PDA

View Full Version : Autometer Trans Temp Gauge Wiring

Siciliano15
06-29-2012, 04:11 PM
I just got a trans temp gauge. Im all set on the mount in the trans pan and stuff I just need help with wiring it up for the power, and illumination. The ground is pretty simple so I am ok with that.

Are there places in the interior fuse box that i could tap into for the switched +12volt power and for the dash illumination?

The wire colors that come with the kit are red for switched power and white for dash illumination. So I want to make this as neat and reliable as possible and if I dont need to tap into stuff like the cigarette lighter and other things id be happier getting the power from the fuse box if possible....

I tried doing a search but didnt come up with much. Thanks for the help guys.

moparsz
06-29-2012, 05:25 PM
You could use a spot in the fuse panel for tbe power wire. Find the headlight wires and connect the white wire to them so they come on with the dash lights

Siciliano15
06-29-2012, 06:16 PM
You could use a spot in the fuse panel for tbe power wire. Find the headlight wires and connect the white wire to them so they come on with the dash lights

on the fuse panel theres a free accessory port where i can run a wire to or to i have to splice some wires in to existing stuff?

for the headlight wires you mean the ones connecting to the headlight rotary switch? how would i know which wire theres lots...

BluRT00
06-29-2012, 08:25 PM
I pulled power from the number 8 port for the fuse. It is labeled for the radio on my 2000. This weekend when I am working on the truck I will pull the pod so I can install my transmission gauge in as well. I used a mini fuse setup that holds one fuse for the gauge, and other fuse for the stock location it is in.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/IronFoot500/001-16.jpg

Siciliano15
06-29-2012, 09:58 PM
I pulled power from the number 8 port for the fuse. It is labeled for the radio on my 2000. This weekend when I am working on the truck I will pull the pod so I can install my transmission gauge in as well. I used a mini fuse setup that holds one fuse for the gauge, and other fuse for the stock location it is in.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/IronFoot500/001-16.jpg

oh that mini fuse thing looks pretty cool. can i get that in radio shack or something?

is that number 8 port switchable power (on only when the ignition is on)?

where did u tap into for the illumination?

Kingst3r
06-29-2012, 10:08 PM
Put it in the 5amp dash dimming fuse. Thats what I did and I have been having no problems, been about 3 months (LED gauge lights) The come on when I turn my lights on, worked out great. No cutting needed just piggybacked it with that fuse.

There is also a port directly in the transmission where you can screw in the sending unit. I also did that as well.

BluRT00
06-29-2012, 11:16 PM
oh that mini fuse thing looks pretty cool. can i get that in radio shack or something?

is that number 8 port switchable power (on only when the ignition is on)?

where did u tap into for the illumination?

It's the switchable power seeing its for the radio. I believe I bought that fuse setup from Autozone years ago. This weekend I will snag some pictures of the gauge/wiring.

User
06-30-2012, 12:25 AM
Put it in the 5amp dash dimming fuse. Thats what I did and I have been having no problems, been about 3 months (LED gauge lights) The come on when I turn my lights on, worked out great. No cutting needed just piggybacked it with that fuse.

There is also a port directly in the transmission where you can screw in the sending unit. I also did that as well.

Where is this port?

Siciliano15
06-30-2012, 06:23 AM
u guys were a great help thanks. is that port for the sender reliable like does it get readings that are just as accurate as if i pan mount it or is it in the pressure testing port reading air?

Kingst3r
06-30-2012, 11:09 AM
Where is this port?

Its called the rear servo test port located on the very back of the trans by the tailhousing. On the right side of it if you are looking from the rear of it. Google it and some images might pop up.

u guys were a great help thanks. is that port for the sender reliable like does it get readings that are just as accurate as if i pan mount it or is it in the pressure testing port reading air?

I had no problems and good readings, its the hot side too.

BryanRT360
06-30-2012, 11:54 AM
Its called the rear servo test port located on the very back of the trans by the tailhousing. On the right side of it if you are looking from the rear of it. Google it and some images might pop up.

I had no problems and good readings, its the hot side too.

Ditto.

The temps in the pan are 20-30* cooler than what's inside the transmission.

Siciliano15
07-02-2012, 07:16 PM
does the sensor just screw right in or do i need to get some kind of adapter for it?

BryanRT360
07-02-2012, 07:48 PM
does the sensor just screw right in or do i need to get some kind of adapter for it?

It will thread right in.

BryanRT360
07-02-2012, 07:54 PM
http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showpost.php?p=165629&postcount=18

User
07-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Sweet! I might end up pulling the trigger on my gauges now that I got my truck back and the new tranny would be nice to thread that bitch in before I bolt it up.

Siciliano15
07-03-2012, 04:42 AM
oh ok nice