PDA

View Full Version : Can't tell if this fender flare matches

Steve '02CC
05-02-2013, 05:05 PM
For the life of me I can't tell if this fender flare is an actual different color from my fender, faded different over time, or simply looks different due to it being at a different angle to the light source (you can see what I'm talking about in the trucks of the DakotaRT.com banner):

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd209/Scuba_Steve1974/My%20Dakota%20Pics/IMG_2213_zps56c95414.jpg (http://s220.photobucket.com/user/Scuba_Steve1974/media/My%20Dakota%20Pics/IMG_2213_zps56c95414.jpg.html)

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd209/Scuba_Steve1974/My%20Dakota%20Pics/IMG_2214_zpsfec2b9c6.jpg (http://s220.photobucket.com/user/Scuba_Steve1974/media/My%20Dakota%20Pics/IMG_2214_zpsfec2b9c6.jpg.html)

Mine is a single-color '02 Dakota, and this flare came from a two-tone '00 Durango. My paint color codes are PSB for PRIMARY PAINT and a QSB for SECONDARY PAINTand the codes from the Durango were PX8 for PRIMARY PAINT and QX8 for the SECONDARY PAINT (But maybe the '8' was really was a 'B') Obviously the codes are different, but the color code clearly means more than just the color since I have two distinct color codes on mine yet the paint is a single-tone. For all I know, the difference in the code could be nothing more than to signify the model vehicle.

It wouldn't totally surprise me but it would surprise me a little that Dodge would have two nearly identical colors like this.

User
05-02-2013, 05:32 PM
looks fine to me... silver metallic is weird in the light.

wyotech_cuda440
05-02-2013, 07:14 PM
I see a little difference.

It's possible the durango could have been wrecked and re-sprayed before.

Although, it's more likely they were slightly different from the factory- 2 years on an assembly line is a long time to have the exact same paint supplier sending the exact same blend of pigments being sprayed with the exact same equipment to produce the exact same finish..... Basically saying that if a 2000 paintjob matched a 2002 paintjob exactly, I would be amazed. Look through a PPG mix catalog, and you'll normally see 3 or 4 formula variations of the same paint code for a single model year.

Just have it painted to match when you get your door painted ;)

Steve '02CC
05-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Just have it painted to match when you get your door painted ;)

Funny you say that because I just got back from dropping off my new bumper to be repainted and I'm dropping off the entire truck tomorrow to get that door repainted. I can't get the fender flares done because I only have only found 1 out of the 4 needed. Hopefully I will gather them all by Nats.

Filthy Filbert
05-03-2013, 12:41 AM
Stop worrying about it. looks fine to me. it's just the lighting and angles.

for what it's worth...things like fender flares, body color grilles, body color bumpers, were all painted separate from the body, and then assembled on the line as the trucks rolled down the track. it's possible to have a truck leave the plant with paint from different batches, and be ever so slightly off in color.

even if you re-painted it now, it could still be a hair off in color, which is why body shops will blend in a paint touch up job.

I say forget about it. wait till the fall...if you still think the color is different, then have the flare and fender painted, then blend the new paint into the door and hood so it appears to match.

ironsport1000
05-03-2013, 01:16 AM
What do you need?:jester:

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj550/ironsport1000/fender%20flares/0501131838_zpse9dc0a1a.jpg

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj550/ironsport1000/fender%20flares/0501131837_zpsc017d182.jpg

nevr2fast01
05-03-2013, 03:01 AM
Ok heres the deal, when a vehicle gets wrecked and it goes to the body shop they look up the factory color and then from there they have up to 10 different types of paints to match,sun faded or a different base coat

Steve '02CC
05-03-2013, 06:04 AM
What do you need?:jester:

That's it! Fuck this "is this shade of silver the same shade as that shade of silver" shit! I'm going yellow on my flares!

Steve '02CC
05-03-2013, 06:08 AM
I say forget about it. wait till the fall...if you still think the color is different, then have the flare and fender painted, then blend the new paint into the door and hood so it appears to match.

I'm not going to worry about it. I'd like to have a complete set by Nats, but it's not a mandantory time-to-spaz-out issue like getting a proper front bumper. I'm almost hoping I don't find the flares because it's getting to the point that there's little left for me to get out of a junk yard and it will be a little sad when I run out of fun things to find there.

And anyway, all I really need is a passenger side rear fender and then I can have flares on one side and none on the other. It's not like anyone ever sees all 4 wheels at one time anyway. :jester:

Steve '02CC
05-03-2013, 06:09 AM
Ok heres the deal, when a vehicle gets wrecked and it goes to the body shop they look up the factory color and then from there they have up to 10 different types of paints to match,sun faded or a different base coat

I always wondered if they had to take years of sun exposure into account in those situations.

GoFastGray
05-03-2013, 06:17 AM
Shouldn't the flare have the same gap between the fender to bumper??

Steve '02CC
05-03-2013, 06:50 AM
Shouldn't the flare have the same gap between the fender to bumper??

I just stuck it on with some tape so I could take the photo. I'm not mounting it for real because I have only found one out of the 4 flares.

99FlameRedR/T
05-24-2013, 06:57 PM
I do paint prep at a body shop for a living, and just so u know metal and plastic will not match no matter what u do, u can get it close but not exact so don't worry about UT too much

vaughn
06-15-2013, 09:05 PM
The P Or the Q has nothing to do with change in color. It only tells you if its the body color (P), or the two town or accent color (Q). Your flare has a darker flop than your truck. When you look at your flare your not looking at the face. Your looking at the angle in which it is sitting. Some silvers have a darker flop, or lighter flop, bluer etc. I dont think anyone will notice it. Also I hope your getting that fender blended if your getting that door repainted.

sunike32
06-15-2013, 11:08 PM
Looks like its about an inch longer on the front. I don't recall seeing anyone's flare extend past the fender into the gap between the fender and bumper. Interesting

Steve '02CC
06-16-2013, 01:53 AM
Looks like its about an inch longer on the front. I don't recall seeing anyone's flare extend past the fender into the gap between the fender and bumper. Interesting

It fits. It just wasn't mounted in this photo because I had it taped up for the sake of seeing what it would look like.

But since you brought it up, through the course of gathering my fender flares I discovered that Quad Cabs have different rear flares than found on RCs & CCs. I think RCs and CCs have the same style though.

Steve '02CC
06-16-2013, 01:59 AM
The P Or the Q has nothing to do with change in color. It only tells you if its the body color (P), or the two town or accent color (Q). Your flare has a darker flop than your truck. When you look at your flare your not looking at the face. Your looking at the angle in which it is sitting. Some silvers have a darker flop, or lighter flop, bluer etc. I dont think anyone will notice it. Also I hope your getting that fender blended if your getting that door repainted.

When I laid it out against another silver flare it still had a different look to it, and I was going to use it, but when I got my freshly painted bumper back and saw how perfect and shiny it was there was no way I was going to put 4 old dinged up and scratchy flares onto my truck. I ended up getting all 4 repainted and they look great: I still need to get some photos put up.

JOEKOTA R/T
06-16-2013, 02:00 AM
Yeah looks good brother, no worries there. Unless you are seeing something we don't see in the pics

Steve '02CC
06-17-2013, 02:53 PM
All of them were repainted and installed. They seem to match well:

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd209/Scuba_Steve1974/My%20Dakota%20Pics/IMG_2508_zpsd97ede10.jpg (http://s220.photobucket.com/user/Scuba_Steve1974/media/My%20Dakota%20Pics/IMG_2508_zpsd97ede10.jpg.html)