PDA

View Full Version : another damn o2 sensor question

wyotech_cuda440
08-22-2011, 01:54 AM
Yeah, I know it gets asked all the time, but the search function sucks, so I'll try to make this easy.

I'm installing pph headers and Y-pipe on my 2002 with 4 sensors, and 3 cats.

Heres the factory setup
http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad274/wyotech_cuda440/c76cd76b.jpg

Obviously, I install the pre-cat o2's in the header collectors, but what about the after-cat o2's? Do I hang both of them from the frame?

Thanks

Addicted2Blue00
08-22-2011, 02:57 AM
i would guess the same as you said, pre-o2s close around the collectors and after cat o2s in the frame. if it doesnt work then youll need pre cats and configure it the same as factory.

Hugh Jassole
08-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Yeah, I know it gets asked all the time, but the search function sucks, so I'll try to make this easy.

I'm installing pph headers and Y-pipe on my 2002 with 4 sensors, and 3 cats.

Heres the factory setup
http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad274/wyotech_cuda440/c76cd76b.jpg

Obviously, I install the pre-cat o2's in the header collectors, but what about the after-cat o2's? Do I hang both of them from the frame?

Thanks

yes, that is correct

wyotech_cuda440
08-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Awesome, thanks guys. :biggthumpup:

Sixfootface
09-11-2011, 10:18 PM

How did it come out? I had a muffler guy drill another bung on the driver side because there was only one on the passenger side. Is that how yours is?

bfranzel
09-11-2011, 10:33 PM

you could have them weld another bung in for your after cat sensors if you like. i zip tied mine to my bell housing and no problems, unless im fuckin around on the highways:biggthumpup:

bfranzel
09-11-2011, 10:34 PM
How did it come out? I had a muffler guy drill another bung on the driver side because there was only one on the passenger side. Is that how yours is?

what year is your truck? im pretty sure but not positive that the 99 and 98 were like yours.

Sixfootface
09-11-2011, 11:51 PM
what year is your truck? im pretty sure but not positive that the 99 and 98 were like yours.

It's an 02. I cleared the engine light with the SCT and the damn thing came back on. I put the other two sensors in holes on the tranny case I believe. Now when I come to a stop, the truck sounds like it's going to die.

bfranzel
09-11-2011, 11:59 PM
It's an 02. I cleared the engine light with the SCT and the damn thing came back on. I put the other two sensors in holes on the tranny case I believe. Now when I come to a stop, the truck sounds like it's going to die.

you should have 4 o2 sensors. 2 in the front and 2 in the back. the 2 in the back should be at least plugged in the electrical harness. as long as they are plugged into the harness it shouldnt mess with your truck. just a question but is it possible that you got the front and rear o2 sensor mixed up? or a bad front o2 sensor? is it possible that you bought a Bosch o2 sensor?

Sixfootface
09-12-2011, 12:10 AM
you should have 4 o2 sensors. 2 in the front and 2 in the back. the 2 in the back should be at least plugged in the electrical harness. as long as they are plugged into the harness it shouldnt mess with your truck. just a question but is it possible that you got the front and rear o2 sensor mixed up? or a bad front o2 sensor? is it possible that you bought a Bosch o2 sensor?

I know the front two are shorter and towards the front right? The longer ones are behind the first two. I have the front ones in the bungs. Could anything happened on the way to the muffler shop? I mean, is it bad to drive without the o2 sensors screwed in and no y pipe?(just headers) It's possible an o2 sensor could be bad. It threw a P0132 code which is an o2 code.

bfranzel
09-12-2011, 12:16 AM
I know the front two are shorter and towards the front right? The longer ones are behind the first two. I have the front ones in the bungs. Could anything happened on the way to the muffler shop? I mean, is it bad to drive without the o2 sensors screwed in and no y pipe?(just headers) It's possible an o2 sensor could be bad. It threw a P0132 code which is an o2 code.

i think id go get a couple oem o2's and start from there.

Sixfootface
09-12-2011, 12:53 AM
i think id go get a couple oem o2's and start from there.

I'll try that. Thanks!

wyotech_cuda440
09-12-2011, 03:40 AM

Mines been working fine, I just got back from a 650 mile trip to Phoenix and back, no problems at all.

My front two sensors are in the pipes, there were bungs in both sides of the y-pipe parts just after the collector flange. There was also a bung in the middle of the Y that I put a plug in. It would be perfect for a wideband, but I'm not using it right now.

The rear two sensors are zip tied to the tranny crossmember.

GoFastGray
09-12-2011, 07:19 AM

Same thing happened to me. If my rears arn't in the exhaust, it runs like shit. Had the muffler shop weld two bungs in for $30 and fixed my problem.
Maybe the 02 sensors contacting the metal frame was sending some odd electrical signal? I don't see how it works for others.

Sixfootface
09-12-2011, 03:06 PM
I was hoping for an answer like that! These OE o2 sensors are $90-100 a piece on chrysler direct! Other ones are about $20-25. Thanks.

Sixfootface
09-15-2011, 04:24 AM
Same thing happened to me. If my rears arn't in the exhaust, it runs like shit. Had the muffler shop weld two bungs in for $30 and fixed my problem.
Maybe the 02 sensors contacting the metal frame was sending some odd electrical signal? I don't see how it works for others.

I just went to the shop and they said it was too far for the o2 sensor to reach! I need to know exactly where to put them. I have the front passenger side where the original bung is in the y pipe. The driver side is the one I had welded in just after the flange connecting the pipe to the header. Where can I put the rear 2? My guess would be just after the other sensors?:jerkit:

wyotech_cuda440
09-15-2011, 04:20 PM
They need to be after the cat or it will throw a cat efficiency code. You might need to order some o2 extension harnesses to make it reach.

It's weird that some trucks have problems with the sensors in open air and some are fine. My sensors are zip tied directly to the crossmember, probably grounded out. I've got over 800 miles on it now including some heavy rain without any codes and it's running perfectly smooth. I havent beat on it much, but I've done a few wot pulls and it runs great. I want to get it tuned before I drive it too hard, I have the dyno reserved on the 26th.

Sixfootface
09-16-2011, 03:39 AM
They need to be after the cat or it will throw a cat efficiency code. You might need to order some o2 extension harnesses to make it reach.

It's weird that some trucks have problems with the sensors in open air and some are fine. My sensors are zip tied directly to the crossmember, probably grounded out. I've got over 800 miles on it now including some heavy rain without any codes and it's running perfectly smooth. I havent beat on it much, but I've done a few wot pulls and it runs great. I want to get it tuned before I drive it too hard, I have the dyno reserved on the 26th.

My cats are gone except for the main one. I think as long as it sees some more flow in the pipe, it should run better. Maybe my spark plugs are fouled from running it without the sensors. I'll check em tomorrow. I also got an appt. at another shop to do the bungs.

Sixfootface
09-16-2011, 11:10 PM
Well... this is shitty. I got 2 codes. The only one that showed up on my SCT was the o2 but they came up with something else also. Gotta take her in for a diagnostic Mon.

Sixfootface
09-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Not happening! Just got off the phone with Mike Leach. He didn't know what year my truck was till I told him for the 4th time. He said that it can't be done with out codes popping up. The o2s are heat sensitive and it needs to read a different temp. Swapping back to manifolds and selling the headers and y pipe. :jerkit: PS: these headers are definitely NOT CA legal! I hate the newer trucks!

bfranzel
09-23-2011, 12:30 AM
Not happening! Just got off the phone with Mike Leach. He didn't know what year my truck was till I told him for the 4th time. He said that it can't be done with out codes popping up. The o2s are heat sensitive and it needs to read a different temp. Swapping back to manifolds and selling the headers and y pipe. :jerkit: PS: these headers are definitely NOT CA legal! I hate the newer trucks!

unless that o2 sensor shit is some cali pcm issue that sounds like a crock of shit. if anything just have a couple bungs welded in and roll with it. i dont see why you couldnt have one bung welded on top of another bung to get the sensor higher and out of the flow of the exhaust.

wyotech_cuda440
09-23-2011, 12:41 AM
Sucks that it didnt work out for you.

As far as smog legal- they were never submitted for testing after the exhaust changes in the newer years, so there's no EO number for 01, 02, or 03. They aren't Cali legal and never were, you just need to find a shop to ignore them.

Seems like there's plenty of 01-03 trucks out there with headers though. Some need the rear O2s in the pipe, some dont. Mine are hanging from the frame- runs fine, no codes. Other people have them after the main cat without problems. I think I've heard a few people are running the rear O2s in the pipe, with no cats at all, and it still runs fine.

You just need to figure out what your pcm wants to see, and run it.

Sixfootface
09-23-2011, 03:13 AM
Sucks that it didnt work out for you.

As far as smog legal- they were never submitted for testing after the exhaust changes in the newer years, so there's no EO number for 01, 02, or 03. They aren't Cali legal and never were, you just need to find a shop to ignore them.

Seems like there's plenty of 01-03 trucks out there with headers though. Some need the rear O2s in the pipe, some dont. Mine are hanging from the frame- runs fine, no codes. Other people have them after the main cat without problems. I think I've heard a few people are running the rear O2s in the pipe, with no cats at all, and it still runs fine.

You just need to figure out what your pcm wants to see, and run it.

Totally man. Even the guy Mike knows and recommended in my area won't do it. The only way is to drop the pipe and bring it to them. It's surprising nobody wants to make money around here!

Sixfootface
09-23-2011, 03:52 PM

Did you have to extend your harness at all?

66shelby
10-29-2011, 02:04 PM
I have a 99 dakota and wanted to run true duals. However all the exhaust shops say that I will throw a check engine light. Iwas told that the O2 behind the cat can be zip tied to the frame. So what about the O2 in the cat? Is it worth the $75 from fastman to get a O2 simmulator? Does it work? Thanks