PDA

View Full Version : Split mono leaf and Hotchkis

Aves
07-20-2008, 03:04 AM
I am thinking of ordering a set of split monoleafs for the rear of my truck to match the Hotckis front springs I just got. Does anyone know the drop I would need them to put on them to match the fronts with maybe a slight rake? I was thinking 1.5" but would hate to get the back lower:confused:

Troy

grapejuice1998
07-20-2008, 02:07 PM
I am thinking of ordering a set of split monoleafs for the rear of my truck to match the Hotckis front springs I just got. Does anyone know the drop I would need them to put on them to match the fronts with maybe a slight rake? I was thinking 1.5" but would hate to get the back lower:confused:

Troy

Hotchkis is a 3" drop in back, so that's what I asked Calvert to make when I ordered their split mono leafs. One thing you should know though; your truck will not have any kind of cargo hauling capability anymore. Put a sack of groceries back there and it will ride on the bump stops. If i used them again, I'd consider C notching the frame.

PeteRT
07-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Hotchkis is a 3" drop in back, so that's what I asked Calvert to make when I ordered their split mono leafs. One thing you should know though; your truck will not have any kind of cargo hauling capability anymore. Put a sack of groceries back there and it will ride on the bump stops. If i used them again, I'd consider C notching the frame.

im no engineer- but, doesnt that kill dynamic lift?...

grapejuice1998
07-20-2008, 04:48 PM
im no engineer- but, doesnt that kill dynamic lift?...

Under normal circumstances, yes. When combined with CalTracs, no. The mono leaf lets the rear end rotate as much as possible, which transfers leverage through the CalTracs and literally plants the tires to the pavement. That's how Duner is setup now.

I tried the split mono's without the 'Tracs and all I could muster is a 1.77 60', which as you know, isn't anywhere close to what my truck is capable of. That would be the loss of dynamic lift you referred to.

FWIW, my best 60' was on Hotchkis leafs, Bilstein shocks and nothing else. I'm sure I could lower it now with the Hotchkis springs (or perhaps even the mono's), 'Tracs and QA1's, but I can't seem to get my lazy, broke ass to the drag strip anymore.

PeteRT
07-20-2008, 05:12 PM
that makes sense.

btw- i would kill for a 1.7 60'. i should be in the ballpark this year with the new stall in. the best i could do previous was like a 2.2. not because of traction, the truck just didnt have the right combo to launch, even with DR's. after the 60' she'd move like she was supposed to... but before hand, its like im rocking back and forth trying to gain momentum, lol.
pete

Aves
07-20-2008, 06:47 PM

She is about to become a garge/strip queen so as long as it can haul a set of tires and a jack should be good I hope. Was hoping Duner would chime in with what he ordered his at.

Troy

grapejuice1998
07-20-2008, 07:37 PM
She is about to become a garge/strip queen so as long as it can haul a set of tires and a jack should be good I hope. Was hoping Duner would chime in with what he ordered his at.

Troy

His isn't lowered, if I'm remembering right.

grapejuice1998
07-20-2008, 07:40 PM
that makes sense.

btw- i would kill for a 1.7 60'. i should be in the ballpark this year with the new stall in. the best i could do previous was like a 2.2. not because of traction, the truck just didnt have the right combo to launch, even with DR's. after the 60' she'd move like she was supposed to... but before hand, its like im rocking back and forth trying to gain momentum, lol.
pete

I hear ya. Mine was a super pig when I first got it and I remember rocking in the seat wishing it would friggin GO.

Aves
07-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the help Alan.

Troy

PeteRT
07-21-2008, 12:02 AM
I hear ya. Mine was a super pig when I first got it and I remember rocking in the seat wishing it would friggin GO.

lol- it sounds strange but i cant wait to have traction problems. the 3500 viper should give me plenty, lol.
pete

Duner
07-22-2008, 01:18 AM

Troy

Sorry I'm late to the party.

My split monos are for stock height. At least they look like it without anything in the bed. With a set of slicks, toolbag, jack and ice chest in the bed - it rides on the snubbers the whole way to the track. Granted, it's a BIG ice chest that holds 5-20# bags of ice, and it usually sits right against the tailgate. It looks like it's lowered until I get all that stuff out of there.

The monos and Caltracs do work as advertised.
My best 60' matches Alan's. - with a 1.58.

Aves
07-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Sorry I'm late to the party.

My split monos are for stock height. At least they look like it without anything in the bed. With a set of slicks, toolbag, jack and ice chest in the bed - it rides on the snubbers the whole way to the track. Granted, it's a BIG ice chest that holds 5-20# bags of ice, and it usually sits right against the tailgate. It looks like it's lowered until I get all that stuff out of there.

The monos and Caltracs do work as advertised.
My best 60' matches Alan's. - with a 1.58.

Yikes didn't think it would be that bad. With hard tonn on it I wonder how bad it would sag. Maybe I will just go with the Hotchkis rear springs and caltracs then :hail:

Aves
07-28-2008, 07:57 PM
Welp called Hotchkis and they are out of rear leaf springs so I placed the order for bars and springs from Calvert today. Hopefully should all work out I hope :goodluck: