PDA

View Full Version : So Cal LX Springfest, 3/24

dakrt23
03-21-2012, 10:15 PM
Will be heading up to LX Springfest with the SD Mopar club in the truck, I believe there is a small parking area on the east end of the lot for NON-lx mopar stuff so I will try to scope a spot out there. Any other so cal R/Ters come out and support the Mopar crowd as this is one of the biggest and best shows in So Cal all year.

They are expecting over a 1000 cars this year...

http://www.socallx.com/

SinCity R/T
03-21-2012, 10:21 PM
I'm still surprised about how they can get hundreds of LX's to congregate from all around California to just sit around in a big park all day long, but no more than maybe a dozen or so of them have ever bothered cruising up to Las Vegas to help support Mopars at the Strip, where there's 1000x more things to see and do throughout the weekend.

hskr
03-21-2012, 10:41 PM
Spring Fest doesn't cost anything to enter and all entertainment and the afternon meal is provided. The Dodge execs are always there revieling new things and actually have sit down Q&A sessions with the owners, and actually take recommendations to heart. Some of the changes you have seen on the 2012 and 2013 cars are a direct result of input recieved during past Spring Fest events. The GWE color was selected based on input recieved by Spring Fest 2010 participants. There is a huge cruise in Friday night. And it's not just cars from California. There are more than a few that drive there all the way from both sides of Canada. Think o fit as the first three DRTC Nats on steroids that you get for free. Granted there is no racing, but the whole exeprience is awesome and will keep you coming back. If you have never been I don't see how you can even question why people would rather go there than MATS. But there are still quite a few that make it a two week vacation and go to both Spring Fest and MATS. The parking lot party at the hotel is just as good as any DRTC Nats I've been to, and since almost everyone that shows up comes from one of the main forums, pretty much every knows everyone else if nothing else by screen name.

hskr
03-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Sadly i won't be there this year as I am leaving Friday to fly home to nebraska. Otherwise I would be there. I went last year. Depending on how well you know the San Diego group, I was able to park my truck inside with the rest of the CenCal LX group last year. But I had asked permission and officially registered well before the event. But I am active on the LX forums.

hskr
03-21-2012, 10:56 PM
I posted about it last year but nobody else showed up. It's a great event with a test drive course for the new vehicles, and last year they had Sam Hibuente(SP?) the factory Dodge drift car driver there putting on demo's and giving rides to select few people. Was kind of a raffle for the ride-alongs.

SinCity R/T
03-21-2012, 11:04 PM
If you have never been I don't see how you can even question why people would rather go there than MATS. But there are still quite a few that make it a two week vacation and go to both Spring Fest and MATS.

Likewise - If you have never been then I don't know how you can even question why people would rather go there than MATS. This will be my 10th year at Mopars at the Strip, I don't recall ever seeing you there.

I have been a member of the LX forums since I bought my Charger SRT-8 back in 2006, I am well aware of what goes on at the LX events and how they have grown over the years - which is exactly why I scratch my head and wonder why the owners don't bother participating at Mopars at the Strip in larger quantities. I think the most LX's I have ever seen participate in the car show was 15, and that was 3-4 years ago.

hskr
03-21-2012, 11:17 PM
Have you ever attended Spring Fest? It's not that far away from you. And you're right I've never been to MATS because it wasn't something that really interested me that much. From what I have seen posted about it, just like most Mopar events, it's geared more towards the classic Mopars. How many Dakota's have ever been there in a given year?

I haven't been to a DRTC Nats since 2002 either because I couldn't justify the expense once I got married and started a family. There is no entry fee into Spring Fest and it's not a race, or a judged car show. It's more of an "experience" than a show. There is little stress involved about having to be at a certain place at a certain time or you might miss your class in drag racing, or the judges walking by judging your car. It's a relaxed get together where you get to re-connect with hudreds of your friends that you only talk to online the other 364 days of the year(365 this year). It reminded me of the first three DRTC Nats I went to more than any other car show or race event I've participated in, where it was more about making friends and meeting people than proving how fast your vehicle is, or how much better it looks than someone elses. And what other event have you been to where the CEO of Dodge(and now SRT) walks around talking to you and is truely interested in what you have to say and how well you like your vehicle?

dakrt23
03-21-2012, 11:28 PM
I cant really explain for everyone else but I really enjoy the LX fest because its closer, more of a day-trip than a whole weekend (which in vegas isnt bad) but its just a little more convenient for me... and i love old mopars but these guys are doing some crazy things with the LX platform for power and handling and asthetics... and my roommate has a magnum SRT8 so its fun to roll with him and the group.. the LX crowd has a great energy about it and is one of the strongest clubs in the industry in my opinion as far as membership numbers, sponsors etc... and by far the strongest Mopar club out there.

however i have been scheduling random trips to fly places to build my hours up for my next pilot rating and i just realized i scheduled a trip to vegas for a night to take my friends since its something ive been wanting to do for a while and i booked it for the MATS weekend so ill be out there saturday morning and alot of the SD mopar club is going to vegas for that so we can all meet up out there too... but i will be car-less

hskr
03-21-2012, 11:31 PM
But I digress, MATS is obviously the end all of Mopar events since you say so. Even though Spring Fest draws in almost 1000 cars from all across the country and it's only 2005+ LX/LC/LY and whatever the new platform is designated.

hskr
03-21-2012, 11:32 PM
And there are even people flying in from other countries to attend Spring Fest.

SinCity R/T
03-22-2012, 02:36 PM
But I digress, MATS is obviously the end all of Mopar events since you say so. Even though Spring Fest draws in almost 1000 cars from all across the country and it's only 2005+ LX/LC/LY and whatever the new platform is designated.

This snarky comment is a perfect example of why people talk so much shit at you on the internet. I made a simple side comment wondering why so few members of the LX community don't bother cruising up to Las Vegas for Mopars at the Strip, and you turned this into a clusterfuck debate with your bullshit. Stop being such a huge fucking argumentative douche, and people might start treating you better.

hskr
03-22-2012, 03:06 PM
And Kevin and I both tried explaining why Spring Fest was such a large draw and you didn't care what either of us said and still tried to argue about how much better MATS was. Hello pot.

SinCity R/T
03-22-2012, 05:54 PM
And Kevin and I both tried explaining why Spring Fest was such a large draw and you didn't care what either of us said and still tried to argue about how much better MATS was. Hello pot.

I didn't give a flying fuck about every little perk you were going to great lengths to explain, because trying to justify why so many people show up at the SoCal LX event was never necessary. Although I've never been physically down there (during the 2x years I owned my Charger SRT-8, most of the big LX events either didn't exist yet or were much smaller/less organized at the time), I do know the general details about what is going on at that event - as I already mentioned, I've been a member of the various LX forums for almost 6 years now. I get it - LX owners like that event - no need to keep rambling on like a huge douche, Captain Hindsight.

Once again, you big dumb douchebag - I also understand Mopars at the Strip is a different type of event. They support all years/makes/models of Mopars. Besides the car show/vendors/swap meet, they also offer drag racing, autocross, dyno pulls, off-road poker run, etc. etc. It costs $50 to participate in the 3-day event, but I doubt that's the reason why people don't bother showing up. The car show portion is 2 days long, but then again so is Spring Fling - plenty of people there. But in the end, MATS is still a huge event that offers plenty of activities for LX owners.

Now back to the original point. Over the past 5-6 years, I've watched the popularity of the LX/LY/etc. platform go through the roof - 1000x LX's in SoCal? Wow! Good for them, that's great! However - at Mopars at the Strip, we'll probably be lucky to see 10-15 of them, and most of those will be locals (except for drag racing Challengers - now that a wider variety of quality performance parts are available for the modern Hemi, they're starting to show up in droves). THAT is what is surprising to me. I never expected the ratio of LX owners who attend each event to grow at the same rate, but I am surprised that the growth rate of LX's at MATS over the past five years has basically been zero.

hskr
03-22-2012, 06:04 PM
It's not widely promoted on the LX forums for one thing. And secondly, most of the LX/LC/LY owners save up to attend Spring Fest and don't have the funds to make it to MATS on top of it. One of those pick your poison deals. Go to THE premier event of the year for your specific model vehicle, or attend an all Mopar event that doesn't cater to your specifc vehicle in the same way as Spring Fest. About the only other Mopar event that draws the Modern guys in like Spring Fest is Challenger Fest in the SE. I know alot fo Modern Mopar owners feel shunned at the events catered towards the classic Mopars like most of them are.