PDA

View Full Version : I Give Up....

uwntsumrtII
07-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Where is the Club support we used to have? It seems no one cares anymore.

KicknAsphlt
07-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Umm....ok...? Hey, on a side note...did Remflex ever get a hold of you?

mtlcafan79
07-01-2008, 04:31 PM
I think it peaked at the MD meet from what I can tell. That Real Life™ thing gets in the way. School, job, house, wife, kids, money, economy, loss of interest. Pick one or more.

I remember when I first came onto the Dakota scene we used to have Hooters meets here in MD on a monthly basis and people would drive from WV, PA, VA, etc. Now you can't even get local people to show up for free beer. I have seen the same thing happen at Cecil. We went from 30 trucks, to being lucky getting five people together let alone five Daks.

Clubs and volunteer organizations have natural cycles. From what I can tell it cycles every two years or so. Fresh blood needs to be constantly introduced or the clubs slowly die as that Real Life™ thing gets in the way. It always ends up being a core group that does the work. If that core group ever leaves, it's usually over.

Then there's that whole organizational politics thing. I won't even get started on that. That goes no where but ugly.

grapejuice1998
07-01-2008, 04:33 PM

10 mpg trucks and outrageous gas prices, don't mix well.

Hugh Jassole
07-01-2008, 05:07 PM

Rob, if you're referring to the nats, I think Alan summed it up right there. Personally, I'm bummed I can't make it this year, but it's that damn money thing.

mtlcafan79
07-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Gas doesn't explain last year.

grapejuice1998
07-01-2008, 07:41 PM

I didn't go to that one because it would have been 4 days of meet for 1 day's event for "me"(drag racing). Between gas (it was still expensive, just not as bad as it is now), hotel and being gone an entire week, I couldn't justify it.

BryanRT360
07-01-2008, 07:47 PM

Whats up rob?? need anything? send me a PM

razman131
07-01-2008, 08:28 PM

this is true.... esp for me/us here in SoCal....

as for the NATS, if the wife werent preggo id be going. instead ill pay to support the cause.

Rob... pm me if ya need anything... ill help as much as i can.

Jontoad
07-02-2008, 12:18 AM
this is the first year its been close enough to consider going. but its a year too late as my focus has kinda shifted twards the SRT, and i took the blower off the truck to get better gas mileage as it is my work truck now.

but its aparently hard as shit to convince the charger club to have a track day. they just want to drive thorugh the mountain roads and hang out for the national meet instead of race. wierd asses.

bad360rt
07-02-2008, 02:16 AM
I'm not giving up hope just yet, but I feel your pain Rob.

I know gas prices suck, but I think we can still have a great meet (fwiw, a quick calculation comparing my expenses last year to this year, it's only going to cost me about $50 more in gas, since the meet itself is $30 cheaper). We had over 40 people put their name on the list a few months ago, I know some folks have had other stuff come up, that always happens, but we don't even have half of those people registered.

Anyone that's been to a National meet will tell you about how great they are and how much fun they had, well worth the expense if you ask me. :biggthumpup:

KicknAsphlt
07-02-2008, 07:32 AM
I hear that -- just wish I could make it....REALLY wanted to, but even if I get my early-out, I won't be able to go....school starts the 11th. I may still register though, just to help out....have to see how the fundage is though.

Rick Adams
07-02-2008, 10:02 AM

Some of us still care, but it's sure not like it was in the past. With these trucks getting old, worn out, wrecked ect., folks are not going to be as confident traveling across the country with them. I remember when the MI group used to be active...... the good old days....

PHILLYRT
07-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Id Love To Be Involved.....i Just Cant Go To Another Meet With No R/t.... If Someone Would Just Take It And Fix It I'd Be Gung Ho Again But I Cant Afford To Take It To Another Shop And Have Nothing Change Except My Bank Balance.... I Love My R/t And I Love Organizing People For Local Meets Etc But Its Fucking Depressing When You Cant Drive Your Truck....(or Fix It)!

I Dont Even Go To Local Car Shows Or To The Track Anymore ... It Makes Me Sick.... The Only Reason I Go To Carlisle Is To See My Friends.... I See Dale And Steve/linda And Blue Wayne Twice A Year And To Me Its Worth The Drive...alot Of Other People At Carlisle I See More Then Just Shows... Like Wayne And Neil And Pete And Dave Etc

I Really Wanted To Go To Stl For The Meet... Me And Chas Talked About It And I Told Him The Same Thing.... If The Truck Is Running Right Im There.... Especially Since I Met A Large Amount Of My R/t Buddies In Stl At The Lunch Stop On The Way To Kansas In 2001... Good Times....

If Someone Gets My Truck Running Right By Next Year .... I'll Put In My Bid For The Meet To Be In Philly In 2009... I'll Make Sure Its A 100 R/t Meet!!!!!! I've Wanted To Have It Here For Years .... We'll See ...

Hugh Jassole
07-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Id Love To Be Involved.....i Just Cant Go To Another Meet With No R/t.... If Someone Would Just Take It And Fix It I'd Be Gung Ho Again But I Cant Afford To Take It To Another Shop And Have Nothing Change Except My Bank Balance.... I Love My R/t And I Love Organizing People For Local Meets Etc But Its Fucking Depressing When You Cant Drive Your Truck....(or Fix It)!

I Dont Even Go To Local Car Shows Or To The Track Anymore ... It Makes Me Sick.... The Only Reason I Go To Carlisle Is To See My Friends.... I See Dale And Steve/linda And Blue Wayne Twice A Year And To Me Its Worth The Drive...alot Of Other People At Carlisle I See More Then Just Shows... Like Wayne And Neil And Pete And Dave Etc

I Really Wanted To Go To Stl For The Meet... Me And Chas Talked About It And I Told Him The Same Thing.... If The Truck Is Running Right Im There.... Especially Since I Met A Large Amount Of My R/t Buddies In Stl At The Lunch Stop On The Way To Kansas In 2001... Good Times....

If Someone Gets My Truck Running Right By Next Year .... I'll Put In My Bid For The Meet To Be In Philly In 2009... I'll Make Sure Its A 100 R/t Meet!!!!!! I've Wanted To Have It Here For Years .... We'll See ...

What's wrong with it, we're not to far apart. i have no more money this year, to do stuff to mine. I wouldn't mind another project.

uwntsumrtII
07-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Umm....ok...? Hey, on a side note...did Remflex ever get a hold of you?

not that i know of.

grapejuice1998
07-02-2008, 04:06 PM
I'm not giving up hope just yet, but I feel your pain Rob.

I know gas prices suck, but I think we can still have a great meet (fwiw, a quick calculation comparing my expenses last year to this year, it's only going to cost me about $50 more in gas, since the meet itself is $30 cheaper). We had over 40 people put their name on the list a few months ago, I know some folks have had other stuff come up, that always happens, but we don't even have half of those people registered.

Anyone that's been to a National meet will tell you about how great they are and how much fun they had, well worth the expense if you ask me. :biggthumpup:

I have weighed the pros & cons for myself;
I did some figuring and gas alone would be about $632 for the round trip. It was about 1/2 of that amount to pull my R/T on a trailer to the Atlanta Nats.
Add in Hotel for 4-5 days, food and brewski's and you're out of my comfort zone.
I used to not care how much it would cost, but that was before I became a home owner. I used to pay $550 for rent, now I pay $1,355 + about double the utilities I used to pay.
Our gasoline bill each month is already $600+ too, so a $1,200 bill after the Nats would kill us.
I would have been willing to ride up with a buddy and share the expense, but I am the only person that can run the business now, since my Dad has retired. If the meet were over a weekend I'd stand a better chance, since I would only have to miss a Friday and a Monday to travel. An all week thing is out of the question.

Trueblue R/T
07-02-2008, 04:45 PM
I'm still plannin on making it but it may be more wishfull thinking than reality..Seams like every day expenses go up and income goes down but I ain't given up yet..It has allways been a small fraction of R/T owners that have any intrest in the club and now we have no new base to help us grow..Not like the NCCC (corvette club) which has over 20 thousand new owners to add to the ranks each year..
One thing I do know for sure is the R/T ain't going anywhere,, I'll never sell it..Just don't get to do as much with it as I used to,,which I hate.. Not even sure I even have a idea of a possiable cure for the current situation but there has to be one..
I guess all we can do is keep trying..

dakotabluert98
07-02-2008, 05:39 PM
as far as the nats, i still hope to make it. im in a lawsuit right now with my company that was to be completed last week but of course it was continued to the week of the nats :mad: . so i wont know for a couple more weeks if we will finished before or hopefully gets continued till after the nats.

KicknAsphlt
07-03-2008, 05:26 AM
not that i know of.

Hmmm....I'll give 'em a call tomorrow and follow-up. I've still got your number, so I'll give it to them again if need be.

00RedRT
07-04-2008, 05:52 AM

Atlanta was the first casualty of the $3/gal gas prices. I think we only got as many people as we did because it was the last region of the original 7 region rotation. St Louis was the second year of the $3.XX/gal gas and suffered the same. This year we now have $4/gal gas and the economy is in the crapper. Luxury items are the first thing to go in a recession, or "slow down", however you want to call it.

uwntsumrtII
07-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Atlanta was the first casualty of the $3/gal gas prices. I think we only got as many people as we did because it was the last region of the original 7 region rotation. St Louis was the second year of the $3.XX/gal gas and suffered the same. This year we now have $4/gal gas and the economy is in the crapper. Luxury items are the first thing to go in a recession, or "slow down", however you want to call it.

yeah i know. it just sucks ass. i wish i'd win the lotto all ready. then i'd buy everyone gas to make the meet. anyone wanna patition Bush to pay for gas???

PeteRT
07-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Some of us still care, but it's sure not like it was in the past. With these trucks getting old, worn out, wrecked ect., folks are not going to be as confident traveling across the country with them. I remember when the MI group used to be active...... the good old days....

lol, thats exactly whats standing in my way... if i cant get a hold of a car trailer- im not going. im tired of driving mine long distances only to be praying an autozone is at the next exit, and breaking down again and fixing it at a rest stop. on my way home from the nats last year, i drove from STL to milwaukee at 55, with no rear trans seal and stopped at every rest stop to dump trans fluid in. talk about high gas prices, lmao- add in a quart of ATF every 10 miles. i still had a good time though.
pete