PDA

View Full Version : Intro/Background

FlyinRyan
05-01-2012, 04:01 AM
Hi guys, my name is Ryan. For those of you that don't know me, I do SCT tuning on the side. I also on occasion do various porting projects too.

My background is in aviation, I am a pilot by trade. I have a degree in Aeronautical Science.

Any questions, feel free to contact me.

BluRT00
05-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Good to see you as a vendor sir. :biggthumpup:

dakrt23
05-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Sweet! I just got my private about 6 months ago and am working on PIC X-country and studying for instrument written right now.

Hoping to be a career pilot but not sure which direction yet.

What is your day to day pilot job? Corporate? Regional? Instructor?

Nice to meet you BTW.

FlyinRyan
05-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Sweet! I just got my private about 6 months ago and am working on PIC X-country and studying for instrument written right now.

Hoping to be a career pilot but not sure which direction yet.

What is your day to day pilot job? Corporate? Regional? Instructor?

Nice to meet you BTW.

Congrats on getting your private. I got mine Halloween of '06. It's a big deal, I'd say about 20% of all students ever reach the point of getting their license.

I work as a journeyman commercial pilot (occasional corporate gigs) and am wrapping up my CFI at the moment. I have about 400 hours total time. Have an instructor job lined up as soon as I finish and move. Poor BluRT00's been sending me love letters waiting for me to move for about a month now :jester::jester:

If you aspire to do this as a career, corporate is the only way to go. You have to be seriously outta yer mind to do airline/regionals. Better pay, less hours, hotter flight attendants. That said, it's a tough industry to be in, you will have to endure alot of BS to get to the point where you can make some money off of it. Any questions about flying, PM me.

dakrt23
05-01-2012, 08:51 PM
I worked at a flight school in college and got hooked on it BAD back then (5 years ago or so) and then had various jobs before ending up at an FBO where i really sealed the deal. Had enough experience with flight training to know the do's and don'ts which made the experience enjoyable and successful. Having a great instructor was a big key. Might get my instrument with the same instructor and then go the ATP fast track route for multi/comm/CFI/II/MEI. Heard good things but still up in the air on the fast track.

Corporate is where my heads at on the career too. I just dont know if i can swing 15k a year for the first 2-3 years only to jump to 40 or 50 if i am lucky at a regional. Have good connections to some majors which if they pan out would be great, but well see. Haven't ruled out being a part time instructor for fun and having a "real" job on the side. Who knows just one step at a time right now.

Glad to see another SCT tuner on here! Have you worked with any R/Ts yet? Any before / after dyno numbers?

FlyinRyan
05-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Finding a instructor that actually gives a shit about you and your progress , AND that meshes with your personality is HUGE. My current instructor is totally chill and sounds like Pedro from Napoleon Dynamite, it's great. :jester: But we get along well and he cares about what I'm doing, it's not just a paycheck. I've been through enough instructors to know how much it sucks to get stuck with one who is either padding their logbook, or is just a douchebag.

Its easy to get suckered into the fast track programs, all I will say is that if what you're doing is working well, STICK TO IT. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

I have connections with the majors too, but have zero interest in it. Here's a story for you. I know a guy who flies a Challenger based out of the Hess hangar over at TTN. He was talking to a guy who flies for Hess, Gulfstream G5, G550, some big iron like that. He's making like 150k a year, life's pretty good. He was originally a FO on a DC-9 for American, got furloughed back in '02. Well, about 6 months ago, American called him back, to ask him if he wanted his old job back. Just for kicks, he asked about the salary. Their offer? 61,000/year. This is after 9 years of being furloughed. He laughed and then hung up the phone. :jester:

Biggest thing in this field is networking and making connections, if you know someone with a plane, become buddies with them. You worked at an FBO, so you probably already know the deal with that. I worked for Jet Aviation in Teterboro for 4 years and I had some of the most killer opportunities literally handed to me, because I made connections with people that either worked there, or through people that did.

Regarding tuning- I have not yet worked with any RTs...I should be soon. I tuned a 4.7 Dakota recently by E-mail, customer is very happy and is reporting a 2 mpg gain. Not bad for a 91 performance calibration IMHO.

I worked at a flight school in college and got hooked on it BAD back then (5 years ago or so) and then had various jobs before ending up at an FBO where i really sealed the deal. Had enough experience with flight training to know the do's and don'ts which made the experience enjoyable and successful. Having a great instructor was a big key. Might get my instrument with the same instructor and then go the ATP fast track route for multi/comm/CFI/II/MEI. Heard good things but still up in the air on the fast track.

Corporate is where my heads at on the career too. I just dont know if i can swing 15k a year for the first 2-3 years only to jump to 40 or 50 if i am lucky at a regional. Have good connections to some majors which if they pan out would be great, but well see. Haven't ruled out being a part time instructor for fun and having a "real" job on the side. Who knows just one step at a time right now.

Glad to see another SCT tuner on here! Have you worked with any R/Ts yet? Any before / after dyno numbers?

dakfink
05-07-2012, 06:44 PM
Welcome!!

Glad to see another tuner available.

Also glad to see someone else from the Aviation world. Been an Avionics/Mech for 20yrs just got my A&P License last month.

One place newer pilots might want to look is China. They have some deals just for American Pilots that include OLD-Skool Airline pay and frequent Home Time and Paid accommodations. Only down side most require 1500hrs minimum.

Also if you just wanting to build time (Multi-Engine) look at some of the companies that fly in Iraq and Afghanistan. Usually KingAirs.

There really are a lot of Jobs out there. The pay just isn't what it used to be, and most want 1500+hrs minimum.

I wanted to save my money and do the Fast Track through ATP. But even after that course is done you only have about 200-250hrs under your belt.

dakrt23
05-07-2012, 11:40 PM
Welcome!!
I wanted to save my money and do the Fast Track through ATP. But even after that course is done you only have about 200-250hrs under your belt.

I have been asking everyone and their brother about these programs and i have got some very good insight from two current airline pilots who went that route and what they had to my questions was that:

1. the instructors are there building time, you know it they know it, but they are professional (from what im told) and they are "very good at what they teach" and when i asked him to clarify he said that "they probably wouldnt be able to teach a private pilot how to land a cessna, but he can teach you to shoot a single-engine ILS with the best of them because thats what they do all day, they teach instrument and multi engine all day everyday"

2. The fast track is great because its efficient. The time lapses between traditional training sessions just doing the 2-3 times a week (which is a really good pace) your skills dull, how much varies with each individual. But you just fly everyday and get it done. You leave with 250-ish hours but they are all multi-engine hours as they pretty much take you from private+multi through MEII in their twins. For a career pilot multi time is gold, for an enthusiast, maybe not the best route.

FlyinRyan
05-16-2012, 10:02 PM
Fast track or not- having the $$$$, time to study , and a GOOD instructor will get you done moreso than going to XYZ flight school.

I've been through enough schools and instructors to know that a good school does not a good instructor make- some of the best instructors I've had have been at small 61-based flight schools, and some of the WORST instructors I've had were at 141/142 schools. Instructing IMHO seems to require a specially honed skillset that pilots either acquire, or don't. I know some fantastic pilots that couldn't teach their way out of a wet paper bag. Take that for what it's worth.

Multi time is nice to have. I think you're gonna see a rise in part 91 small twin operators because the prices on used aircraft have come down quite a bit.

I have been asking everyone and their brother about these programs and i have got some very good insight from two current airline pilots who went that route and what they had to my questions was that:

1. the instructors are there building time, you know it they know it, but they are professional (from what im told) and they are "very good at what they teach" and when i asked him to clarify he said that "they probably wouldnt be able to teach a private pilot how to land a cessna, but he can teach you to shoot a single-engine ILS with the best of them because thats what they do all day, they teach instrument and multi engine all day everyday"

2. The fast track is great because its efficient. The time lapses between traditional training sessions just doing the 2-3 times a week (which is a really good pace) your skills dull, how much varies with each individual. But you just fly everyday and get it done. You leave with 250-ish hours but they are all multi-engine hours as they pretty much take you from private+multi through MEII in their twins. For a career pilot multi time is gold, for an enthusiast, maybe not the best route.

BryanRT360
03-02-2013, 02:10 PM
welcome back :biggthumpup:

BluRT00
03-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Is it true that I heard you are the one that whispers to JTEC?
Are you the great one that can work PFM on such majestic steeds like a R/T?

FlyinRyan
03-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Is it true that I heard you are the one that whispers to JTEC?
Are you the great one that can work PFM on such majestic steeds like a R/T?

It is true. I will follow JTEC into the mists of Avalon, if that's what you mean.

BlakDak71
03-04-2013, 11:35 PM
I vote for a name change. Flyin' Ryan Performance is now "Prestige Worldwide"

Five9Dak
03-05-2013, 02:37 AM
Tuners and Hoes?

White Turbo
03-05-2013, 02:42 AM
" Gandolph"

99blackrt
03-05-2013, 02:55 AM
" Gandolph"

I'll second that!

BlakDak71
03-05-2013, 03:53 AM
Tuners and Hoes?

If you touch my tuner, I will stab you in the neck with a knife!