PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Texans!

Axiom
01-31-2013, 04:37 PM
You're soon to have another member among you!

Just took a consulting position and will be based out of Austin. The girlfriend and I are looking to move down around the 1st week of April. Looking forward to getting the truck out on the 35 and the 360. :r/t smile:

1995dak
01-31-2013, 06:49 PM
Cool man! Cabelas in south austin has a pretty good show every weekend. It will be nice to get another dakota around. Run away from I35 though. lol

Axiom
01-31-2013, 11:44 PM
Cool man! Cabelas in south austin has a pretty good show every weekend. It will be nice to get another dakota around. Run away from I35 though. lol

What's wrong with the 35? Don't say traffic. You haven't seen traffic till you run through Chicago during rush hour.

Turbo r/t
02-01-2013, 02:52 AM
Awesome, you will enjoy the Austin lifestyle. Look foward to meeting you all and giving a city as well as hill country tour!

1995dak
02-01-2013, 01:55 PM
What's wrong with the 35? Don't say traffic. You haven't seen traffic till you run through Chicago during rush hour.

lol. At rush hour it is pretty bad.

1995dak
02-01-2013, 01:58 PM
Awesome, you will enjoy the Austin lifestyle. Look foward to meeting you all and giving a city as well as hill country tour!

This is correct. The best part about living in austin is to get away from it and head west. Really good roads are never far away.

Axiom
02-01-2013, 03:32 PM
lol. At rush hour it is pretty bad.
I've been in rush hour traffic in Austin. That's not traffic.

This is correct. The best part about living in austin is to get away from it and head west. Really good roads are never far away.

That's good to hear. I also hear that they're supposed to be opening up the F1 track in Austin for club use? This true?

bob97sst
02-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Good to hear we will have another Dak R/T in Texas. You planning on going to nationals this year?

Axiom
02-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Good to hear we will have another Dak R/T in Texas. You planning on going to nationals this year?

I believe so. Won't know for sure until we get closer.

SGJardot
02-02-2013, 06:35 PM
Sweet, I'm in Austin welcome..

bob97sst
02-03-2013, 11:49 PM
I believe so. Won't know for sure until we get closer.

I will add you to the list for now, just remember to register before the deadline in May.

For more info on the event click here;

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23351

I have the roll call list here;

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24117

Axiom
02-05-2013, 03:27 PM
I will add you to the list for now, just remember to register before the deadline in May.

For more info on the event click here;

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23351

I have the roll call list here;

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24117

Thanks. Need to get down to Texas first. Then we can start planning what we're going to do.

Treburkulosis
02-06-2013, 08:08 PM
Well I would suggest have lunch, but you aren't here yet. I am going to Austin this weekend :(

Axiom
02-08-2013, 11:19 PM
Well I would suggest have lunch, but you aren't here yet. I am going to Austin this weekend :(

Yeah still about two months away from the move. Amazing how much shit there is to do that you never think about when you're about to move cross country.

dakfink
02-08-2013, 11:56 PM
I-35 in Austin is rediculous. People that aren't local don't realize it's 4-6 lanes and 2 levels, so they freak out tinking they need to get over when they don't if they are passing through. BUT if your getting off in the Down Town area you had better be in the right lane or you'll be on the other side of Austin before you get to turn around.

I've lived in Atlanta, LA, and Wash.DC and Downtown Austin is worse when it gets bad. But around Austin suburbs NOT bad at all.

You can always use the 45 & 180 toll roads to by pass a lot of the BS. Speed limot is 80-MPH the whole way. I get to Cabela's in about 1 hr using the 180. On I-35 it takes me almost 2-hrs. Also you don't stop to pay the tolls. They send them to you in the Mail or with a PrePay account.

Do you know where in Austin your going to be moving??

We currently live in Killeen and are considering moving closer to Austin ourselves.

There is a lot available and a lot to do. BUT you do have to be resourceful to find it.

Advertising isn't high on peoples lists. I finally found a Machine shop in Round Rock to do work for me. Glad I found him.

Welcome to Texas. You will like it here.

1995dak
02-09-2013, 03:28 AM
I would reccomend west austin if you have a choice. Gateway to the hill country and for the most part the traffic is fairly mild.

Axiom
02-09-2013, 05:05 AM
I-35 in Austin is rediculous. People that aren't local don't realize it's 4-6 lanes and 2 levels, so they freak out tinking they need to get over when they don't if they are passing through. BUT if your getting off in the Down Town area you had better be in the right lane or you'll be on the other side of Austin before you get to turn around.

I've lived in Atlanta, LA, and Wash.DC and Downtown Austin is worse when it gets bad. But around Austin suburbs NOT bad at all.

You can always use the 45 & 180 toll roads to by pass a lot of the BS. Speed limot is 80-MPH the whole way. I get to Cabela's in about 1 hr using the 180. On I-35 it takes me almost 2-hrs. Also you don't stop to pay the tolls. They send them to you in the Mail or with a PrePay account.

Do you know where in Austin your going to be moving??

We currently live in Killeen and are considering moving closer to Austin ourselves.

There is a lot available and a lot to do. BUT you do have to be resourceful to find it.

Advertising isn't high on peoples lists. I finally found a Machine shop in Round Rock to do work for me. Glad I found him.

Welcome to Texas. You will like it here.
I've done the drive from Dallas to Austin twice now. Both times in rush hour. I didn't consider any of that traffic. Take 90 out of downtown Chicago at rush hour and you'll know traffic. Sitting still, as in no forward progress for 15 - 30 minutes. Granted I can't say I've spent a considerable amount of time in Austin so time will tell.

Right now we're looking at the North side of Austin. The Cedar Park area. Trying to find a house for rent around $1000 to $1300 a month. Two plus bedrooms. Two car garage for the pony's and a fenced in back yard for the pups.

I would reccomend west austin if you have a choice. Gateway to the hill country and for the most part the traffic is fairly mild.
Haven't checked out the West side much at all. When you say "gateway to the hill country". Would you happen to be implying a lot of fast, twisty roads for the truck and possibly off-roading? I have a Wrangler that will want to stretch it's legs while it's down there. :drive:

1995dak
02-09-2013, 02:38 PM
[QUOTE Haven't checked out the West side much at all. When you say "gateway to the hill country". Would you happen to be implying a lot of fast, twisty roads for the truck and possibly off-roading? I have a Wrangler that will want to stretch it's legs while it's down there. :drive:[/QUOTE]

Oh yes, I have to give it that. Very good driving roads not far away. Smooth, curvy, and great sights. There is an offroad park around marble falls somewhere that is supposed to be great. Never been there but a few of my customers have been there and said great things about it.

Axiom
02-09-2013, 02:50 PM
[QUOTE Haven't checked out the West side much at all. When you say "gateway to the hill country". Would you happen to be implying a lot of fast, twisty roads for the truck and possibly off-roading? I have a Wrangler that will want to stretch it's legs while it's down there. :drive:

Oh yes, I have to give it that. Very good driving roads not far away. Smooth, curvy, and great sights. There is an offroad park around marble falls somewhere that is supposed to be great. Never been there but a few of my customers have been there and said great things about it.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to check out the west side when we're down there. Sounds like a good place.

dakfink
02-10-2013, 12:26 AM
Cedar Park is a good area. Right in the Middle of everything pretty much.

Where will you be working?

West side is nice. BUT it is very country. I like Marble Falls, Liberty Hill, and Burnet. All within 40 miles of Austin. ON the North West side. About 20 miles to Cedar Park.

1995dak
02-10-2013, 02:15 AM
[QUOTEWest side is nice. BUT it is very country.[/QUOTE]

:biggthumpup: Not country enough for me. I am a hick though. :grin: