PDA

View Full Version : Need some guidance on engine build.

Intense RT
06-25-2008, 05:39 AM
Dream parts etc.! Been looking at the R3 block, 4 bolt, 48* tappets, siamesed...It says it has magnum mounts so they are in the same place right?

Looking for over 500hp. So what heads ar out there that would support that? I'd really like an aluminum block though, aluminum heads, efi 4bbl intake, light rotating assy (relatively speaking). This is gonna be my student project here at S.A.M. and I want it to go in the truck without too much a problem (as much as possible).

mtlcafan79
06-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Good luck on the R block... Same aisle as the hen's teeth down on the left.

I personally would do a stock block with a 426 rotating assembly, nice cam, ported Eddy heads. 500 hp is easily obtainable with that. If you want to spray it, make it a forged 408 setup and you could easily spray upwards of 600 hp.

Sick 660r
06-25-2008, 01:45 PM
shortfill and put a girdle on a stock block and I think you would be good to go. Or you could just get an XR-1 block lol

bad360rt
06-25-2008, 02:11 PM
R3 blocks are hard to find, altho you might be able to find a 48* block. But then of course you're talking all new topend, with heads that won't work with our accessories, etc. Doable, but it's gonna cost a pretty penny. Are you looking for 500 at the wheels, and n/a? That'll take a pretty stout build. But a stock block with fully ported eddy's and some spray would be a mean setup too, 400+ n/a and then spray a 200 shot on it. :biggthumpup:

Intense RT
06-25-2008, 03:31 PM
R3 blocks are hard to find, altho you might be able to find a 48* block. But then of course you're talking all new topend, with heads that won't work with our accessories, etc. Doable, but it's gonna cost a pretty penny. Are you looking for 500 at the wheels, and n/a? That'll take a pretty stout build. But a stock block with fully ported eddy's and some spray would be a mean setup too, 400+ n/a and then spray a 200 shot on it. :biggthumpup:

Learned something there, yeah I need to be able to use my accessories. So 59* would work. Any issues with things bolting up? Mounts, brackets, etc.
I'm not too worried about price and if someone's gonna pay for my build I want to get some parts I can build to a further extent down the road even though it may be a little overkill right now. I'm still on a learning curve with getting to know parts availability for small block, magnum based. Can Indy heads be lightly modded, if needed, to work?

bad360rt
06-25-2008, 03:52 PM
I see you mentioned aluminum block in your original post, if you want to wait, they're supposed to be coming out with an aluminum XR-1 block, possibly next year. Pretty sure Indy heads can be made to work, HeavyD is running Indy's and I believe he still has the stock accessories on there.

BluRT00
06-25-2008, 04:21 PM
I see you mentioned aluminum block in your original post, if you want to wait, they're supposed to be coming out with an aluminum XR-1 block, possibly next year. Pretty sure Indy heads can be made to work, HeavyD is running Indy's and I believe he still has the stock accessories on there.

Hmmm Indy heads on a 5.9? I would like to hear more from Heavy D. Have they put any specs up online where I can see this? Dan

bad360rt
06-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Hmmm Indy heads on a 5.9? I would like to hear more from Heavy D. Have they put any specs up online where I can see this? Dan

They're on an R3 block, but I think they're 59*, so they should work on a stock block too. I'll pm him and have him chime in with more details. :biggthumpup:

BluRT00
06-25-2008, 08:12 PM
They're on an R3 block, but I think they're 59*, so they should work on a stock block too. I'll pm him and have him chime in with more details. :biggthumpup:

That would be great Dave! I've seen some impressive numbers with Indy heads/Intakes on top ends of the old LA 360. So shouldn't be to hard to fit some on the magnum motor. Dan

Heavy D
06-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Hey guys.
Yes I'm running a 59deg R-3 block tall block. They are very rare to find. I'm also running the Indy heads. Went from flowing 290cfm (Rt heads with everything done to them) to 345cfm with the indies. Problems I ran into was I lost horsepower with them due to the flow so good. So now with the new 2000cfm supercharger and 2000cfm Tb we are finally making real power. We had to make a plate up to mount the super charger as the front of the heads don't have the accesory holes like reagular heads due.

TurboBlew
06-27-2008, 01:24 AM
Realistically you'd have more luck finding a V10/T56 complete setup out of a viper than finding an R3