PDA

View Full Version : CenTwx- Austin Area- Machine Work!

dakfink
01-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Been looking for some time for shops in the Austin/ CenTex area that do Machine work and know Mopars.

Machine shops are few and far between much less ones that know Mopars.

Recently worked with a guy that grew up in Bell County (Rogers), Cousins with the owners of Little River Academy Drag Strip and he put me on some leads.

Turns out Precision Machine in Waco (between Hewett and Lorena) Knows Mopars. They race Blown Hemis.

Also been looking for someone for Head porting Locally. This has been a challenge.

Closest I have gotten so far is Greg Goode in Houston, he does a lot of Viper heads as well as others.

I have seen Brooks Elliott in Austin is highly recommended BUT don't see or know much about him beyond his Quality Customer Service recommendations.

Anyone from the CenTex area that knows any Machine shops or Porters that know Mopars in Texas please post them up.

I've gotten too much of a bad taste over the years about sending my parts off across country to be worked on by REPUTABLE and QUALITY shops. Seems things go smoother and faster and just as good when you can keep it local.

jjones
01-23-2013, 01:57 PM
If I were to do any major head porting of any kind, Chris @ Classic Jaguar would be the only person I would talk to. http://www.classicjaguar.com/enginedept.html

dakfink
01-23-2013, 03:30 PM
If I were to do any major head porting of any kind, Chris @ Classic Jaguar would be the only person I would talk to. http://www.classicjaguar.com/enginedept.html

Seems they can do anything??

What you know about their prices and Head Porting?

jjones
01-23-2013, 06:20 PM
Seems they can do anything??

What you know about their prices and Head Porting?

I had him flow a set of 1.92 R/T heads i had about a year ago. They can do just about anything. They are quite expensive, around $90 an hour I think, but if you look at those pictures, it might be well worth it for your stuff. Chris seems to know his porting very well. I saw some of his V12 Jaguar head porting work when I was there and was impressed.

dakfink
01-23-2013, 06:34 PM
I had him flow a set of 1.92 R/T heads i had about a year ago. They can do just about anything. They are quite expensive, around $90 an hour I think, but if you look at those pictures, it might be well worth it for your stuff. Chris seems to know his porting very well. I saw some of his V12 Jaguar head porting work when I was there and was impressed.

This isn't for my Yellow Dak. This would be for my other basic stuff.

$90/hr isn't too bad. But I wouldn't pay an hourly rate for Machine work unless it was out of the ordinary stuff like repairs.

They should have set rates for stuff like Boring, Decking, Porting, Valve Jobs, etc.

Goof to know they have a flow bench. I will be checking them out while I am home.

moparracer89
01-23-2013, 11:09 PM
Greg Goode is one of the best head porters in Texas, rivaled only by Reher Morrison. You cant go wrong with his work.

dakfink
01-24-2013, 06:43 AM
Greg Goode is one of the best head porters in Texas, rivaled only by Reher Morrison. You cant go wrong with his work.

That's what I keep hearing. The Viper guys swear by him. I'm going to have to find his location and pay him a visit next time I am in Houston.

Reher-Morrison's rep is actually Darin Morgan. I am not sure he actually works there any more or not. I think he may have opened his own shop in the Dallas area??? I'll have to look at SpeedTalk and see. He used to be on there quite often.

Plus their work is Top Dollar.

When I got my W9RP heads the guy said he knew of only 1 place that could get more out of them than they were already set up for. Rehere Morrison: But it would be $6800 for maybe another 25cfm. Needless to say They are what they are and they won't be going there.

dakfink
01-24-2013, 07:54 AM
Found this guy when looking for Greg Goode's contact info.

http://glennsmachine.com/about.html

Anyone know about him?

He's a lot closer to me than anyone mentioned so far.

dakfink
02-14-2013, 11:26 PM
Found this guy when looking for Greg Goode's contact info.

http://glennsmachine.com/about.html

Anyone know about him?

He's a lot closer to me than anyone mentioned so far.

THIS IS My new Machine Shop.

Guy is very knowledgeable and very easy to work with. He listens to the customer and makes suggestions and recommendations with experience and real world reasons why he would do things different if you ask.

He started his business because he couldn't get Machine work done the way he wanted it done for his race cars.

He's not exactly Cheap and you do have to get in line. (long customer list)

BUT he is a racer and builds for racers NOT by the MFG specs like too many shops do, even when they know it's a Hot Street or Race Motor.

Reason I chose to inquire with him is he builds several racer's motors that I know. 1 being a 588 Hemi Procharger in a Challenger.