats motor... lol

blackknight
01-02-2014, 12:13 AM
There you go danno, maybe i need to start planning a 408 build also!

Cheezie
01-02-2014, 12:15 AM
I can certainly help you with it. I have a good machine shop here locally, and I would be more than willing to help you with the combo and specs for your setup.

I actually will be Driving to Montana on the weekend of the 18th to pick up a block for a 408 I am doing for a gentleman in Canada, and could easily stop by Spokane ( since I will be driving through it.. lol )

PM me if you would like to discuss it further. Dialing in your exact needs is one thing I am pretty good at ;)

Danno

Stop on in to South GA and grab my block while your at it. :biggthumpup:

Danno
01-02-2014, 12:16 AM
There you go danno, maybe i need to start planning a 408 build also!

Only if you really need a 408 do I recommend it. 360's can EASILY put these trucks into the mid - low 12's NA. It all depends on your goals really. Pats lil 360 makes enough torque that he boils the drag radials in 1st and half way through 2nd gear.. lol. how much torque do you really need? :idunno:

But if you want to do a 408, it can be done :biggthumpup:

Danno
01-02-2014, 12:17 AM
Stop on in to South GA and grab my block while your at it. :biggthumpup:

Might be something happening next year that would work for you.... someone else down in your neck of the woods considering sending up a motor ;)

Cheezie
01-02-2014, 12:19 AM
Might be something happening next year that would work for you.... someone else down in your neck of the woods considering sending up a motor ;)

I think I could 2 guess that one and get it right. Lol.
Hopefully by then mine will already have a few slips on the board!

Danno
01-02-2014, 12:21 AM
I think I could 2 guess that one and get it right. Lol.
Hopefully by then mine will already have a few slips on the board!

;)

:biggthumpup:

Stroker408
01-02-2014, 12:28 AM

Danno

Wow, ask and you shall receive! I'll send you a pm.

blackknight
01-02-2014, 12:53 AM
Only if you really need a 408 do I recommend it. 360's can EASILY put these trucks into the mid - low 12's NA. It all depends on your goals really. Pats lil 360 makes enough torque that he boils the drag radials in 1st and half way through 2nd gear.. lol. how much torque do you really need? :idunno:

But if you want to do a 408, it can be done :biggthumpup:

Maybe you need to show me some tricks im in the mid 12s with nitrous! I think i should be lower but what do i know

Danno
01-02-2014, 12:59 AM
Maybe you need to show me some tricks im in the mid 12s with nitrous! I think i showed be lower but what do i know

One of the reasons I want to have your truck in hand. I want to give it a once over and see if I can find anything obvious. Or un-obvious... lol

blackknight
01-02-2014, 01:44 AM
Thanks i appreciate your help!