PDA

View Full Version : P1594

Swashbuckle
06-11-2008, 11:20 PM
"Charging System Voltage Too High Battery voltage sense input above target
charging"

I got this code the other day and the battery is leaking fluid through the two caps while running. Has anyone had any experience with this? I checked the voltage with a volt meter and with the truck turned off it was 11.99V, while ideling it was around 13.4 and while revving to 1500 RPM it went up to 13.55V

My first thought was voltage regulator, however wouldnt I see a spike in voltage while it was revving?

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Nolan
06-12-2008, 08:00 AM
Sounds like you may have a bad battery. How old and what type of battery? What's the electrolyte level in the battery, if it's not a sealed maintenance free battery?

A fully charged battery should read around 12.45-12.65 volts with the engine off. Let your truck sit overnight and check the voltage, it will probably be down around 10.5 volts. If so pull the battery and have it load tested just to be sure. I would also have the alternator load tested. In a properly working charging system the voltage should rise to around 14.1 volts but less than 14.9 volts above 1500 rpm.

The battery probably has a shorted cell and it's pulling down the alternator output.

The voltage regulator is in the PCM.

Nolan

Swashbuckle
06-12-2008, 11:44 AM
thanks Nolan,

The battery was new in april and is not a sealed unit. I think I will go ahead and have that tested first before I take off the alternator.

The 11.99 volts that I got was after the truck had been sitting for 3 or more days.

Swashbuckle
06-19-2008, 01:25 AM
Me again,

I had the battery tested tonight and everything checked out okay. Aparently its getting overcharged enough to cause the battery to leak.

I took the alternator off and am going to have it tested tomorrow, though I'm curious if it could even be overcharging the battery when the regulator is in the PCM.

I hope that the PCM is not pooched.