PDA

View Full Version : What does this do for me?

steveyacht
12-25-2011, 04:37 PM
I am new here and to my 1999 Dakota R/T. It had a Mopar Perfomance Engine Controller Part number P5007107 installed by the previous (original) owner. I also have the original PCM. I have no idea what the Performance PCM does for me, or doesn't do, for that matter.

Could anyone give me some indication on what I can expect? Do I have to run premium fuel or will regular be ok? I will be towing a light (under 2500 lbs) once or twice a year and other than that, mostly just light weight work.

If there are any better options available now, 12 years later?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

grapejuice1998
12-25-2011, 06:12 PM
I am new here and to my 1999 Dakota R/T. It had a Mopar Perfomance Engine Controller Part number P5007107 installed by the previous (original) owner. I also have the original PCM. I have no idea what the Performance PCM does for me, or doesn't do, for that matter.

Could anyone give me some indication on what I can expect? Do I have to run premium fuel or will regular be ok? I will be towing a light (under 2500 lbs) once or twice a year and other than that, mostly just light weight work.

If there are any better options available now, 12 years later?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

The MP PCM has the usual tweaks, more timing and more fuel. Raised rev limiter and speed limiter. It's OK. I ran one on the first version of my 408. The instructions say you're supposed to run 93, but I never did.

These days people are using SCT tuners, mainly because they're the only one out there that allows you to custom tune to your modifications. I would keep the MP PCM for now though.

steveyacht
12-26-2011, 11:12 PM
Being as I am not really looking for better performance, is there any products out there that will give me better economy?

grapejuice1998
12-26-2011, 11:36 PM
Being as I am not really looking for better performance, is there any products out there that will give me better economy?

Aside from a good tune and a light pedal, I don't know of any legit mpg modifications. The stuff you see on ebay "70 hp and 25 mpg" is a lie. It's just a resistor in a fancy box, which has little to no affect.

hskr
12-27-2011, 12:04 AM
Run 89 Octane fuel with your Mopar PCm for better performance and fuel economy. No need for premium. Run some fuel injector cleaner through the tank every few months. i recommend the Lucas Oil brand. Try out different brands of gas to see what works best in your truck. For me, I get better gas mileage on Shell or BP gas, but better performance at the track running Phillips 66 or 76. And switch up every now and then by filling up with a different brand. Each brand of gas has their won "formula" of additives/detergents, so by switching to a different brand every now and then for a tank or two will "clean" different things out of the system. if you can get non-ethanol gas you will get slightly better performance and gas mileage.

hskr
12-27-2011, 12:05 AM
And o my truck I got better gas mileage running 89 on the Mopar PCm than running any octane with the stock PCM, so don't put the stock PCM back in to try and save money with cheaper gas. The math probably won't work out in your favor. It didn't for me.

AngryTaco
01-21-2012, 06:47 AM
5w-30 should do the trick :jester:

Do what I did for economy, buy a car

Rick Adams
01-21-2012, 11:02 AM
5w-30 should do the trick :jester:

Do what I did for economy, buy a car

Totally agree! Not much you can do for milage on these pigs....
I used the Mopar PCM on all mine and stayed with 87 octane; no noticable difference in milage ( which I calculate every tank ) or performance in daily driving.....