PDA

View Full Version : New fan shroud setup

stevenz1inoc
05-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Some of you know that many years ago I made a custom shroud/fan setup that would fit under the 2000+ trucks stock black shroud. It worked very, very well and I have the original pics if anyone wants to compare the new setup to the old, anyway, I just wanted to show the new shroud I made. It's not designed to fit under the stock shroud anymore but covers the entire radiator as opposed to the old design that had the corners cut short to accommodate the stock unit with washer and overflow bottles. This setup did require me to come up with my own bottles just like Sam has been doing with his viper fan. I'll be making a custom overflow bottle very soon and anodizing the shroud and bottle to match. I plan to use the stock 99 washer bottle for the time being. This setup also requires me to use a 1/2" spacer and longer bolts for the radiator support bars that meet in the middle of the radiator support. Not a big deal anymore now that the stock shroud is gone.

These are just low res camera phone pics.

KicknAsphlt
05-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Ooh, Daddy Like....

stevenz1inoc
05-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Yeah, I kinda thought you might. It's so much better than the original. With the spal fan and the spal controller its pretty hard to beat for a bolt in setup.

DakRat33
05-21-2008, 09:58 PM
ooh, I like it...I def want to get rid of the stock fan, and go with an e-fan...

but I see that to do that we would need to relocate the washer and coolant overflow bottles....any help in the dept would be good

thank you

stevenz1inoc
05-21-2008, 10:32 PM
ooh, I like it...I def want to get rid of the stock fan, and go with an e-fan...

but I see that to do that we would need to relocate the washer and coolant overflow bottles....any help in the dept would be good

thank you

Well you can just use a 98-99 washer bottle and lengthen the wires, its a little bit of work. As for the overflow bottle, I didnt like any of the choices I found so I am making my own up. It's a pain in the butt however it will look great when finished.

Nolan
05-22-2008, 01:04 AM
Steven,
I'm currently running a simplified version of this homemade overflow bottle built using some leftover black PVC tubing from work and about 4 bucks worth of misc. parts including making the see-through lense out of a laundry soap measuring cup. I used brass fittings and just threaded them into the PVC. The stock dipstick just fits under the screw cap and plastic lense. My bottle doesn't have the 'spirit level' tube so the plumbing is a lot cleaner. The radiator overflow tube runs to a brass elbow fitting in the bottom center and then the bottle itself has an overflow tube near the top.

http://y2kota.us/rofb.html
http://y2kota.us/images/2006/fof7.jpg

I mounted mine differently from the above photo, and since it's black, it's pretty much invisible once it's installed.

I had thought about using a Jeep CJ overflow bottle.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-CJ-CJ5-CJ7-YJ-Wrangler-Radiator-Overflow-Bottle_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33648QQihZ007QQi temZ170220345255QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://i21.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/f1/73/5f2a_1.JPG

Nolan

hskr
05-22-2008, 03:12 AM
So what are you going to do with the old shroud?? And where's mine?? lol I can't buy ANY new parts right now since we are in the process of buying a house right now.

KicknAsphlt
05-22-2008, 04:36 AM
Yeah, I kinda thought you might. It's so much better than the original. With the spal fan and the spal controller its pretty hard to beat for a bolt in setup.

Might just have to trade out the Viper for that....heheh...

stevenz1inoc
05-23-2008, 02:15 AM
Steven,
I'm currently running a simplified version of this homemade overflow bottle built using some leftover black PVC tubing from work and about 4 bucks worth of misc. parts including making the see-through lense out of a laundry soap measuring cup. I used brass fittings and just threaded them into the PVC. The stock dipstick just fits under the screw cap and plastic lense. My bottle doesn't have the 'spirit level' tube so the plumbing is a lot cleaner. The radiator overflow tube runs to a brass elbow fitting in the bottom center and then the bottle itself has an overflow tube near the top.

http://y2kota.us/rofb.html
http://y2kota.us/images/2006/fof7.jpg

I mounted mine differently from the above photo, and since it's black, it's pretty much invisible once it's installed.

I had thought about using a Jeep CJ overflow bottle.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-CJ-CJ5-CJ7-YJ-Wrangler-Radiator-Overflow-Bottle_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33648QQihZ007QQi temZ170220345255QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://i21.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/f1/73/5f2a_1.JPG

Nolan

I like that Jeep bottle for a tempoary fix until I get my final overflow worked out. Im gonna pick up one! I'd go with the pvc unit but I really am thinking of going with the polished look when its all done but I think it's really ingenious and I do like the way it fades into the engine compartment for a blacked out effect.

stevenz1inoc
05-23-2008, 02:19 AM
So what are you going to do with the old shroud?? And where's mine?? lol I can't buy ANY new parts right now since we are in the process of buying a house right now.

The old shroud is the original thats hacked with the support cutouts. It doesnt look very good anymore.

Your replacement shroud is right here, of course its still a large flat sheet of aluminum but its here, lol

Rigeldust
05-23-2008, 03:36 AM
Wow what can I say. I love it. and need to do it. Very nice job.

That will be my next chapter

"Termination of the Clutch Fan"

or Should it be

"Enter the E-fan"

whatever.

hskr
05-23-2008, 03:47 AM
The old shroud is the original thats hacked with the support cutouts. It doesnt look very good anymore.

Your replacement shroud is right here, of course its still a large flat sheet of aluminum but its here, lol

I know someone who might be interested in the old shroud who really doesn't care about the looks too badly. And it's not me.

1LoudRT
06-01-2008, 08:25 AM
You Taking Orders?????- Have to say I love that set up- Or maybe pass along build specs-/ Measurements so I could possibly weld one up- What size spal is that? Also the local auto parts store here sells aftermarket coolant resv, 2 different sizes- thinking I'll pick one of those up- I already bought a 98 washer fluid resv.

BTLFED R/T
06-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Did you take any better pics yet Steve? :jester:

geo2slow4u
06-02-2008, 02:07 AM
I want one.

Sick 660r
06-17-2008, 02:24 AM
any updates?

rattler360
06-17-2008, 02:31 AM
im running a custom built c&r racing radiator with 16 inch spal fan and controller and it works really well

Sick 660r
06-17-2008, 02:56 AM
any pics? and how much did it cost?

rattler360
06-17-2008, 05:14 AM
its custom built i had two built one for me one for my brother inlaws durango, they where like 550 a piece

stevenz1inoc
06-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Did you take any better pics yet Steve? :jester:

I havent taken any yet. I am hoping to get it polished up in the next week or so but honestly money is really tight right now. It's now in my office waiting for me to take the fan off and send out. I originally wasnt going to polish it but I think it's going to look awesome if I do so thats the current plan at the moment. I hope it doesnt take too much longer.

Sick 660r
06-18-2008, 04:10 AM
I havent taken any yet. I am hoping to get it polished up in the next week or so but honestly money is really tight right now. It's now in my office waiting for me to take the fan off and send out. I originally wasnt going to polish it but I think it's going to look awesome if I do so thats the current plan at the moment. I hope it doesnt take too much longer.

do you plan to sell them?

stevenz1inoc
06-18-2008, 05:36 AM
do you plan to sell them?

If there is a demand I'll make them.

1LoudRT
06-18-2008, 07:14 AM

Obviously there is because we all want one- especially me- I'm trying to delete my clutch fan right now!!! Get started on mass production:woot:

hskr
06-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Funny how that works. You have had one available for years now that nobody wanted. And now everyone wants one. lol

stevenz1inoc
06-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Funny how that works. You have had one available for years now that nobody wanted. And now everyone wants one. lol

LOL, you're right! Its okay though, I think it takes some time before people really decide to get rid of that stock shroud.

How's life in rhw mid-west?

Sick 660r
06-18-2008, 01:45 PM

well you can consider me your first customer.

1LoudRT
06-19-2008, 01:10 AM
well you can consider me your first customer.

Hey :nono: don't cut in front of me line butter:burnout:

hskr
06-19-2008, 02:21 AM
LOL, you're right! Its okay though, I think it takes some time before people really decide to get rid of that stock shroud.

How's life in rhw mid-west?

Job sucks, but life is good when it's not raining. lol Luckily, Nebraska missed the major flooding.

Rooknute
06-19-2008, 05:17 AM
For us guys with the 99 style rads, have you tried the setup on our trucks?

Def want to get a E-fan, and don't really like the price of Sam's Viper fan....

Let me know, shoot me a PM if ya want! Thanks bro!

01dakotaR/T
07-04-2008, 06:30 PM
hey, very nice setup for the e fan. i was wondering, can i get the dimensions for the shroud?? i am getting an e-fan soon, and want to possibly make the shroud. thanks.