PDA

View Full Version : New to R/T but not to Dakotas

Cre8iveAuto Dakcuda
05-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Well I'm back in Dakota forum land been a while ... but this time I have my first 5.9 beast. ... Remember when the Dakota forum was new and free then... I have owned a 2001 quad cab full custom with a shaker, 2004 std cab 4 banger (bad mistake. 6 weeks and gone), 2005 quad 4x4 (sorry I'm not a 4x4 type), 2006 quad and now a 1999 R/T should call it a 2008 with a frame off overhaul but interior, differental and engine are still orginal soooooo.... Which brings me to the topic I need help with building up the engine. Body work not an issue been a while since I've turned wrenches and it was small block you know what... Already did the easy stuff. Hypertech reflash, Flow Master, K&N. Looking for bang for the buck stuff. Inside info ????

hskr
05-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Mopar M1 2bbl Intake manifold, F&B throttle body, Edelbrok aluminum heads, Spintech, or SE Performance Headers. You want to go deeper, then it's really up to personal preference.

BTLFED R/T
05-25-2008, 02:35 PM
Welcome to the forum! And don't worry, we are very good at spending other people's money! :jester:

Rigeldust
05-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Mopar M1 2bbl Intake manifold, F&B throttle body, Edelbrok aluminum heads, Spintech, or SE Performance Headers. You want to go deeper, then it's really up to personal preference.

what he said. and 180 stat.
that stuff seems to be what everyone has.

Oh maybe an Viper E-fan.
get one for me too. :biggthumpup:

Welcome to da club

Cre8iveAuto Dakcuda
05-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Does the group have a resource or group buy on these parts. How many ponies are each worth? Does the M! intake have a matching cam that can go with it while remaining fuel injected? Do throttle body spacers do any thing? What size throttle body are we talking? Already dropped in a cooler thermostat when I reflashed the computer

Opie
05-25-2008, 06:06 PM
dont get a throttlebody spacer it does nothing

hskr
05-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Does the group have a resource or group buy on these parts. How many ponies are each worth? Does the M! intake have a matching cam that can go with it while remaining fuel injected? Do throttle body spacers do any thing? What size throttle body are we talking? Already dropped in a cooler thermostat when I reflashed the computer

There are vendors that work with the DRTC, but can't say we have open groupd discounts or group buys for any of the listed parts.

Depending on your mods, the 2bbl M1 alone is worth about 10-20hp peak and a whole lot flatter power curve. When I put my M1 on, I already had headers, exhaust, ported throttle body and a Mopar PCM. I picked up 20 peak hp and the gain in the upper RPMs was even better picking up over 50hp more than the stock intake manifold at 5300RPMs. And that was on stock cam/heads. Don't judge each part by it's hp rating. It's the complete package that makes the difference.

Cre8iveAuto Dakcuda
05-26-2008, 01:22 AM
I understand the concept as I have built many small block Chevys however that was pre-computer. Typically I'd do a dual plane manifold with a 600 cfm carb added to a 268 duration Comp cam. Seems the dodge boys tend to stick closer to the manufacture vs a company like Eldebrock for a dual plane manifold and cam. I have to be honest that I have never had any luck with headers on the street because of the leaks they always seemed to have had down the road. I'd chosen a cast set of corvette exhaust manifolds that had a shorty header design. The M1 manifold sounds like the next step with a ported throttle body. Anyone running a hotter cam that works well with a reflashed computer? Does the Mopar PCM have a better gain than the Hypertech programmer I already have? I have an in at the local Dodge dealer so a group buy may not really net me much savings over wholesale but I may be wrong... I'm more interested in knowing what parts I need then I can shop price as the budget allows.

Cre8iveAuto Dakcuda
05-26-2008, 01:29 AM
I understand the concept as I have built many small block Chevys however that was pre-computer. Typically I'd do a dual plane manifold with a 600 cfm carb added to a 268 duration Comp cam. Seems the dodge boys tend to stick closer to the manufacture vs a company like Eldebrock for a dual plane manifold and cam. I have to be honest that I have never had any luck with headers on the street because of the leaks they always seemed to have had down the road. I'd chosen a cast set of corvette exhaust manifolds that had a shorty header design. The M1 manifold sounds like the next step with a ported throttle body. Anyone running a hotter cam that works well with a reflashed computer? Does the Mopar PCM have a better gain than the Hypertech programmer I already have? I have an in at the local Dodge dealer so a group buy may not really net me much savings over wholesale but I may be wrong... I'm more interested in knowing what parts I need then I can shop price as the budget allows. My goal is 300 hp at the least as I am use to having Hemi Rams and even a Daytona Charger so let's say I'm a wee bit spoiled on my expectations. I do note a huge difference in torque over HP and I realize that is a give and take too... Any additional links to old tech articles that will get me where I am wanting to go would also be appreciated.

hskr
05-26-2008, 01:32 AM
If you can find a Mopar PCM it will work better than your Hypertech flash, or you could go a step further with a custom tune by Tom Fox. Problem is, Mopar discontinued the performance PCMs for our trucks, so you'd have to find a used one. As for headers, I have the Mopar/PPH headers on mine and with using the gaskets supplied by PPH, I've never had a leak on them. As for the intake manifold, unfortunately, nobody makes an aftermarket manifold for our fuel injected motors, other than Mopar. There is a place that sells the dual plane edelbrock manifolds modified to work with our motors, but they cost more than the 2bbl M1 and offer similar performance. So it's not that we tend to stick with Mopar parts, but it's more that nobody makes a lot of parts for us other than Mopar.

hskr
05-26-2008, 01:31 PM
If your truck has the factory security alarm on it, here's a Mopar PCM for sale. Better jump quick before it's gone.

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53603

BTLFED R/T
05-26-2008, 04:42 PM
If your truck has the factory security alarm on it, here's a Mopar PCM for sale. Better jump quick before it's gone.

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53603

Thanks for the plug! :biggthumpup:

hskr
05-26-2008, 07:45 PM
Hey, just trying to help, and this way, it gets two people with one shot.

5.2dacuda
07-02-2008, 08:03 PM
does the M1 have a EGR?

PeteRT
07-03-2008, 02:02 AM
it can. there are two versions .. one with provision for an egr, one without. i got the one with because it was easier to get at the time and a little cheaper iirc. if you want to run a turtle in the plenum, it screws right in the bottom. if you want a turtle with the non egr, you have to drill and tap a hole for it. if you want to run an egr without the turtle, toss a pipe plug in the hole.

for all intensive purposes, they are identical. so if you cant find the one you want... go with the other.
pete