PDA

View Full Version : Truck rolls in park, wont shift from 1-2 under WOT

99dakRT
07-03-2008, 02:54 AM
My 99 R/T is having some problems shifting under WOT from 1-2, It rolls when placed in PARK (the lever is FUBARED, i have to place the orange line between gears just to select that gear) For example, to put it in neutral, i must get the orange line closer to reverse than neutral itself..

ALSO, from a 30-40 MPH roll it takes like 2-3 seconds to downshift and it feels like its just kinda slipping into gear...

Any suggestions??

Also today I was messing with different SCT tunes and with the stock tune, it will shift into second under WOT but it just kinda free Revs after shifting and doesnt pull... I this is without messing with line pressure or shift points with the tunes that arent stock.. Well one raised the shift point to 5400 but it didnt help

Is all of this related to the problem I have with my lever?? Since my lever is messed up I was thinking maybe I'm getting it into drive but its not fully engaged or something

99dakRT
07-03-2008, 03:06 AM
Could it possibly be in limp mode and its not allowing my converter to lock up???

Rick Adams
07-03-2008, 11:06 AM
My 99 R/T is having some problems shifting under WOT from 1-2, It rolls when placed in PARK (the lever is FUBARED, i have to place the orange line between gears just to select that gear) For example, to put it in neutral, i must get the orange line closer to reverse than neutral itself..

ALSO, from a 30-40 MPH roll it takes like 2-3 seconds to downshift and it feels like its just kinda slipping into gear...

Any suggestions??

Also today I was messing with different SCT tunes and with the stock tune, it will shift into second under WOT but it just kinda free Revs after shifting and doesnt pull... I this is without messing with line pressure or shift points with the tunes that arent stock.. Well one raised the shift point to 5400 but it didnt help

Is all of this related to the problem I have with my lever?? Since my lever is messed up I was thinking maybe I'm getting it into drive but its not fully engaged or something

Has the trans been rebuilt yet? The front band adjuster uses a 3/4" by 3/4" piece that can fall out of place when the band is worn out ; on my BK 99 it fell into the park rod jamming it and no more park. First to 2nd shift only happened if you let off the gas.Sometimes you'll find the piece in the pan, not uncommon in these trannys unfortunatly....

99dakRT
07-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Has the trans been rebuilt yet? The front band adjuster uses a 3/4" by 3/4" piece that can fall out of place when the band is worn out ; on my BK 99 it fell into the park rod jamming it and no more park. First to 2nd shift only happened if you let off the gas.Sometimes you'll find the piece in the pan, not uncommon in these trannys unfortunatly....

NO it hasnt been rebuilt yet.. It only has 64,000 miles on it but I think its towards the end of its life.. Hopefully I can take it easy on it and get it to last me for awhile..

Do you think I should drop the pan and see what I can find??

Thanks for the reply man!!

BryanRT360
07-03-2008, 04:21 PM
you should feel lucky mine first started acting up around 18,000 and finally took a dump at 24,000. My motor was basically stock at the time

99dakRT
07-03-2008, 04:33 PM
you should feel lucky mine first started acting up around 18,000 and finally took a dump at 24,000. My motor was basically stock at the time

Man that sucks.. I think Im going to get all the parts from Dr. Evil and just have it rebuilt locally.. Time to beef it up:D

Rick Adams
07-03-2008, 05:56 PM
NO it hasnt been rebuilt yet.. It only has 64,000 miles on it but I think its towards the end of its life.. Hopefully I can take it easy on it and get it to last me for awhile..

Do you think I should drop the pan and see what I can find??

Thanks for the reply man!!

Wouldn't hurt, you should be able to find this piece and at least get your park back. May even be able to get it back in place and run the adjusting bolt in enough to hold it in, but the band is still probably shot...

99dakRT
07-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Wouldn't hurt, you should be able to find this piece and at least get your park back. May even be able to get it back in place and run the adjusting bolt in enough to hold it in, but the band is still probably shot...

I'll have to drop the pan and check it out.. I've never messed with a transmission before.. Will it be pretty obvious what I'm looking for once I get the pan dropped?

Rick Adams
07-04-2008, 10:55 AM
I'll have to drop the pan and check it out.. I've never messed with a transmission before.. Will it be pretty obvious what I'm looking for once I get the pan dropped?

It's a small piece, approx. 3/4 X 3/4 X 1/4, you can have someone run the shifter to try and see where the park rod is and find the piece binding it.
If you're going to try putting it back in place, I'd suggest finding someone with some insight on tranny's or do some studying on them, they are pretty touchy.
The front band goes around the front drum, and has friction material ( if there is any left! ) kinda like a brake pad. Overtightening will really mess you up.
In all reality, you're probably needing a rebuild.
Good luck with it!

99dakRT
07-04-2008, 02:00 PM
It's a small piece, approx. 3/4 X 3/4 X 1/4, you can have someone run the shifter to try and see where the park rod is and find the piece binding it.
If you're going to try putting it back in place, I'd suggest finding someone with some insight on tranny's or do some studying on them, they are pretty touchy.
The front band goes around the front drum, and has friction material ( if there is any left! ) kinda like a brake pad. Overtightening will really mess you up.
In all reality, you're probably needing a rebuild.
Good luck with it!

Thanks for the replies man:drive: I appreciate it.. Time to call around and get some estimates