PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous= overheating

slvr03dakrt
08-29-2008, 05:01 AM
Ok guys I went to the track again and got one nitrous run and low and behold I had colant overflowing out of the overflow res. this only happens when I spray what is causing this. I filled it back up with water and it ran fine with no problems. I made a couple more passes n/a and overflowing coolant. Can the waterpump not hadle the quick acceleration of the motor when its on nitrous or what? I have to get this figured out asap b/c I still have to test and tune for the armdrop live event.

mtlcafan79
08-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Is it actually overheating on the gauge, or is it jus frothing the overflow?

White Turbo
08-29-2008, 11:47 AM
It could be that you are lifting the heads when spraying.

Hugh Jassole
08-29-2008, 01:13 PM
It could be that you are lifting the heads when spraying.

that would be my guess too.

mtlcafan79
08-29-2008, 02:00 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/martin76/PICT4102.jpg

slvr03dakrt
08-30-2008, 01:43 AM
Its frothing the overflow and then its overheating b/c it blew the coolant out.

Addicted2Blue00
08-30-2008, 05:50 AM
that would be my guess too.
same here

TurboBlew
08-30-2008, 06:38 AM
Its frothing the overflow and then its overheating b/c it blew the coolant out.

That means gas is getting into the coolant. Circulation will evacuate the air eventually.
Looks like its time to spray some hylomar and retorque the heads.(assuming you have studs)

Sick 660r
08-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Looks like its time to spray some hylomar

whats hylomar?

slvr03dakrt
08-30-2008, 05:14 PM
I just don't think that its lifting the heads with only a 100 shot. I'm guessing I'm getting belt slip on the water pump b/c I'm running a short belt and I still have a mechanical fan. With the shortbelt I'm not getting much belt wrap on the pump. Or the water pump is cavitating on the fast rpm launches. I want to believe its not the head gaskets if it is I'm going to shit a brick and get some cometics and head studs right now I am running arp head bolts.

TurboBlew
08-30-2008, 05:15 PM
whats hylomar?

Its an adhesive that you can use to seal the headgaskets.
You actually cant spray it but there is copper coat spray thats used on diesel engines that aids in sealing as well.
Useed it quite often on my turbo motorcycles since I had problems keeping the engine sealed with 24lbs+ of boost!

slvr03dakrt
09-01-2008, 07:55 PM
crap I tried to rule out a few things first before I dug deep into the motor. I changed the radiator cap to make sure the pressure spring hasn't gotten weak. Then I ran a full belt to make sure I got plently of wrap around the water pump pulley (I usually run a short belt at the track. Being that the truck never overheats when crusing around or idleing the water pump is good. Looks like I'm screwed it may be the heads lifting when I'm spraying but there is no evidence of a blown head gasket which is good so I can gather up what I need before I tear into the motor. I'm thinking cometics and arp head studs instead of the bolts on there now.

White Turbo
09-02-2008, 02:48 AM
crap I tried to rule out a few things first before I dug deep into the motor. I changed the radiator cap to make sure the pressure spring hasn't gotten weak. Then I ran a full belt to make sure I got plently of wrap around the water pump pulley (I usually run a short belt at the track. Being that the truck never overheats when crusing around or idleing the water pump is good. Looks like I'm screwed it may be the heads lifting when I'm spraying but there is no evidence of a blown head gasket which is good so I can gather up what I need before I tear into the motor. I'm thinking cometics and arp head studs instead of the bolts on there now.

You might have caught it before the gasket blew out.
Have you checked the torque on the head bolts lately? You might try that first if your head gasket is still ok. It may be that the ARP bolts just stretched a little.
I've had good luck with the Cometics and ARP studs, but there are a few precautions you might want to take if you go this route.
1. Go with the 12 pt. nuts along with the studs.
2. Spray in between the steel layers of the Cometics, as well as the top and bottom with Mopar gasket spray #04318035.
3. TQ to 105 ft/lbs. in 3 steps. Let it set overnight and check again.
4. After you have sprayed once or twice, go back and check the TQ on the head studs again.
I didn't do step 4 before and found a few studs had lost TQ.

slvr03dakrt
09-02-2008, 03:08 AM
Thanks ed thats the kind of info I was looking for. Why would you use the 12pt. nuts instead of the hex 6point style.

White Turbo
09-02-2008, 03:16 AM
Thanks ed thats the kind of info I was looking for. Why would you use the 12pt. nuts instead of the hex 6point style.

IIRC... There was a clearance issue with one of the nuts being too close to a valve spring. I couldn't get socket over the 6 pt. nut..

But then again,, I use a larger diameter spring than stock, so you may be ok.

BryanRT360
09-02-2008, 08:08 PM
unrelated but didnt you bump up you compression? didnt you do a zero quench or somethimg like that? did you ever see what kind psi. you were making?

slvr03dakrt
09-04-2008, 02:09 AM
IIRC... There was a clearance issue with one of the nuts being too close to a valve spring. I couldn't get socket over the 6 pt. nut..

But then again,, I use a larger diameter spring than stock, so you may be ok.

I'm running larger dia. springs also so thanks for the tip.

slvr03dakrt
09-04-2008, 02:10 AM
unrelated but didnt you bump up you compression? didnt you do a zero quench or somethimg like that? did you ever see what kind psi. you were making?

I'm running a zero deck motor compression is right around 10.5to1 and cranking psi with the rather large cam is around 160psi.

perfinj
09-05-2008, 01:54 AM
If you pull the heads you will most likely see a broken fire ring or close to a broken fire ring on the head gasket. You may not be lifting the head but the increase in cylinder pressure when you shot nitrous might be pushing out of the cylinder. Do a leak on the cylinders. Or yank the heads. Do youself a favor get head studs and cometics. Look at it this way the factory has gone to using multi layer steel headgaskets for about ten years now. You almost never here of a blown head gasket.

slvr03dakrt
09-05-2008, 02:44 AM
If you pull the heads you will most likely see a broken fire ring or close to a broken fire ring on the head gasket. You may not be lifting the head but the increase in cylinder pressure when you shot nitrous might be pushing out of the cylinder. Do a leak on the cylinders. Or yank the heads. Do youself a favor get head studs and cometics. Look at it this way the factory has gone to using multi layer steel headgaskets for about ten years now. You almost never here of a blown head gasket.

yep I'm gathering parts right now for the big upgrade. I have a 4bbl m1 on the way. A set of danno lifters, and will order head studs and new head gaskets. I'm still undecided on the head gaskets I need to call cometic and a couple of other companies and see what they recommend b/c the block is not coming out of the truck again to get resurfaced. I may just go with the copper ones.