PDA

View Full Version : Found this 99 R/T on craiglist

98R/T360
06-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Found this 99 R/T on craigslist, it looks pretty good and looks like it has some good mods on it so far.

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/car/651328186.html

wcbrown
06-04-2008, 09:04 PM
seems a tad slow for single cab with the mods he claims?

WhiteRT
06-04-2008, 09:29 PM
seems a tad slow for single cab with the mods he claims?

I think his town is like 7000 ft or something????

14 flat isnt terrible for the DA he is prolly running in....

Sea level would prolly knock a full second or more....

Todd

scatpackdal
06-04-2008, 09:29 PM
it's up in the shitty of 4500+ DA air, which most likely explains the poor appearing ET. it's also not a R/T as noted in the ad.

wcbrown
06-04-2008, 10:02 PM
still 408 stroker running 15 seconds seems waste of money....esp a single cab....seems maybe he's hyping the mods some

grapejuice1998
06-05-2008, 01:25 AM
still 408 stroker running 15 seconds seems waste of money....esp a single cab....seems maybe he's hyping the mods some

Did you notice....he's running a stock cam?! WTF?

wcbrown
06-05-2008, 02:49 AM
if it was your truck and you had the money he had in it you would be pissed on the times set up as r/t and 15 single cab with the mods without cam or pcm he got jacked thats wtf! is it your truck thats being sold? you know the man? :jerkit:

SinCity R/T
06-05-2008, 06:43 AM
I think people vastly underestimate the effects of density altitude out here. When you're in the middle of summer and N/A, you will run at least a full second slower than someone who is running closer to sea level.

I can truly believe that with his mods list that he ran 14.0 N/A. I have more mods than he does, but could only muster a 13.5 N/A in Phoenix, Ben Zapien has somewhat similar mods and was running 13.6. I think the guy's somewhat exaggerating and people are taking him too seriously when he says that the truck will be 1 second slower with the cam swap.

20SilverDaks01
06-05-2008, 01:17 PM
I remember reading about the R/T Nationals that was held out in Arizona a few years back, the Heat Index, combined with Higher altitude tends to Rob the Good air that N/A trucks need to make good power.........

we have the same issue here in Pa, some of our tracks are a little higher in altitude here and if we travel to VMP or Columbus Raceway Park we tend to reduce our ET's by about .2-.5 due to better air quality.

grapejuice1998
06-05-2008, 03:36 PM
I think people vastly underestimate the effects of density altitude out here. When you're in the middle of summer and N/A, you will run at least a full second slower than someone who is running closer to sea level.

I can truly believe that with his mods list that he ran 14.0 N/A. I have more mods than he does, but could only muster a 13.5 N/A in Phoenix, Ben Zapien has somewhat similar mods and was running 13.6. I think the guy's somewhat exaggerating and people are taking him too seriously when he says that the truck will be 1 second slower with the cam swap.

DA has a lot to do with it, that's for sure.
I was under the impression that he was guessing it could be 1 second faster with a cam swap, seeing as how he's running the stock cam right now.

wcbrown
06-05-2008, 07:36 PM
didn't try to ruffle any feathers.....my slightly mod'd cc runs the times he's claiming...just trying to say if had that kind of money into would be pissed but i live sea level and didn't realize that big of differance bc of where he lives

Valiantjim
07-13-2008, 01:45 AM
Happened by this post late, but gotta comment. Living in the Denver area for the last 20 years and being a chronic car head (250+ plus perf cars owned and counting), I can testify to the debilitating effect of altitude. First, consider the aviation formula of 3% power loss per 1000 ft above sea level, and remember that assumes perfect tune. Right away anybody running at Bandimere is down 18%. Factor in A/D and the common low humidity and high temps at higher altitudes and you're really screwed. Full factor consideration at Bandimere often reaches 8000 ft, (24% loss).

World War II created a "no cost limit" competition for piston engine performance at altitude and brought us turbocharging, supercharging and nitrous oxide injection, often staged through all three applications. That's what works up here. I've played with all those compensations and it's the only way to deal with the issue if you want to enjoy what folks take for granted down low. It's interesting to note that normally aspirated setups can get away with 12/1 compression and aggressive timing curves on pump gas that would never work at sea level... and one more point, anyone who's spent a lot of time tuning in these conditions deserves some respect, don't get smug picking on folks raw numbers when it's likely they'd kick your ass if you came by to visit.