PDA

View Full Version : Stand Alone

koolsleeper
02-15-2012, 10:54 PM
I am wanting to put a stand alone system on my truck, any suggestions to which one to go with.

I really need some help, so please give some input.

dakfink
02-16-2012, 04:08 AM
Bs-3 big stuff-3

Five9Dak
02-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Megasquirt 3x. It works out of the box our trucks, you can even run it in parallel with the JTEC so you still have transmission and gauge control. See the meagsquirt subforum on racemagnum.com for more info on people with dakota's using it. MSextra.com for information on the system.

huskerrt79
02-16-2012, 01:15 PM
What the hell, your carbed!!!

Sick 660r
02-16-2012, 01:20 PM
fuck spending 3 grand on a standalone. I went with MS3x. I haven't had time to tune it but the truck does run.

Dempsey15
02-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Are the FAST and DFI out dated now?

Adobedude
02-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Megasquirt 3x. It works out of the box our trucks, you can even run it in parallel with the JTEC so you still have transmission and gauge control. See the meagsquirt subforum on racemagnum.com for more info on people with dakota's using it. MSextra.com for information on the system.

Out of the box....? Does it come with a tune loaded so we can get the thing running?

I'd run it full standalone, pull the JTEC and everthing related to it.

There are some very good tuners using MS here.

SB440R/T
02-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Are the FAST and DFI out dated now?

FAST 2.0 is doing really well right now. Some really advanced features and the ablity to do self tuning as well. I beleive MS3 can do the self tuning also. Tuning with the FAST seems pretty straight foward also, although I will be taking a class when I actually have time to sit in my truck for more than a day a year.

Sick 660r
02-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Out of the box....? Does it come with a tune loaded so we can get the thing running?

I'd run it full standalone, pull the JTEC and everthing related to it.

There are some very good tuners using MS here.

After you supply the info ms requests they provide a base tune for you. It started my truck on the first try and idled in the high 12s

MAKE SURE YOUR FUEL SYNC IS SET TO ZERO!!!!!!!

Five9Dak
02-16-2012, 08:40 PM
Any of the current MS users can send you a base tune that will start and drive your truck. From there it can tune itself for fuel and you have to do timing at the track or a dyno.

There are four or five of us now on racemagnum. Everyone is tuning their own shit so far nobody has felt the need to hire a "professional"

SB440R/T
02-16-2012, 08:50 PM
There are four or five of us now on racemagnum. Everyone is tuning their own shit so far nobody has felt the need to hire a "professional"

Yea yea yea.

Five9Dak
02-16-2012, 09:58 PM
I'm not dogging on you, I'm just saying MS makes it possible to do yourself. Dave seemed to be worried he wouldn't be able to get it started/running.

Mine fired on the first crank with 65lb injectors and idled smoother than stock with the defualt MS ve table and the right constants entered. I don't claim to be any sort of tuning wizard, lol. I all I know is I picked up 1.5mph over the mopar PCM and it has a lot more part throttle torque. Oh, and I haven't blown anything up- yet.

Adobedude
02-16-2012, 11:37 PM
Any of the current MS users can send you a base tune that will start and drive your truck. From there it can tune itself for fuel and you have to do timing at the track or a dyno.

I didn't know any of the trucks on racemagnum actually ran....:stirringthepot:

koolsleeper
02-17-2012, 12:21 AM
If no one doesnt know, I am running a carb engine setup putting the power down i am. So i am going to have to built this from the ground up, using a Stand alone setup. So all the help the better.

Sick 660r
02-17-2012, 01:06 AM
wiring with MS was fairly easy and I HATE wiring.

Five9Dak
02-17-2012, 02:32 AM
If no one doesnt know, I am running a carb engine setup putting the power down i am. So i am going to have to built this from the ground up, using a Stand alone setup. So all the help the better.

MSextra.com - start reading.

Five9Dak
02-17-2012, 02:32 AM

Mine runs backwards only.

SB440R/T
02-17-2012, 04:55 AM
I'm not dogging on you, I'm just saying MS makes it possible to do yourself. Dave seemed to be worried he wouldn't be able to get it started/running.

Mine fired on the first crank with 65lb injectors and idled smoother than stock with the defualt MS ve table and the right constants entered. I don't claim to be any sort of tuning wizard, lol. I all I know is I picked up 1.5mph over the mopar PCM and it has a lot more part throttle torque. Oh, and I haven't blown anything up- yet.

Just messing with you. Just wish I had actual time to dedicate to this truck. Wish I could of brought it with me, but that would of been retarded over here.

skunkxracing
02-17-2012, 01:39 PM

I am also one of the "running" from RM. I had a couple of issues at first mainly related to my fuel sync not being set to zero after my cam went in. I figured it out and it ran great afterwards. Two other are now running over there since theygot there fuel sync set correctly.
I daily drive my truck and absolutly love it, and the ability to tune myself. It really only took me a couple of day of driving here and there to get a solid tune,starting off with a base tune from chris.
I got my MS2 second hand and probably only have $400 into it for everything including wiring and wideband, also secondhand.
I say go for it especially if you would be ditching JTEC as it would be easy as pie to get set up.

99408kotar/t
02-17-2012, 02:13 PM
Wheres all the info i.need to know how this installs on our trucks and hiw to.piggy back the wiring so I can keep my stock gauges? Racemagnum? This seems like a good/fairly easy way to make tuning better for our application.

Slow RT
02-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Wheres all the info i.need to know how this installs on our trucks and hiw to.piggy back the wiring so I can keep my stock gauges? Racemagnum? This seems like a good/fairly easy way to make tuning better for our application.

x2. this is something i'm interested in doing later on after i finish other little projects i have going on.

Five9Dak
02-17-2012, 03:02 PM
I can send you a spreadsheet that has all the connectiosn you need to make. I would recommend you find the AEM viper JTEC "patch harness" Do all your wiring on that, then you can swap between JTEC and MS in like 30 seconds while you are doing the intial install.

Making a more formal "how to" is on my long list of things to do. For now I would recommend you read the manuals on msextra.com and peruse the forum for about a month to see if its for you. You can also download tunerstudio from efi analytics to see if you like the software interface. IMO its the best software I've ever seen/worked with for tuning.

Sick 660r
02-17-2012, 03:16 PM
FYI this is not CEL free.

Five9Dak
02-17-2012, 03:46 PM
My wiring configuration would need further work to eliminate the injector open codes. I have eliminated these codes in testing with power resistors, but my harness does not include them.

skunkxracing
02-17-2012, 07:30 PM

http://www.racemagnum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66
the info is there.
this is inexpensive and IMO the ultimate tuning for these trucks. No need for any professional tuning(although would be beneficial) and everything on my truck works as it did prior to the install of the megasquirt.

Again yes you can keep your stock gauges, stock transmission control, stock convenience features(cruise,ect.), EVERYTHING!

From the horror stories i have read with SCT(i have no personal experience), this is head and shoulders above that. and you don't have to rely on email tunes and shitty AFR's and whatnot. if you dont like something you see in one the of the logs(computer can log over 70 aspects of the engine) you just go into your tune and change it. Done!

oh and it will autotune, and it works pretty well too!

krs1r/t
02-17-2012, 08:39 PM
Name a Mopar V8 in CID??? what are they looking for at race magnums registration???

skunkxracing
02-17-2012, 08:53 PM
name a mopar v8 in cid??? What are they looking for at race magnums registration???
273 318 360 383 400 426 440 ?

Adobedude
02-17-2012, 08:56 PM
I can send you a spreadsheet that has all the connectiosn you need to make. I would recommend you find the AEM viper JTEC "patch harness" Do all your wiring on that, then you can swap between JTEC and MS in like 30 seconds while you are doing the intial install.

Making a more formal "how to" is on my long list of things to do. For now I would recommend you read the manuals on msextra.com and peruse the forum for about a month to see if its for you. You can also download tunerstudio from efi analytics to see if you like the software interface. IMO its the best software I've ever seen/worked with for tuning.

I want..... adobero @ comcast.net

Seriously considering this. I don't have a problem with EFI, I have a problem with the stock PCM and dumping more money into band aids to try and fix it.

Hence the wanting to go carbed.

Sick 660r
02-17-2012, 09:19 PM
Name a Mopar V8 in CID??? what are they looking for at race magnums registration???

probably to eliminate retarded people

krs1r/t
02-17-2012, 09:36 PM
I put 360 318 all kinda shit nuttin worked maybe the site is down or someshit

99408kotar/t
02-17-2012, 10:52 PM

Please, motox250f@Comcast.net. Thanks

Sick 660r
02-18-2012, 01:34 AM
It would be AWESOME if we could get a bunch of guys here running MS. IMO its the best bang for the buck. I'll be using it on the gen II for sure.

Five9Dak
02-18-2012, 10:15 PM
Emails sent. I will send a newer copy on monday when I have acess to my work computer.

rattler360
02-22-2012, 05:02 PM
white racing and marine very helpfull with fast

skunkxracing
02-24-2012, 02:48 AM
Emails sent. I will send a newer copy on monday when I have acess to my work computer.

So Chris, have you finished the MS2 mod instructions with all the details that you and myself went through with my build?

Im sure some of these guys would jump on board if they had straight forward instuctions.

so get on it damnit.

Five9Dak
02-24-2012, 02:52 AM
No, I have too many projects. I generally work on side projects from 4pm to 10pm most nights. It is still not enough time.

We could start a google document and start fleshing it out, starting with an outline.

skunkxracing
02-24-2012, 02:54 AM
No, I have too many projects. I generally work on side projects from 4pm to 10pm most nights. It is still not enough time.

We could start a google document and start fleshing it out, starting with an outline.

I'm in.

I want to try to help others as you helped me!:grouphug:

Five9Dak
02-24-2012, 02:56 AM
Ok, I might be able to put some time in on Monday. I'm booked until then.

Sick 660r
02-24-2012, 03:44 AM
FYI ms3x does not need major mods

Five9Dak
02-25-2012, 03:36 AM
Yeah the ms3 section of our guide would more or less be wiring and configuration tips.

BluRT00
02-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Would enjoy seeing some wiring and info on how you guys set your trucks up. :biggthumpup: