PDA

View Full Version : Rear break lines

Fezza
10-14-2011, 04:12 AM
Does anyone know if it is possible to order ready made break lines for the rear of my 2001 dakota r/t CC?

Dave3240
10-14-2011, 06:50 AM
Does anyone know if it is possible to order ready made break lines for the rear of my 2001 dakota r/t CC?

Dunno. But brake lines are readily available on the aftermarket.:D

Five9Dak
10-14-2011, 11:46 AM
The OEM ones are availble, affordable, fit perfect and will last another 10 years. I just put some on last night. The aftermarket stuff usually doesn't last as long as the OEM corrosion proofing.

I did the flex, and both sides that go down the axle. Up on the fram rail, where the flex connects to the feed comming down the frame rail, be sure to soak this in pentrating oil a few times, and hold the other side with pliers when wrenching on it. You don't want to twist the feed line and stress it.

You will need a 12mm line wrench, as well as SAE ones (forget the size). The brakes are SAE, the routing on the truck is metric.

Filthy Filbert
10-14-2011, 12:13 PM
You will need a 12mm line wrench, as well as SAE ones (forget the size). The brakes are SAE, the routing on the truck is metric.

and that's what I fucking hate about the stock brakes on these trucks!!!

SAE wheel cylinders, metric sized lines, and metric "bubble flares" instead of the SAE double/inverted flare

in my opinion...OEM rustproofing on the brake lines SUCKED. no reason why brakes should be rusted out on a 10 year old truck. the original brake lines on my Cuda built in 1969 were in better shape than the 10 year old lines on my truck.

I'd put more faith in aftermarket replacement lines than OEM replacement stuff.

Five9Dak
10-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Known versus unknown I guess. Depends on the environments the cars were driven in. I'm under the impression it's well known aftermarket lines don't last very long. YMMV, the aftermarket stuff is an unknown.

Filthy Filbert
10-14-2011, 01:26 PM
True. OEM is known. aftermarket is all over the place from the cheapest stuff you can find that rusts just sitting there, vs other stuff that's covered in that olive green coating.

I bought a roll of brake tubing from Napa, mild steel brake line, but it was covered in a dark green coating, had it on the truck for 3 years and it had no rust at all on it. not even light surface rust.

Fezza
10-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Lol thanks for the information. Even if it was in the form of an argument. Can anyone link the lines? I'm having a hard time using google to find them.

Five9Dak
10-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Search for dealers in your area, then call one.

That wasn't an argument, stick around a bit and you might get to see an argument, lol.

You need three pieces, I kept the bags and tags from the stuff I just got. I could get you the PNs if you don't trust the parts guy to get to you the right stuff. Assuming R/T with rear drums and you want the three rear pieces.

Intense RT
10-14-2011, 02:08 PM
I break for Hooters!

Brake:rockwoot: