PDA

View Full Version : Shift indicator off? Don't know what gear you are in? The fix is in!

Pneumatic_Tire
05-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Well, I may have just overlooked it, but I couldn't find any info here on the fourm on how to fix a shift indicator that doesn't read correctly, so I went outside, and figured it out in a matter of minutes. Literally. I figured there was obviously a cable attached to the gear shift lever, and maybe, just maybe a way to adjust it. Sure enough, there is. So, here is a write up on how to do it, with pics! Hope this helps some of you if you were not sure how to fix it.

Tools Required:
7mm 1/4 in. socket
1/4 in. ratchet
Your index finger

Equipment Conditions:
Engine OFF.
Parking brake set.
Wheels chocked (just to be extra safe).

WARNING: Ensure parking brake is set and wheels are chocked. Failure to comply may result in injury or death.

1. Remove three screws (2) and driver side kick panel (1) from instrument panel (3).

2. With transmission in PARK, turn adjusting screw (4) counterclockwise to move orange indicator (5) left, and clockwise to move indicator right.

3. When orange indicator (5) is in desired position, shift gear selector (not shown) through all gears. If indicator is out of adjustment in any other gear, continue adjusting screw (4) in that gear until indicator is in desired position.

4. Install driver side kick panel (2) on instrument panel (3) with three screws (1). DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN.

Once again, hopefully this helps. Maybe this can be a sticky??

Intense RT
05-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Good instruction.

I did this a while back. Went to trans shop and never took it back to fix the gear selector lever adjustment. Too busy and they are kinda far away.

My gear lever has to be wiggled and lightly pushed forward. Trans guy had the VB out.

Black98R/T
05-28-2011, 07:43 PM
kinda funny you would mention the indicator being off a bit, in the R/T mine is also WAY off, sometimes when i put it in P i cant even see the orange indicator..

Pneumatic_Tire
05-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Yep, if the orange is off this should fix it right up. I couldn't take it anymore, mine was always about halfway off. Glad I could help.

charlieb40
08-12-2011, 03:28 AM
Good instruction.

I did this a while back. Went to trans shop and never took it back to fix the gear selector lever adjustment. Too busy and they are kinda far away.

My gear lever has to be wiggled and lightly pushed forward. Trans guy had the VB out.

you should check that out good,if the manual valve is off it could cause a pressure loss and burn up the forward cluch.the manual valve is connected dirctly thru the linkage on the side of the case,your shift indicator should not be off.that valve is directing pressure thru the valve body,if its off it reduces pressure thru the valvebody,therefore reducing pressure everywhere.it may be fine,just seen this happen before.

Black98R/T
08-12-2011, 05:56 PM
just did it, works great now, but if your in a rush or something you dont actually have to remove the kick panel, stick your head under the dash and look slightly to the right(left from upright point of view) of the steering colum.
thanks for the info!