PDA

View Full Version : Mod question?

98R/T360
05-15-2008, 06:02 PM
My 98 R/T CC is pretty much stock and i wanted to do some mods like a k&n, M1, TB, and exhaust system. My questions is can all these mods be done without any programming or do i need to get the computer updated after every mod? I'm pretty new at this stuff and i don't want to screw up anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Hugh Jassole
05-15-2008, 06:47 PM
simple mods like that, the stocker can handle. It might not be fully optimized to your combo, but you should be fine. That being said, a proper tune will help you enjoy those mods even more. But no, you don't need to retune every time you add a new goodie.

slvr03dakrt
05-15-2008, 07:07 PM
I would do all the bolt on mods first then get the computer reflashed. It should wake it up pretty good.

01dakotaR/T
05-15-2008, 10:03 PM
yaa i would do a flash when your all done. look in my mods list. after i get all of those i will be flashing the computer. you dont need to but it makes it a hell of alot better.

grapejuice1998
05-15-2008, 10:19 PM
My 98 R/T CC is pretty much stock and i wanted to do some mods like a k&n, M1, TB, and exhaust system. My questions is can all these mods be done without any programming or do i need to get the computer updated after every mod? I'm pretty new at this stuff and i don't want to screw up anything. Any help would be appreciated.

With a '98, I'd look into buying a Mopar Performance PCM. You might be able to find a used one, if you get lucky.

98R/T360
05-16-2008, 12:45 AM
With a '98, I'd look into buying a Mopar Performance PCM. You might be able to find a used one, if you get lucky.

what kind of improvement will a PCM give? Where would i get one, how much, and what process is needed to install it?

BTLFED R/T
05-16-2008, 12:58 AM
It raises the shift points, removes speed limiter, raises rev limiter, and adjusts fuel and timing curves. All which really take advantage of the aftermarket bolt-ons for these trucks. It doesn't need to be the last thing done, but it won't seem worth it if you don't.

To remove; disconnect negative battery terminal, disconnect the 3 plugs on the front of the pcm, remove the 3 screws holding the pcm to the bracket.

To install; just reverse the above instructions. It's really easy.

98R/T360
05-16-2008, 01:00 AM
It raises the shift points, removes speed limiter, raises rev limiter, and adjusts fuel and timing curves. All which really take advantage of the aftermarket bolt-ons for these trucks. It doesn't need to be the last thing done, but it won't seem worth it if you don't.

To remove; disconnect negative battery terminal, disconnect the 3 plugs on the front of the pcm, remove the 3 screws holding the pcm to the bracket.

To install; just reverse the above instructions. It's really easy.

does it have to be programed too or do you just install and that's it?

BTLFED R/T
05-16-2008, 01:08 AM
does it have to be programed too or do you just install and that's it?

If you buy a new one, yes. You will need to take it to the dealership and they flash the VIN and Mileage into the new computer. If you find a used one that has already been flashed, then it does not need to be flashed again, and no ill effects will be noticed. One thing to look out for though, if you find a used one that is already flashed, you have to be sure that both trucks are either set up for security, or not. The way you can determine this is, lock the doors on the truck, see if there is a blinking SECURITY light on the gauge cluster. If not, either PCM will work. If you do have security, you'll need one that has been flashed with the security. If you buy new, none of that matters. Check your local dealership to see if they are still being made for your truck, or try Danno on here, he works for Bremerton Dodge in WA.

98R/T360
05-16-2008, 02:44 AM
Cool, thanks alot guys. Hope to be doing some of these mods real soon!