10-03-2011, 11:15 AM
http://www.sctflash.com/scttraining.php

'Nough Said!

Five9Dak
10-03-2011, 11:29 AM
http://www.diyautotune.com/events/megameet_2011.htm :-p

mtlcafan79
10-03-2011, 01:09 PM
It was amazing how much knowledge was at the megameet I went to. Scott from Spectre Performance can tune anything. It was unreal.

grapejuice1998
10-03-2011, 02:16 PM
It was amazing how much knowledge was at the megameet I went to. Scott from Spectre Performance can tune anything. It was unreal.

I need to get cracking on that book, so I can start to understand what's going on.

grapejuice1998
10-03-2011, 02:45 PM
http://www.sctflash.com/scttraining.php

'Nough Said!

No, not 'Nough said.....

I just called SCT and asked about the online training courses. Mike asked me who I was, to verify that I was an SCT customer first. I told him I owned a PRP package and a Dodge Dakota and wanted to begin tuning on my own.

And what do you think his reply was? The SCT online courses are for Fords. They don't have any program for Dodge owners.

Duner
10-03-2011, 03:25 PM
No, not 'Nough said.....

I just called SCT and asked about the online training courses. Mike asked me who I was, to verify that I was an SCT customer first. I told him I owned a PRP package and a Dodge Dakota and wanted to begin tuning on my own.

And what do you think his reply was? The SCT online courses are for Fords. They don't have any program for Dodge owners.

I showed a local SCT tuner that owns the local dyno shop my SCT software on my laptop. He clicked thru a bunch of the screens and said: "WTF is THAT shit? That has almost zero in common with anything I've ever seen." So much for getting help with my tune from him.

grapejuice1998
10-03-2011, 04:14 PM
I showed a local SCT tuner that owns the local dyno shop my SCT software on my laptop. He clicked thru a bunch of the screens and said: "WTF is THAT shit? That has almost zero in common with anything I've ever seen." So much for getting help with my tune from him.

The best slogan they ever came up with was: "DODGE DIFFERENT".

KTK00R/T
10-03-2011, 05:14 PM
haha.. man, I've been thinking about the PRP.. that's not much help haha

Five9Dak
10-03-2011, 05:31 PM
www.msextra.com all the support and help you could ever need.

grapejuice1998
10-03-2011, 06:01 PM
www.msextra.com all the support and help you could ever need.

Yes, thanks, but we're talking SCT not stand alone.

Five9Dak
10-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Yeah you guys are talking about the futility of tuning SCT on these trucks and the lack of support/help for doing it yourself. I've offered a solution that problem, a system where there is an enormous amount of support/help and the whole device was concieved with the notion of people learning about EFI. I've personally done a lot of work to get the stock sensors and ignition components on these trucks to work with megasquirt so people in this community have that option. If I don't advertise it to people who are looking for full control of their EFI system, I would have wasted my time figuring it all out. I'm not looking to make money. I'm looking for people to have a capable, expandable, fully featured and affordable standalone in this community. My time is worth money, if I wanted to save money I could have got a FAST but that wouldn't have done this club a damn bit of good. Instead I spent the past year researching, prototyping, testing and tuning.

You can have a full standalone (fuel/spark/idle) on your truck for as little as 200 dollars for a used ms2. It will tune its VE table automatically, while you drive. You'll need a dyno to figure out the spark table, just like any other EFI.

If you are interested in directions or have questions let me know. Everything I have learned is for the taking and will save you an enormous amount of time.

Five9Dak
10-03-2011, 06:35 PM
And another thing- anyone want to learn about EFI can learn a lot by reading the MS manuals and browsing their forums. There isn't a community more dedicated to de-mystifying EFI than them.

I would recommend any with a PRP or thinking about getting one to check out the information there.

I'm not against SCT, you guys have all seen me recommend it to people with NA combinations who have good dyno tuners nearby. If you want to do it yourself, I would wholeheartedly recommend MS2 or 3. It's better, boost aware, cheaper and has excellent support. The downside is you need to deal with 10-15 wires.

grapejuice1998
10-03-2011, 07:43 PM
The thread wasn't about alternatives, or standalones. Your position on them is well known and appreciated.

ME111
10-03-2011, 08:41 PM
No, not 'Nough said.....

I'm not surprised one bit. When I got my PRP after first becoming available to us and started tweaking the base tune file that comes with it, it was apparent to me that whoever created that base tune file had a crack pipe within arms reach. At first I thought it was just a learning curve on my part but the more tunes I did and the more tables I deciphered convinced me of it. No real support then and apparently the same holds true today years later. If I didn't have countless hours of my time invested in it already, I'd gladly go the MS route when I get around to redoing my tune(s). Might just end up doing that anyway but only time will tell.

Filthy Filbert
10-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Yeah you guys are talking about the futility of tuning SCT on these trucks and the lack of support/help for doing it yourself. I've offered a solution that problem, a system where there is an enormous amount of support/help and the whole device was concieved with the notion of people learning about EFI. I've personally done a lot of work to get the stock sensors and ignition components on these trucks to work with megasquirt so people in this community have that option. If I don't advertise it to people who are looking for full control of their EFI system, I would have wasted my time figuring it all out. I'm not looking to make money. I'm looking for people to have a capable, expandable, fully featured and affordable standalone in this community. My time is worth money, if I wanted to save money I could have got a FAST but that wouldn't have done this club a damn bit of good. Instead I spent the past year researching, prototyping, testing and tuning.

You can have a full standalone (fuel/spark/idle) on your truck for as little as 200 dollars for a used ms2. It will tune its VE table automatically, while you drive. You'll need a dyno to figure out the spark table, just like any other EFI.

If you are interested in directions or have questions let me know. Everything I have learned is for the taking and will save you an enormous amount of time.

wait...$200 for a stand-alone EFI system that self learns, and all you have to do is go to a dyno to set the spark curve? and there's 10 or 15 wires to hide? ok. I'm interested.

Five9Dak
10-04-2011, 01:12 AM
Check out www.msextra.com and see if its for you, read the manuals as well. I did all the hard work in our electronics lab with EE's looking over my shoulder. I have accurate information for calibrating the temperatures sensors. There are a couple different ways to use the stock crank/cam sensors depending on what you want to do, and which MS system you pick. You can use the stock injectors, or w/e injectors you want, the stock/ aftermarket coil with out without MSD (you can even convert to coil on plug if you want) the stock idle valve works. My engine harness isn't even modified, I did all the wiring on a patch harness made for vipers. (this is discontinued but a few might still be around, or you could make something similar)

You will be starting from scratch (or where ever I am at the time) and there will be work and time commitment, but even the automatically generated tables started my truck on the first crank. All the tuning can be done live, so no guess, flash, check and repeat. Somebody drives and you control the show from your passenger seat.

Also there is good info about what I've been up to here- http://www.racemagnum.com/showthread.php?t=7921&highlight=electrons
It's long but mostly on topic (which is rare for racemagnum)

Filthy Filbert
10-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Check out www.msextra.com and see if its for you, read the manuals as well. I did all the hard work in our electronics lab with EE's looking over my shoulder. I have accurate information for calibrating the temperatures sensors. There are a couple different ways to use the stock crank/cam sensors depending on what you want to do, and which MS system you pick. You can use the stock injectors, or w/e injectors you want, the stock/ aftermarket coil with out without MSD (you can even convert to coil on plug if you want) the stock idle valve works. My engine harness isn't even modified, I did all the wiring on a patch harness made for vipers. (this is discontinued but a few might still be around, or you could make something similar)

You will be starting from scratch (or where ever I am at the time) and there will be work and time commitment, but even the automatically generated tables started my truck on the first crank. All the tuning can be done live, so no guess, flash, check and repeat. Somebody drives and you control the show from your passenger seat.

Also there is good info about what I've been up to here- http://www.racemagnum.com/showthread.php?t=7921&highlight=electrons
It's long but mostly on topic (which is rare for racemagnum)

Dang! Information overload!!! I'll have to do some reading there, and decide if I really need it for a stock 360 with a cam, intake, headers, when I've already paid for the unlimited tunes with my handheld SCT.

but...since I've been messing with this EFI stuff and SCT, I've already learned a lot about it...and am toying with the idea of tossing EFI on my stroker big block when it comes time to put it into the Cuda.

Five9Dak
10-04-2011, 12:02 PM
I would recommend anyone considering it read for about a month. It's not an overwhelming task, there is just (luckily) an overwhelming amount of information about it.

2k1AmberR/T
10-05-2011, 01:08 AM
If you have a mild 360 and unlimited tunes...what's the issue?

KTK00R/T
10-05-2011, 01:12 AM
If you have a mild 360 and unlimited tunes...what's the issue?

shouldn't be one.

grapejuice1998
10-05-2011, 01:14 AM
The thread is about learning to tune it yourself though. Specifically about SCT teaching you how to tune.