PDA

View Full Version : "R/T" Rear axle, with or without viper brakes

Filthy Filbert
01-25-2013, 05:39 PM
I bought the 4.56 axle off the truck being parted out in Kentucky. so my stock 3.92 axle can go.

I did a viper brake swap to it, and welded the brackets in place rather than making them bolt on.

If you really wanted to, you could grind the welds off and remove the brackets and put stock drum brakes back on.

I'm offering it up to see if there's any interest. I'd sell it for $300 as-is with the viper brake brackets welded in place, or if you want, I can outfit it with new calipers and rotors, sell it "complete" for $700.

the LSD feels like the clutches are starting to wear out.

brackets will work with stock Gen 2 front calipers and front rotors (4-piston calipers, 13" rotors)
there is no parking brake with this set-up.

Filthy Filbert
01-25-2013, 05:44 PM
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c6/filbert383/Dakota%20RT%20forum/6.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c6/filbert383/Dakota%20RT%20forum/7.jpg

welds aren't pretty because my welder sucks, but they're holding. I went over the welds to build up heat and penetration. Brakes were torture tested and passed, along with about 2500 miles of street use so far.

BillMopar
01-31-2013, 04:45 AM
Bump! That's a good deal for someone looking to do a upgrade from drums, I think those alone are 400ish and there just the cheap floating kind GLWS

Side note: how often do you run across viper calipers cause im thinking about ditching the wilwood kit that I made and doing a viper kit (bigger rotors than have on it now)

Filthy Filbert
01-31-2013, 10:57 AM
You can find them fairly regularly on Ebay and viper forums. I saw a pair of the front 4-piston calipers on the forums the other day, for $200. ($100 ea). They are a lot easier to find because the guys with Gen 2 cars are buying upgrade kits and putting gen 3 brakes on their gen 2 cars.

They're also on Rock Auto for $150-ish each, remanufactured, but no pads

Rotors pop up on ebay now and then for $9 plus shipping:jester: (used) Rock auto has new stock rotors for $50 each plus shipping.

what size rotors do you have now? Gen 2 rotors (what I'm using) are 13" but require the hub up front to be turned down so it fits into the rotor hat. the 13" rotors fit on the rear without any modifications. Gen 3 rotors are 14" and I hear they fit over the stock hubs without having to modify anything.

Filthy Filbert
01-31-2013, 11:14 AM
by the way guys, here's the video from the torture testing. even with 335/35/17 super sticky road race tires, the brackets held perfectly.

rw0O7Hknzhg

BillMopar
02-01-2013, 01:53 AM
You can find them fairly regularly on Ebay and viper forums. I saw a pair of the front 4-piston calipers on the forums the other day, for $200. ($100 ea). They are a lot easier to find because the guys with Gen 2 cars are buying upgrade kits and putting gen 3 brakes on their gen 2 cars.

They're also on Rock Auto for $150-ish each, remanufactured, but no pads

Rotors pop up on ebay now and then for $9 plus shipping:jester: (used) Rock auto has new stock rotors for $50 each plus shipping.

what size rotors do you have now? Gen 2 rotors (what I'm using) are 13" but require the hub up front to be turned down so it fits into the rotor hat. the 13" rotors fit on the rear without any modifications. Gen 3 rotors are 14" and I hear they fit over the stock hubs without having to modify anything.

I have durango rotors right now with the wilwoods. I think im going to go with the 13" rotors cause im going to get ccw's made and im going with a 18x10 front and 18x13 in the rear or bigger if I can and I think 14" rotors would be to much for an 18" wheel but not yet dead set on it, I gotta a lot running thou my head with chassis and motor stuff aswell so just trying to put things together and source stuff since I haven't been able to work on it in over 3 years cause the army witch is coming to an end in the next month so ill be able to work on it again

jmaack727
02-01-2013, 02:32 AM
In should have kept those brackets. F me.

Filthy Filbert
02-01-2013, 01:44 PM
In should have kept those brackets. F me.

For the right price, everything is for sale. I'd sell you my whole front set-up if you wanted them.

jmaack727
02-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Nah. I don't want more parts to just sit.

Filthy Filbert
02-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Nah. I don't want more parts to just sit.

I'm talking about the whole spindle, hub, bracket, caliper, rotor combo. all you gotta do is unbolt your tie rod ends and ball joints, and toss this on:jester:

but...price is equal to what it would cost me to buy new hubs, 14" rotors and gen 3 viper calipers:drive:

Filthy Filbert
02-28-2013, 12:34 AM
Any interest in it as a bone stock, drum brake axle for $250?

clint282cc
02-28-2013, 10:39 PM
how much for just the rear caliepers? 4 piston right?

is that my axle? lol

Filthy Filbert
03-01-2013, 02:07 AM
how much for just the rear caliepers? 4 piston right?

is that my axle? lol

No. after putting in the axle I got off you, I finally decided that the NV3500's 5th gear OD wasn't enough...I was turning 3,000 rpm on the highway. I sold the 4.56 axle and went back to 3.92s.

Which I did Viper brakes to.

But I've got my hands on something with a little more OD, so I'm going back to 4.56 gears...too bad I had already sold that 4.56 axle! :jester:

not looking to sell JUST the calipers. but, for $400, I'd let them go.

they're actually front calipers. I just mounted them on the rear.

Andrewr/t
03-02-2013, 03:17 AM
How much for calipers and rotors? And you make me a bracket for the front spindle? lol

Filthy Filbert
03-02-2013, 04:10 PM
How much for calipers and rotors? And you make me a bracket for the front spindle? lol

not looking to sell them by themselves, because I would just have to turn around and buy 2 more for my 4.56 axle. the plan is basically to swap the brakes over to the new axle, but I'd sell the 3.92 axle with viper brakes as a whole if someone wants it.

I've been toying with the idea of building a set of Gen 3 viper brakes for my front...for the right price, I'd be persuaded to sell you this whole front set-up (gen 2 brakes) --spindles and all. (I'm using the old GSM front brackets, drilled out to accept 7/16 grade 8 hardware)

Heck, I'd even install them for you!

Andrewr/t
03-03-2013, 02:13 AM
Give me a price. I just bought a set of gen2 viper calipers today but they will either go on the front or rear.