PDA

View Full Version : Shift kit Question

jlaphen
02-24-2012, 02:53 AM
Hey guys looking to have a shift kit put in my truck when i get my govenor pressure solenoid replaced, could anyone point me in the direction of what to buy?

Jstrag360
02-24-2012, 02:55 AM
---> MSaine valve body.

jlaphen
02-24-2012, 03:11 AM
just sent him an email thanks for the input!

User
02-24-2012, 03:51 AM
The Transgo-shift kit part number should be TFOD-HD2 kit. I'm pretty sure, but if your going with new VB go for it.

How much did he quote you for one?

98ibccr/t
02-24-2012, 04:44 AM
what are the major advantages to a valve body over a shift kit or other options? thanks

User
02-24-2012, 04:59 AM
I never had a valve body so I don't know, but I have had the shiftkit installed and OMG was it night and day diffrence, but then again I had not only the shiftkit installed but a complete tranny overhaul built for 700hp. If a VB is better then a shiftkit install, then it must be pretty badass to top the "badass factor" i felt with just the shift kit.

KicknAsphlt
02-24-2012, 05:11 AM
A valve body is essentially a 'shift kit'...just that it's more 'plug and play' when you order the whole valve body. Plus, there have been intermittent issues when installing a kit like a Trans-Go, even when a trans shop does the work. With Martin's VBs, he does his 'tricks' to the VB and all you do is drop your pan and swap it out.

PeteRT
02-24-2012, 05:30 PM
x2 for martin's vb. easy swap.

i would never even consider messing with a transgo kit.

AmberFireDaK
02-24-2012, 09:39 PM
I had a Transgo kit put in... the kit cost me like 80 bucks, the install was like 200 I think. Great mod IMO, even better if you have the balls or the knowledge to install it yourself.... me? I was too scared to mess around with it lol

jlaphen
02-29-2012, 01:37 AM
1 more question does anyone know if i get one of martins valve bodies if i will still have to replace the gov pressure solenoid or if it comes with it.( A buddys dad is a big trans guy and said hed do the valve body swap. I don't want to make him drop the pan multiple times just trying to figure out what to purchase!)

94dakV8
02-29-2012, 04:12 AM
^ price?

98Dak408
02-29-2012, 01:09 PM
1 more question does anyone know if i get one of martins valve bodies if i will still have to replace the gov pressure solenoid or if it comes with it.( A buddys dad is a big trans guy and said hed do the valve body swap. I don't want to make him drop the pan multiple times just trying to figure out what to purchase!) I installed a Transgo in my truck. I believe it is worth the effort but being my first time, it did take some time and adjustment. Although I've never had any dealings with Martin S., I've heard good feedback and he sounds quite experienced. I doubt the valve body comes with the sensors but I wouldn't doubt he could provide them. If not, I have the Borg Warner governor solenoid available through my HiPoTek store.

fortino555
02-29-2012, 06:17 PM
I have the trans go! One of my favorite mods (before rebuild) and you will notice a difference in shifts. It shifts hard n quick!

98Dak408
02-29-2012, 06:24 PM
I called Transgo today and asked if their kit had any updates since I bought mine about 5 years ago. They told me it now comes with a new seperator plate and they did away with the resister intended to fool the PCM in regard to line pressure. They have apparently designed around that now.

bobs rt
02-29-2012, 07:45 PM
+1 for the upgrade borg warner solenoid. Its the same upgrade as the gm piece but cheaper than the GM conversion and is plug n play (no special billet adapter).

98Dak408
02-29-2012, 07:53 PM
+1 for the upgrade borg warner solenoid. Its the same upgrade as the gm piece but cheaper than the GM conversion and is plug n play (no special billet adapter).
It's apparently adjustable too.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19354

pacecardrew79
04-18-2012, 12:08 AM
i have a trans-go for sale. 50.00 shipped. i didnt have the balls to install it. lol!

66shelby
04-18-2012, 03:47 AM
Which will give you firm shifts and bark. The tires when it shifts? Valve body or shift kit? Pros and cons to each.

KicknAsphlt
04-18-2012, 08:39 AM
They both will do it if setup to do it -- read my earlier post about the differences between the two. As for barking the tires, any trans guy worth a shit will tell you that you don't want your trans to do that. When you set the shifts so hard that you bark the tires, you're putting tremendous force through the system and can break parts a lot sooner than if the trans is setup PROPERLY -- which is, you want firm, clean, quick shifts.....but not so firm that you're always barking tires. The purpose of the shift kit is to get rid of the slop/overlap between gears that a stock trans does...which is what wears transmissions out quicker. The purpose is NOT to set the transmission up to slam from one gear to the next so you can be cool and 'bark' the tires....that's how you break hard parts.

JETZcorp
04-18-2012, 10:20 AM
How much is a VB from Martin, usually? Or would I have to call him for a quote? Because the price of the transgo kit sounds nice and reasonable, and I'm very interested in having a 1-2 shift that takes less than twelve minutes! I've heard nothing but great things about MSaine, and unless it's catastrophically more expensive, I'd kind of like to do it "right" the first time.

66shelby
04-18-2012, 01:38 PM
thanks for the advice, I was told differently, but by a guy who doesn't know a lot about trans, so thats for helping me out! now I know

RobbyD
04-18-2012, 03:17 PM
I have a Trans Go in my truck, it made a world of difference. I had the transmission guy install it for me at work, so I know it was done properly and it cost me a Mt. Dew & a Sub Way sub!

66shelby
04-18-2012, 04:38 PM
A new msaine valvebody is $275 plus shipping plus a $125 core.

98DakRT
04-18-2012, 04:58 PM
I installed my TransGo myself. It was fun, and a good learning experience.

Like others have said, made a night & day difference!!!

KicknAsphlt
04-18-2012, 05:33 PM
How much is a VB from Martin, usually? Or would I have to call him for a quote? Because the price of the transgo kit sounds nice and reasonable, and I'm very interested in having a 1-2 shift that takes less than twelve minutes! I've heard nothing but great things about MSaine, and unless it's catastrophically more expensive, I'd kind of like to do it "right" the first time.

The Trans-Go kits themselves aren't that expensive, but unless you're going to install it yourself, it's not much cheaper than just buying one of Martin's valve bodies by the time you find a shop to install it. Plus, unless you know the shop is good, it's a crapshoot on whether your kit will get installed properly or not. Just ask Kevin (GoFastGray)...lol.

thanks for the advice, I was told differently, but by a guy who doesn't know a lot about trans, so thats for helping me out! now I know

Yeah, being able to bark the tires is cool (even I still think so), but when you have your line pressures set that high, your transmission shifts hard even at lower speeds/RPMs, and when it shifts that hard, it's slamming parts together and shocking the system. Over time, it's gonna break shit.

I have a Trans Go in my truck, it made a world of difference. I had the transmission guy install it for me at work, so I know it was done properly and it cost me a Mt. Dew & a Sub Way sub!

Lucky bastard....lol.

Thirsty dakota
04-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Any one know where to find a write up on shift kit install? Any special tools req? And tips or advice on transgo install? If I'm doing it myself and it's something that requires special tools I will buy the msaine vb. If the install isn't too bad I'll save the cash and do the shift kit

360DakotaPwr
04-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Any one know where to find a write up on shift kit install? Any special tools req? And tips or advice on transgo install? If I'm doing it myself and it's something that requires special tools I will buy the msaine vb. If the install isn't too bad I'll save the cash and do the shift kit

Call Transgo. Mine came with instrucions and a video. Maybe they can send you a pdf of the instructions.

98Dak408
04-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Today 01:33 PM
http://www.bionicdodge.com/Download/TransgoRev2.pdf

User
04-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Call Transgo. Mine came with instrucions and a video. Maybe they can send you a pdf of the instructions.

That video fucking sucks! I tried watching it to understand how to install it. It's really old, made like back in the 70s or some shit. lol. Unless you got a newer one, both of my kits came with that old movie, didn;t work to well. Seemed like someone chopped up the movie and left out key points and jumped around a lot. Mine where the new kits also came with the sep. plates and shit.

99DakotaRTCC
04-20-2012, 05:49 PM
where are you guys buying the VB from?

Thirsty dakota
04-20-2012, 06:04 PM
where are you guys buying the VB from?

Ummmm Martin saine.....look in our supporting vendors list...
:facepalm: lol

99DakotaRTCC
04-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Makes sense.

Thirsty dakota
04-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Lol

66shelby
04-21-2012, 03:02 AM
look on page 3, the post i made, says price and from who