PDA

View Full Version : Convertor Lock up switch for 46re

Rtspeeddemon
07-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Is it possible to wire in a manual convertor lock-up switch for the 46re?

If so how's it done?

uwntsumrtII
07-08-2008, 03:29 PM
i don't see why not. you'll need a momentary switch. the connector for it is right up under the the steering collumn. i think i have a pic of it some place.....

uwntsumrtII
07-08-2008, 03:39 PM
the yellow one.

http://i33.tinypic.com/15piao6.jpg

Five9Dak
07-08-2008, 04:14 PM
I am curious why the torque converter lock up solenoid wire would be under the colum. The connector for this solenoid is on the side of the transcase and one would think runs directly to the pcm.

uwntsumrtII
07-08-2008, 04:17 PM
DOH!!!!! i was way off. i was thinkin the O/D switch. :jester:

Rtspeeddemon
07-08-2008, 04:59 PM
The thought behind this is would we gain a little at the track by having the ability to lock the convetor up insuring it is not slipping past a certain point.

John
07-08-2008, 05:26 PM
I know a lot of the diesel guys do it with the 48re's so I see no reason why you couldn't. I dont remember how my friend has his done, or what wire is tapped and Im sure its a different color anyway. But I do remember that he bypasses a relay under the hood in the PDC and its just replaced by a jumper wire, and then he has a switch wired in (one of the foot press switches for highbeam headlights on old cars) and it either sends power or ground to a wire at the trans harness

if no one that has done it replies soon, I will study the wiring diagrams in the service manuals and see what I come up with later tonight

mtlcafan79
07-08-2008, 05:43 PM
I thought drag setups were typically non-lockup???

Five9Dak
07-08-2008, 09:57 PM
I thought drag setups were typically non-lockup???

That's why I'd be more interested in it, when mine locks up its very positive from the built trans, but it noses over, I think it would be a bit faster through the traps if it stayed unlocked.

If you have a turbo or nitrous its a different story, you'd want the load.

blk00rt
07-09-2008, 12:25 AM
The thought behind this is would we gain a little at the track by having the ability to lock the convetor up insuring it is not slipping past a certain point.

been there done that..transmission went right into limp mode when I tried it.
Took it right out.

Rtspeeddemon
07-09-2008, 11:51 AM
been there done that..transmission went right into limp mode when I tried it.
Took it right out.

Interesting Ken.

I'm really thinking I should have gone the A-518 route and dump this 46re and all its f%$king sensors.

Intense RT
07-10-2008, 02:14 AM
Speaking of lockup, why is it with light cruise when I give it a little gas I feel the conv clutch lockup and release when I let off the gas a little?

Adobedude
07-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Interesting Ken.

I'm really thinking I should have gone the A-518 route and dump this 46re and all its f%$king sensors.

mmmmm 727.

Five9Dak
07-22-2008, 03:03 AM
Speaking of lockup, why is it with light cruise when I give it a little gas I feel the conv clutch lockup and release when I let off the gas a little?

Because that's how its intended to work, no problem there.

Clutch locks up for better efficiency in low throttle angle cruise and unlocks to coast better off throttle.

Siciliano15
07-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Is it possible to wire in a manual convertor lock-up switch for the 46re?

If so how's it done?

ive done this before... it does work. u use a regular switch not a momentary one. the only thing is when u replace the relay under the hood with the jumper wire it throws a code. it does work though and the truck behaves like a manual and wont unlock until u turn the switch off so if you leave it on and come to a stop the truck will stall out. give me a day or two i gotta find my wiring diagram because its either the #7 or #8 wire on the transmission valvebody that you attach to the switch which is also attached to ground.

Five9Dak
07-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Definitely post that diagram up. I'd like to make a circuit to retain factory function with the relay and then have a "manual mode" as well.