PDA

View Full Version : home porting heads

RED_ROCKET
06-04-2008, 07:16 PM
ok can it be done, i have a pair of r/t heads, the insaide are a lil dirty, i wanna get some polishing pads, and clean them smooth, can it be done with out destroying the heads, would i use sand paper, or what...

razman131
06-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Dremel and some carbide bits and some buffing wheels.

best to try your hand on a set of junked heads first tho....

Nolan
06-05-2008, 12:11 AM
NO, Porting is not something you want to approach casually. After you spend several hours on the first port then realize you have 15 more to do, is not a good thing.

Nolan

bad360rt
06-05-2008, 12:23 AM
Like Raz said, if this is something you want to get into, get some junk heads to practice on, don't try to learn on a set of good heads. And even then, I'd rather pay someone to do it right. There's more to it than just opening up the holes, gotta understand the shape of the port and how it's going to affect the flow.

emwhiteR/T
06-05-2008, 02:22 AM
If they are used heads then I think he wants to clean them to eliminate the carbon build-up?

RED_ROCKET
06-05-2008, 05:22 AM
If they are used heads then I think he wants to clean them to eliminate the carbon build-up?

:biggthumpup:

YEA, I JUST WANNA POLISH THE VALVES, MAKE THE SMOOTH, THEY HAVE A LIL CARBON ON THEM, I AND CLEAN THE INSIDE A LIL

mtlcafan79
06-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Ugh. People should be careful with this. If you don't know what you're doing, this can be a waste of time and possibly a loss in performance. Touch the valve seats at all and you are going to need a valve job. If you want to do any home porting, look for a set of the long discontinued Mopar porting templates. That will be better than just hacking away at it. I leave all my porting to a professional that understands computational fluid dynamics a little bit better than I do. :jester:

Jamie Black R/T
06-05-2008, 02:34 PM
heres a little story for you....a local guy bought some eddy headed and decided to home port them....had no means nor knowhow of how to take them apart so he did it assembled...then cleaned em up with a shop vac

10k miles later had a SHOP build him a 408 cause that poor 360 didnt take to nicely to the metal filings he fed it

chewed cam bearings are not fun...

there i said my piece...take them to a shop

mtlcafan79
06-05-2008, 02:47 PM
I think someone installed a turtle in a non-egr M1 once while it was on the truck. Something about a lot of paper towels and a shop vac. yikes

Salarguy
06-06-2008, 10:17 AM
If ALL the precautions are taken, the risk is ZERO.

Intense RT
06-06-2008, 06:46 PM
You really can't go wrong IF you are careful and just want to clean up casting flash (and don't hit the seats as mentioned) Beyond that it is risky for inexperienced people. Removing the flash will gain you a few cfm without changing port shape or the long and short turn radius.