PDA

View Full Version : Need radio wiring help

johnmn12
04-09-2012, 02:09 AM
Installing a new head unit into my truck. Matched all the colors on the harness and the radio has power but no sound. The only blue wire for the radio was for the power antenna. I figure the problem is there is no wire going to the factory amp. Any help would be appreciated.

KicknAsphlt
04-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Do you not have sound in any mode? Or have you tried 'radio' mode? Double-check your harness and be sure you wired the adapter harness to your deck's harness properly.

johnmn12
04-09-2012, 01:27 PM
I checked it twice, and it all looks right. No sound in radio, or cd.

KicknAsphlt
04-09-2012, 10:40 PM
What's the brand/model# of the stereo?

User
04-09-2012, 10:44 PM
You said you have the factory amp? If so and you want to use it you will need to send 12v to the amp. If you do not want to use the amp, you will need to wire all the speakers directly to the head unit harness and use the built in amp on the deck, and if you don't want to do that. Buy a new amp and install it someplace and run any accessory 12v to the amp, the blue antenna wire works just like a remote wire. So you can use that one.

prestonmccord
04-09-2012, 10:57 PM
I would take out the factory amp, and all the wires going to it. Then run wires from the new stereo to all off the speakers. That would fix the problem for sure. If you want a 4 channel amp to run you speakers then you can get one real cheap on amazon that would be better then the stock one.

johnmn12
04-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Hooked it up to the antenna wire and it works now. Works in radio and cd so Im happy. Its just a sony xplod not sure of the exact model number. I plan on running new wires when I buy new door speakers and also plan on buying subs and an amp. Thanks for all of your help.

User
04-10-2012, 02:44 AM
Yes, the blue wire on most harnesses is an accessory 12v. Which turns on when the accessories are turned on. Some come with a amp blue wire, and an antenna blue wire, both of them will work to power an amp.

Glad it worked.

KicknAsphlt
04-10-2012, 04:50 AM
The problem I've seen with some decks is that the 'antenna' wire only goes live during 'radio' operation....so the wire is dead when you're using your CD player or ipod, or what not.

User
04-10-2012, 09:19 PM
The problem I've seen with some decks is that the 'antenna' wire only goes live during 'radio' operation....so the wire is dead when you're using your CD player or ipod, or what not.

I have never ran into that issue, even on the most recent decks. Honestly, IMO that stupid. If you switch the radio on and off all the time that means the antenna would be going ape shit (up, down, up, down) burn the motor out faster. What decks do this? I have never seen this before.