PDA

View Full Version : Best tuning option for street performance

Jemyt3
10-21-2012, 02:45 PM
I just finished rebuilding my motor in my r\t and I'm now facing the problem in making my ECM run this motor correctly. As of now it runs ok but my redline can be more and shift points could be changed also. I have never built a fuel injected motor before so I'm new to all the electronic stuff. I would like to be able to tune it myself since this truck is mainly built for street racing and not straight line drag, but don't know best way?

Zac_F99
10-21-2012, 02:47 PM
it doesn't come with preloaded tunes... these are designed for custom tuning-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCT-9550-XCalibrator-2-Dodge-Chrysler-Programmer-/300787837494?hash=item46085a2a36&item=300787837494&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Jemyt3
10-21-2012, 02:53 PM
The description for the tuner is a little vague does this change redline and shift points, and do u create your program on that handheld or does it plug into ur laptop to show output graphs etc so u have something to go by?

Zac_F99
10-21-2012, 03:01 PM
The description for the tuner is a little vague does this change redline and shift points, and do u create your program on that handheld or does it plug into ur laptop to show output graphs etc so u have something to go by?most of the tuners change RPM and shift points.. as for the laptop thing not sure... probably best send Sean (hemifever) a PM and see what he says

Jemyt3
10-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Do u have this tuner? If u do do u like it?

Nitrohog
10-21-2012, 03:09 PM
I like mine that's tuned by Sean. hemifevertuning.com. Hes a vendor here and IIRC there's a coupon code here somewhere for $15 off a tuner and tuning.

jmaack727
10-21-2012, 04:01 PM
^ I like mine also.

Jemyt3
10-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Any idea on what a sct and tune would cost me from him?

jmaack727
10-21-2012, 04:09 PM
http://www.hemifevertuning.com/jeep_dodge_chrysler_tuners_s/31.htm

G-Man
10-21-2012, 04:35 PM
I just finished rebuilding my motor in my r\t and I'm now facing the problem in making my ECM run this motor correctly. As of now it runs ok but my redline can be more and shift points could be changed also. I have never built a fuel injected motor before so I'm new to all the electronic stuff. I would like to be able to tune it myself since this truck is mainly built for street racing and not straight line drag, but don't know best way?

I think your not getting the whole story, SCT is a great way to tune your PCM, But you need somebody to write the tunes for you, Hemifever does mine. You can tune SCT yourself but you need their PRP (pro racer package) to do it, from what I understand its all writen in code, if you have never used it before your screwed. So call somebody when your ready, tell them your Mods, let them send you a programer with your tune in it. If you don't like something they can make changes for you, HemiFever has an Unlimited changes Package.
G-Man

Zac_F99
10-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Do u have this tuner? If u do do u like it?It is the one I plan on getting... plus a tune from Sean.. when the time comes (waiting to do a bit more to my truck before getting it done to get the most out of it)

But since you're already there with a built up motor I'd pull the trigger on it and email Sean...

Jemyt3
10-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Ok thanks to all you sounds like I need to check out hemi fever and see what it's all about I can write code being an engineer I have to do it some times for various machines, but when it comes to my truck idk if I really wana risk anything.

dakfink
10-21-2012, 04:52 PM
If your new to EFI. You definitely want to let Sean do the tuning.

I've been around and dealt with EFI and tuning of it for a little over 8yrs and still don't have a good grasp on it. Need to look at it daily to get good at it.

It's way more than just Fuel,Spark and shift points. Especially with a Mopar PCM.

G-Man
10-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Ok thanks to all you sounds like I need to check out hemi fever and see what it's all about I can write code being an engineer I have to do it some times for various machines, but when it comes to my truck idk if I really wana risk anything.

I don't think I meant write code. I kinda mean option A does somthing: figure it out. Option B does something else, Figure it out. That kind of thing.
G-Man

Jemyt3
10-21-2012, 04:58 PM
Gotya well I sent him an email on here and il see what he says back any idea on what he charges for a tune not the sct just the tune

JETZcorp
10-22-2012, 12:58 AM
If you already have a tuner, then it's $250 for unlimited stage 1 custom tunes (stage 1 being recommended for N/A builds, stage 2 for forced induction.) $365 gets you the device and the tunes.