PDA

View Full Version : Shade tree camber adjustment?

Adobedude
10-14-2011, 11:19 PM
Any shade tree mechanic tips on adjusting the camber, my tires are leaning in at the top...Negative camber?

I only turn left, at less than 20 mph MAX, so handling isn't a big deal, should I just ignore it?

AmberFireDaK
10-15-2011, 12:55 AM
depends on how much negative camber you have.... you can always measure it with an adjustable square if you have one big enough. A plumb bob measuring tape and some calculations work too.

I would just pull the upper control arm out as far as it will go and see how it looks. IIRC you want something like -0.3*

G-Man
10-15-2011, 12:57 AM
Any shade tree mechanic tips on adjusting the camber, my tires are leaning in at the top...Negative camber?

I only turn left, at less than 20 mph MAX, so handling isn't a big deal, should I just ignore it?

"String It" get some helping hands, some string, hold the string on the back tire and pull it across the front tire, to check the toe-in. Use a level on the front rims to check the camber.
Gwyn

Adobedude
10-15-2011, 01:23 AM
My garage slab is dead nuts level and I have a digital level I can put on the fronts, but they are pretty bad, I'll get a pic.

G-Man
10-15-2011, 01:43 AM
Do you have the "Mopar Chassis 9th edition" ? part #P5007160, this book should be in your Racers Library.
Gwyn

wyotech_cuda440
10-15-2011, 04:41 AM
The "close enough for cows" (its a dairy term) way that I use:

Jack up the truck by the control arm, so the weight stays on the suspension and the tire's just barely off the ground and there's no bulge at the bottom of the tire. Tie a nut to a string, and hold it next to the tire. If it touches at the bottom, and it's 1/4" away at the top- you're good to go.

Camber won't affect drag racing at all. Caster can help keep it running straight. Toe will make it pull or cause extra rolling resistance if it's wrong.

BlakDak71
10-15-2011, 06:38 AM
The "close enough for cows" (its a dairy term) way that I use:

Jack up the truck by the control arm, so the weight stays on the suspension and the tire's just barely off the ground and there's no bulge at the bottom of the tire. Tie a nut to a string, and hold it next to the tire. If it touches at the bottom, and it's 1/4" away at the top- you're good to go.

Camber won't affect drag racing at all. Caster can help keep it running straight. Toe will make it pull or cause extra rolling resistance if it's wrong.

Actually, a vehicle will pull to the side with the most positive camber or negative caster. But either way, as long as it's tracking straight for you I wouldn't mess with it.

PeteRT
10-18-2011, 12:50 PM
you don't know a guy that will put it on an alignment rack for $50?

Filthy Filbert
10-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Actually, a vehicle will pull to the side with the most positive camber or negative caster. But either way, as long as it's tracking straight for you I wouldn't mess with it.

positive camber is top out. he is top in, negative camber.

I wonder if the extremely negative camber does anything to help lower rolling resistance, only being on the inside edge of the tire?:jester:

G-Man
10-20-2011, 08:52 PM
positive camber is top out. he is top in, negative camber.

I wonder if the extremely negative camber does anything to help lower rolling resistance, only being on the inside edge of the tire?:jester:

I think it does, the Formula 1 guys were just doing that a couple of weeks ago, they went to the Exterme and suffered tire problems, with that being said, they run 12" or so slicks, I don't think a 4" front runner is going to give you the same results, the trick is to not let the toe change as the front goes up & down.
G-Man

Adobedude
07-13-2014, 07:04 PM
My front tires are feathering and it looks like the Hub bearings are wearing out prematurely so I need to align this thing, I put a level on the front tires with it sitting on the floor, they lean in (Negative Camber) by more than 1/2", I say I need to do this because I'll have to pull the passenger side header off, and I'm not going to do that at some shop.

Any tips....?

y2krtaf
07-13-2014, 09:08 PM
Dave,I've used the string method to get basic toe settings.You could do the same for camber,but it would a wild guess for caster other than eyeing your spindle angle.
If this is something you really want to tackle and do at home,look into this
http://www.quicktrickalignment.com

Adobedude
07-13-2014, 09:24 PM
Dave,I've used the string method to get basic toe settings.You could do the same for camber,but it would a wild guess for caster other than eyeing your spindle angle.
If this is something you really want to tackle and do at home,look into this
http://www.quicktrickalignment.com

Thanks for the link, I have to do it at home, not going to drive my truck with the headers off and quite frankly I don't want anyone touching it. :biggthumpup:

y2krtaf
07-14-2014, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the link, I have to do it at home, not going to drive my truck with the headers off and quite frankly I don't want anyone touching it. :biggthumpup:

Right with ya!
It's actually a pretty cool tool,I have some buddies that use it on their toys that they race,with great results.

97dakota318
07-14-2014, 01:31 AM
If its only negative camber .5" at the top, that's not that much camber at all really. Idk if that's what is causing your bearings to prematurely wear, but as long as the toe is good, you should be ok. anything over 1" difference at the top of the tire from the bottom is getting excessive imo

Adobedude
07-14-2014, 02:17 AM
If its only negative camber .5" at the top, that's not that much camber at all really. Idk if that's what is causing your bearings to prematurely wear, but as long as the toe is good, you should be ok. anything over 1" difference at the top of the tire from the bottom is getting excessive imo

1/2" or 1/2 degree?

Dave3240
07-14-2014, 02:52 PM
You're safe @ .5 ~ 1.0 degree of neg. camber.

Adobedude
07-14-2014, 02:59 PM
You're safe @ .5 ~ 1.0 degree of neg. camber.

That's why I asked, I'm over 1/2 inch, not degree.

97dakota318
07-14-2014, 10:53 PM
I've run lowered vehicles with 2-3 degrees of negative camber with no ill effects. 1/2" of negative camber at the top of the tire is still not considered excessive. I would check the toe in..

G-Man
07-15-2014, 01:39 AM
Dave, I just some quick math, I hope I did it right.
on a 27" tall tire 1 degree is just short of a half inch of camber.
So fix the bearings and see what ya got.
G-Man

Adobedude
07-15-2014, 01:52 AM
Dave, I just some quick math, I hope I did it right.
on a 27" tall tire 1 degree is just short of a half inch of camber.
So fix the bearings and see what ya got.
G-Man

Fix fix fix....You'd think I was beating on this thing this thing or something. :idunno:

FYI: 28" tall tire for now.