PDA

View Full Version : Truck woke up tonight...

KicknAsphlt
07-09-2008, 05:52 AM
...with the new TB on now. HOLY FUCK, is that a Night and Day difference! Felt better down low even, but once it hit 3500-ish....HOLD THE FUCK ON! LOL! BTW....went from an F&B 50mm to an F&B 58mm.....both were on the 4bbl M1 too...

GoFastGray
07-09-2008, 06:16 AM
I'll be right over for a test-ride -lol :woot:

KicknAsphlt
07-09-2008, 06:20 AM
LOL! Rest-Ride...?

mtlcafan79
07-09-2008, 11:53 AM
So does it feel like a mid, or a low 14 sec ride now???

razman131
07-09-2008, 01:42 PM
woot... that mean its no longer gonna be a 15sec truck.////:burnout::nana:

bad360rt
07-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Right on, gotta get that air in. :biggthumpup:

KicknAsphlt
07-09-2008, 03:19 PM
So does it feel like a mid, or a low 14 sec ride now???

Low....HA! :finger::finger::finger:

KicknAsphlt
07-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Right on, gotta get that air in. :biggthumpup:

Yeah...should be a monster when the blower finally goes back on... :drive::rockwoot:

Five9Dak
07-09-2008, 04:10 PM
I have trouble keeping up, whats done to the truck?

58mm TB, 4bbl, stock longblock? headers and exhaust?

How do you think that combo compares to a 2bbl and say 52mm TB for an NA application. I am surprised the stock heads and cam were able to take advantage of flow from that 58mm w/o the blower.

mtlcafan79
07-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Remember, speed is relative to Justin. His truck run's 15's *with* a Paxton. lol...

Rtspeeddemon
07-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Awesome now get er to the track and see how it performs!

KicknAsphlt
07-09-2008, 08:37 PM
I have trouble keeping up, whats done to the truck?

58mm TB, 4bbl, stock longblock? headers and exhaust?

How do you think that combo compares to a 2bbl and say 52mm TB for an NA application. I am surprised the stock heads and cam were able to take advantage of flow from that 58mm w/o the blower.

Spintech Mid-Lengths w/ 2.5" Trual Duals, no cats; Federal Mopar PCM, 4bbl M1 w/ 58mm F&B, Quick-D CAI Tube (for now, 'til the Blower goes back on), 24# FMS Injectors, stock heads, cam, and rockers. Heads have been freshened up with Mopar .600 springs though, and new MP Lifters in the block..Fel-Pro 1008 gaskets for when the blower goes back on.

As for how it compares to the 2bbl -- Well, my comparison might be a bit biased, because I went from the 2bbl w/ Large Turtle (Jeff Arnold) and a 50mm F&B, stock heads with tired old springs and lifters (100+k miles on 'em) to the 4bbl, the 50 (before last night) and the fresh springs and lifters on another set of stock heads...no port work or anything. So, the truck feels stronger down low, but that may be because of the fresh valve springs and lifters, and it pulled harder in mid-range and up top. When I threw the 58 on last night, it felt even stronger all over....it seemed to pick up faster too, RPM-wise. In all honesty, I'm still trying to figure out what these guys have been talking about all these years when they said you'll lose a ton of bottom-end with the 4bbl....maybe over time as the springs and lifters get tired, but with fresh hardware....I swear it's picked up power, not lost it.

Five9Dak
07-09-2008, 08:55 PM
I wish we had more concrete comparisons, still interesting considering the 2bbl flows 230cfm and the stock heads shouldnt be able to touch that, regardless of cam or other mods. Perhaps because testing one port statically doesnt represent the crazy cross flow and turbulance that is a v8 intake manifold on a running engine.

slvr03dakrt
07-09-2008, 09:32 PM
so switching to a 4bbl on my 408 would prob help?

TurboBlew
07-09-2008, 09:35 PM
so switching to a 4bbl on my 408 would prob help?

most definitely.

TurboBlew
07-09-2008, 09:36 PM
...When I threw the 58 on last night, it felt even stronger all over....it seemed to pick up faster too, RPM-wise. In all honesty, I'm still trying to figure out what these guys have been talking about all these years when they said you'll lose a ton of bottom-end with the 4bbl....maybe over time as the springs and lifters get tired, but with fresh hardware....I swear it's picked up power, not lost it.

If you had trap mph to compare youd see what works and what dont.

KicknAsphlt
07-09-2008, 09:41 PM
I wish we had more concrete comparisons, still interesting considering the 2bbl flows 230cfm and the stock heads shouldnt be able to touch that, regardless of cam or other mods. Perhaps because testing one port statically doesnt represent the crazy cross flow and turbulance that is a v8 intake manifold on a running engine.

Yeah, you have to consider -- if the manifold flows 230 (sounds low to me..?), you have 8 ports that that 230 gets divvied up into....you're not going to get that full 230 into each port....so you allow more air in via bigger manifold and/or TB, you increase the volume going to each runner. Plus, you consider turbulence, velocity, etc. like you said.

I still think 230 is low for a manifold, unless that's just one runner....hell, the 50mm F&B flows 760cfm.

KicknAsphlt
07-09-2008, 09:44 PM
If you had trap mph to compare youd see what works and what dont.

If there is an increase in trap speed, (and there would be I'm sure) then it's not from a loss of low-end per se, but more likely from a more dramatic increase in top-end, so it keeps pulling....kind of like a blower truck vs. a juiced truck. Juicer is faster out of the hole, but peters out and levels off at the end of the track, but the blower keeps building, so it reaches a faster speed at the end of the track.

Five9Dak
07-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Yeah, you have to consider -- if the manifold flows 230 (sounds low to me..?), you have 8 ports that that 230 gets divvied up into....you're not going to get that full 230 into each port....so you allow more air in via bigger manifold and/or TB, you increase the volume going to each runner. Plus, you consider turbulence, velocity, etc. like you said.

I still think 230 is low for a manifold, unless that's just one runner....hell, the 50mm F&B flows 760cfm.

230 makes sense to me, the runners closely approximate the ports in the head in size and shape. (It is for one runner.)

slvr03dakrt
07-09-2008, 10:54 PM
most definitely.

Yep prob once I get my headers and exhaust squared away I'm going to step up to a 4bbl m1. I keep hearing of fuel rails not fitting and different water necks whats the low down on these manifolds. I know it has a 4bbl-2bbl adapter plate and an install kit is needed what else will I need.

TurboBlew
07-09-2008, 11:59 PM

Its what Ryan at Shady Dell claims it flows.

TurboBlew
07-10-2008, 12:03 AM
Yep prob once I get my headers and exhaust squared away I'm going to step up to a 4bbl m1. I keep hearing of fuel rails not fitting and different water necks whats the low down on these manifolds. I know it has a 4bbl-2bbl adapter plate and an install kit is needed what else will I need.

If you can find the "new" style manifold, there are no real fitament issues with AC. Even with the old style its not that big of a deal.

The old style has the thermostat housing centered.