PDA

View Full Version : Not making boost

TheOtherDodge
07-12-2008, 08:50 PM
I got a Powerdyne from someone (6lb unit) and installed it but I can't make more than 3 lbs of boost and it pings pretty good. When it gets to the 3 lbs it pings and boost drops (around 3500 rpms when that happens). The truck is bone stock.

Any ideas?

Jontoad
07-12-2008, 09:09 PM
I got a Powerdyne from someone (6lb unit) and installed it but I can't make more than 3 lbs of boost and it pings pretty good. When it gets to the 3 lbs it pings and boost drops (around 3500 rpms when that happens). The truck is bone stock.

Any ideas?

i have no idea why your only getting 3 lbs unless your airhat is not sealed under boost cause you dont have a BOV right? your not using that crapy small filter that comes with the powerdyne are you? maybe belt slip. with the stock pully and a BOV i saw 5.5 psi.

the lack of boost and pinging sound like 2 seperate problems to me.

obviously your fuel system cant keep up. do you have guages on your fuel pressure, air fuel, and boost vaccume? does your fuel pressure rise with boost? or does it fall a psi or two and stay there? check all your components. can you hear your inline pump kick on with the key? cause its loud enough you should be able to.

TheOtherDodge
07-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Yes, the pump kicks on when I turn the key. I actually forced compressed air into the FMU and can hear the pump spike.

I do not have a BOV and I was using a pretty big inlet hose and filter but had to bend it 90 degrees to get it to fit under the hood in a location that would work. I actually took it off and have nothing right now and will test drive it in a bit to see if that was a restriction. I attached a pic of how it was.

I dont belive I have belt slip. I got a gatorback and dont see any indications (black powdery stuff).

Duner
07-12-2008, 11:49 PM
I wrote you a small book at Moparts.:D

TheOtherDodge
07-13-2008, 04:15 AM
Cool, thanks I will check it out! :hail:

grapejuice1998
07-13-2008, 04:05 PM

Any ideas?

Seems like you got lucky that it didn't make more boost. If it pings, it won't be long before you replace the head gaskets (at the very least).

TheOtherDodge
07-14-2008, 02:48 AM
I seem to have made a little progress today...

I didnt change anything, but I let the truck cool and ran it again. I can blaze the tires in first for about 50 feet and when it gets to about 4800 rpms, I get pinging/rattling and the boost falls off and the motor falls flat. That is the best it has felt.

I also may have been getting more than 3 lbs of boost. I had the boost guage taking a reading from the air hat. I read that you should take it from the manifold. I was wondering why I was not getting a vaccum reading when I was at idle... I need to get another one and get a correct reading. The one I had fell off my truck. I had it just laying under the hood and when I was driving I felt something fall out from my truck.

Also, can someone clarify for me if in fact, the motor should idle different if I force air to the FMU to simulate boost? Like I stated above, if I force about 15 lbs to the FMU, nothing different happens...

Rtspeeddemon
07-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Man oh man S T O P !!!!
If you keep driving it with it pinging and making boost your motor is going to explode. Please understand the importance of the tune when adding boost. Seriously you must see where your air/fuel ratio sits before you do anything else.

TheOtherDodge
07-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Ya, I am not driving it hard. I drive it 2 miles to work babying it...

bad360rt
07-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Sounds like you're gonna need to get a BTM on there and pull some timing out.

And yes, if you're blowing compressed air into the FMU, it should spike the pressure. Your FMU could need a rebuild.

TheOtherDodge
07-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Duner suggested looking at the discs in the FMU to make sure of the calibration. Since I bought the entire unit second hand, it may not be calibrated for my stock injectors.

Jontoad
07-15-2008, 02:40 AM
? the fmu doesn't control the injectors at all. it just regulates fuel pressure. i think you should have someone help you...

powerdyne reccomends in the install manual if you have any pinging to switch to 24lb injectors. but i would look at your fmu to make sure its working first.

TheOtherDodge
07-15-2008, 03:22 AM
"the fmu doesn't control the injectors at all"

I know.. What I meant was the calibration of the ratio in the FMU may not be for stock injectors. :burnout:

dakotapimpc
07-15-2008, 04:36 PM
if you are interested i have a fmu plate designed for 24lb injectors i bought for my powerdyne a long time ago... also hell i have a whole gear driven unit for sale also:jester:

TheOtherDodge
07-15-2008, 06:30 PM
I checked the fuel pressure today and it was 45 psi and spiked to 90 under boost.

Are my stock injectors up to task?

mtlcafan79
07-15-2008, 06:54 PM
You probably have enough fuel. You need to pull some timing out.

TheOtherDodge
07-16-2008, 02:51 AM
Ok, I ordered the Vortec BTM with ignition, boost gauge and a bypass valve.

I will work on the MAP sensor mod.

My next thing is to get another air hat and discharge tube.

Geez, what started out as a $900 thing is going to cost 2k!

Rtspeeddemon
07-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Welcome to blown applications the dollars$ never end.

TheOtherDodge
07-16-2008, 12:19 PM
That's not what I wanted to hear! :jester:

But I don't think it is too much diff than nitrous or any high horsepower application. The N/A motor in my Chally is worth more than my truck! :drive:

BluRT00
07-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Ok, I ordered the Vortec BTM with ignition, boost gauge and a bypass valve.

I will work on the MAP sensor mod.

My next thing is to get another air hat and discharge tube.

Geez, what started out as a $900 thing is going to cost 2k!

Ahahaha all blown applications turn out that way. Got my setup for 2 k, and when it was all said and done it will be around 5 grand invested into this venture. I still have yet to get meth injection, or intercooler. Though once done they sure are alot of fun. Dan