PDA

View Full Version : engine oil??

bobby99
06-01-2008, 10:52 PM
i am new to the rt and want to change the oil... how many quarts oil does it take and what kind of oil do you guys use??

bad360rt
06-01-2008, 11:06 PM
Mine always took 5 quarts with the stock pan. I was running Mobil1 with the old setup, and will be again after the new motor is finished being broken in with dino oil.

RTdingo7
06-01-2008, 11:38 PM
Mobil1 also and about 5qts. with an oil filter change. :biggthumpup:

TurboBlew
06-02-2008, 01:00 AM
i am new to the rt and want to change the oil... how many quarts oil does it take and what kind of oil do you guys use??

I always buy 6 quarts. Ive been using the larger filters and on level ground it puts the oil level right at the top of the "safe" indicator on the dipstick.
Stock pan too!
With my remote filter setup it took nearly 7 quarts.

Five9Dak
06-03-2008, 04:57 PM
I agree, buy 6 quarts. It will take from 5-5.5 all stock. Put it right to the top of the full idicator. Carry whats left in the truck and check the oil level every other gas stop. If you have a stock truck it may burn oil through the factory intake manifold pan gasket. Keep it topped off.

I use napa 10w30, but a lot of guys run synthetic. I have had good results using dino oil and a 2500 mile interval. When I rebuild the motor then it will be worth it for me to run synthetic from the get go (just my opinion) The truck's motor was initially filled with standard oil, but that doesnt mean that synthetic wouldn't benifit you. It's a cost/logevity/performance argument.

Five9Dak
06-03-2008, 04:59 PM
....double post

scatpackdal
06-03-2008, 08:11 PM
mobil1 is old news... all the fad is to now run the german blend castrol synthetic 0W30, it can be hard to find though. mobil1 is no longer a true synthetic, it's part dino and multiple tests i've seen lend it to not protecting as well as others.

RTdingo7
06-03-2008, 09:16 PM
If Mobil1 is not a true synthetic then why don't we start the Amsoil discussion? :jester:

Rigeldust
06-03-2008, 11:06 PM
I agree, buy 6 quarts. It will take from 5-5.5 all stock. Put it right to the top of the full idicator. Carry whats left in the truck and check the oil level every other gas stop. If you have a stock truck it may burn oil through the factory intake manifold pan gasket. Keep it topped off.

I use napa 10w30, but a lot of guys run synthetic. I have had good results using dino oil and a 2500 mile interval. When I rebuild the motor then it will be worth it for me to run synthetic from the get go (just my opinion) The truck's motor was initially filled with standard oil, but that doesnt mean that synthetic wouldn't benifit you. It's a cost/logevity/performance argument.

Yes and Yes
thats what I say.
5.5 Quarts.
I run synthetic as well.

TurboBlew
06-03-2008, 11:39 PM
If Mobil1 is not a true synthetic then why don't we start the Amsoil discussion? :jester:

Mobil 1 is nearly $30 for the 5 quart container. So they've cut the quality and raised teh price?

tcuillier
06-03-2008, 11:49 PM
mobil1 is old news... all the fad is to now run the german blend castrol synthetic 0W30, it can be hard to find though. mobil1 is no longer a true synthetic, it's part dino and multiple tests i've seen lend it to not protecting as well as others.

Hmmmmm, just bought 6 qts. of Mobil 1 yesterday. Each and every bottle says "100% synthetic"

Tom

Jontoad
06-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Hmmmmm, just bought 6 qts. of Mobil 1 yesterday. Each and every bottle says "100% synthetic"

Tom

the old product is still in circulation. its on the LX boards right now in discussion. mobil 1 has been reformulated and some blends no longer meets DC or SL requirements. the 0w 40 mobil1 is no longer used in the SRT line. a lot of people are jumping ship. i switched to Royal Purple 5w 30 in the SRT myself.

i don't know what ill switch the truck to. Royal Purple was 7.20 a quart, im not spending that much on oil for the truck.

scatpackdal
06-04-2008, 01:10 AM
i'll do my best to add fuel to the fire of the great oil debate. for one it's a very biased field so it's hard to know what's best. if you really care about oil and your motor then individual oil analysis is the way to go to see what works for you. here's the downsides of several well known brands.

Royal Purple: Royal Purple uses a molybdenum additive. It's a solid... and a metal. But it works great as a lubricant. However...
Cummins Engine Oil Recommendations, Bulletin No. 3810340-02 is one place to look. On page 7 it has a section on FRICTION MODIFIERS states: 'There is firm evidence that certain friction modifiers, molybdenum dithiophosphate for example, can in certain formulations result in cam follower pin failure at relatively low mileage'
Molybdenum compounds in motor oils can degrade and cause bearing corrosion and is particularly aggressive towards copper. In almost all cases, any engine oil formula having 'moly' will also contain a Copper Deactivator which will protect bearings from the moly compounds. The only problem, the copper deactivator decomposes at relatively low temperatures and looses it's potency after a few thousand miles.

Got it from independent oil analysis based on the vq35. Blackstone labs came right out in several of the reports and said that royal purple runs a thinner than oils like mobil 1 and amsoil of the same weight. There were higher indicators of wear in cars that used royal purple compared to other 5w30s like mobil 1 and amsoil. Royal purple 5w30 is on the bottom end of the weight scale, while the other oils are slightly thicker given the same weight.

Mobil1: Instead of making motor oil with the conventional petroleum base, "true" synthetic oil base stocks are artificially synthesized. Synthetic oils are derived from either Group III mineral base oils, Group IV, or Group V non-mineral bases. True synthetics include classes of lubricants like synthetic esters as well as "others" like GTL (Methane Gas-to-Liquid) (Group V) and polyalpha-olefins (Group IV), although actual base oil content of finished blended motor oils is not a factor.
Mobil1 is actually a Group III blend but it carries a Group IV price tag, hence why it's not pure synthetic as part of it is derived from mineral blend.

there is a ton of research you can do on this stuff. bobtheoilguy forum has lots of info and there's all sorts of tests out there you can look up. i was just saying what i did to instigate this age old argument. consensus on many sites seems to be that the german blend castrol and amsoil 0W30s seem to out perform their counterparts or so people say. however change your oil regularly and don't subject it to extreme heat cycles and anything will work.

Rigeldust
06-04-2008, 01:59 AM
Thats one way to end a thread. :hail:

TurboBlew
06-04-2008, 02:22 AM
Thats one way to end a thread. :hail:

No..once the amsoil rep gets here... then the thread ends!!!!!:D

tcuillier
06-04-2008, 04:39 AM
the old product is still in circulation. its on the LX boards right now in discussion. mobil 1 has been reformulated and some blends no longer meets DC or SL requirements. the 0w 40 mobil1 is no longer used in the SRT line. a lot of people are jumping ship. i switched to Royal Purple 5w 30 in the SRT myself.

i don't know what ill switch the truck to. Royal Purple was 7.20 a quart, im not spending that much on oil for the truck.

I just picked it up at the local Autozone yesterday. If that's the case, I'll run down and pick more up tomorrow.

Tom

tcuillier
06-04-2008, 04:48 AM

I just looked on Mobil's website ---http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Oils.aspx

One quote I like---"Mobil 1 is used by more than 70 percent of teams in the three NASCAR® series. "

Should be good enough for my R/T! LOL

Tom

scatpackdal
06-04-2008, 06:23 AM
One quote I like---"Mobil 1 is used by more than 70 percent of teams in the three NASCAR® series. "

Should be good enough for my R/T! LOL

Tom

yes but what mobil 1 oil are they running, is it something we can even buy. pretty much everything i've seen puts mobil 1 in the middle or towards upper middle of the pack in various tests. it's not junk, but not the supremo stuff it once appeared to be. my biggest gripe with it now is that you're paying for class IV stock but getting class III. as long as you're changing your oil within reason then i think it'll never matter. mobil 1 is still what's in mine as well.

BTLFED R/T
06-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Synthetic or not, I still changed mine every 3 months in the truck, and every 3K miles in the SRT4.

Nolan
06-05-2008, 12:22 AM
I run Mobil 1 and change the filter every 5,000 miles and the oil at 10,000 miles. I have 140,000 miles on my first R/T.

Nolan

6speedrt
06-05-2008, 04:22 AM
The RT I was changing oil every 9K, filters at 3K. My Xterra, oil change at 24K, with the filters at 8K. Have 198K on the ute now and it runs perfectly. Used Amsoil in both.

razman131
06-05-2008, 04:04 PM
i use the high milage blends of either Castrol, Penz or Mobile... depending on what i can afford at the time.

got 140K on the clock and use Mobile 1/K&N filters....