PDA

View Full Version : Pinging from tune... How much is too much?

jweltch
03-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Just put the 91 octane tune on the Durango with my SCT yesterday after running out the 87 and filling up with 91. It runs pretty good except for some pinging at moderate to heavy throttle. I noticed my Dakota did the exact same thing when I tried the 91 tune on it awhile back. Should I put more miles on it with this tune to let it figure itself out? Only have about 120mi since I programmed it.

Should I be concerned?

Everything is stock on the Durango except for a 180 T-stat and a catback muffler. I'm pretty sure the plenum gasket is ok, it doesn't suck oil into it, nor does it ping or otherwise run crappy with the stock (or 87 octane) tune.

I'm more concerned about when it starts getting hot down here. We don't get any higher than 91 octane at the pump.

Five9Dak
03-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Any audible detonation is already quite severe. I would run more octane or discontinue using the tune.

Broo42
03-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Any audible detonation is already quite severe. I would run more octane or discontinue using the tune.

That^

jjones
03-23-2013, 09:26 PM
What spark plugs are you running?

CNTHOOK
03-23-2013, 09:52 PM
What they said ^^^^^ put some good gas in it

ME111
03-23-2013, 10:19 PM
Gonna make a bold statement on this but I feel I have to.... Ignore the other's input on this thus far.

A tune made for higher octane gas is typically done with more timing added to the tune. How much timing was added for the tune is what should be in question here. AZ heat is most likely not conducive to the timing which I'm sure is the culprit with your tune so either have your tune's timing retarded or step up to an M1 or Hughes intake manifold at the least..anything to get your intake temps lower. If in doubt of this advice....drive the thing on a cold morning even if the coldest point is at 3am and report back.

ironsport1000
03-24-2013, 02:13 AM
I agree with all the above and will add. Are you running a kegger intake? If so have you checked the belly pan gasket for vacuum leaks? what thermostat are you running. Run a 180* stat. JMO hope this helps:idunno:

Ignore! just reread

JDreamR/T
03-27-2013, 05:10 PM
While we're on the subject here, after swapping my manifold to the M1 (my kegger was definitely leaking oil), I still have some intermittent pinging issues even after the fact. If I use a higher grade it helps a lot, but it typically occurs when the truck shifts into higher gear or overdrive (which it loves to do & IMO too soon). I also live in a hilly area so when it shifts into overdrive while climbing a hill it really annoys the heck outta me.
I can only guess that I must have a bit of carbon that's still giving me my problems even though I swapped manifolds.
Also, I have a 180 stat, but otherwise stock I don't have a custom tune or anything like that.
PS - I've also done my typ. tune up stuff, plugs, wires, dist cap/rotor, pcv valve, etc. (all highly recommended)